Splitter only running on Choke

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat-face timber

Knot Bumper
Reaction score
Yesturday, me and my Grandson got my Mom some Firewood (Pinyon) and we started splitting it for her with her Splitter, Well the Splitter was hard to start and when it finally did it would only run on Choke.
The weather was cold, windy and snow/rain mix.
We splitted all the wood we got her.
The Splitter is about 10 years old and has a Honda engine.

Why would it only run on Choke, even after it warmed up I tried to push in the choke and it would stumble and die, unless I pulled the choke back out.

I had the same problem last year with my Honda generator. I drained the gas and replaced with fresh, problem solved.
I hope your problem is this simple.

Usually don't need a kit. Just drop the bowl. Pull jet and clean. I use a torch tip cleaner. Spray all orifices with a good quality carb cleaner then use blow gun and blow out orifices. That should fix it. Hondas have real simple carburetors.

Sometimes you can run them with the choke on & they will self clean, especially if it is water in the fuel. If you are running it with the choke on & it starts to run rough, try turning the choke off & see it has.

If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, pull it apart and drop it in for a couple hours. I've found that is the best way to restore a carb....

Most of this has been said already but since I used to work in a small engine shop I can tell you what we did. If it would not run without the choke on it was almost always a clogged carb due to bad fuel. The ethanol in fuel today absorbs water and gas goes bad much quicker. When it starts setting up the tiny openings in your carb get clogged with varnish. Sometimes fresh gas and carb cleaner is all it needs. Next step is to take the carb apart and drop it in an ultrasonic cleaner. If that didn't fix it we replaced the carb with a new one. Most of the small engine carb kits were as expensive as the new carb anyway and the varnish will set up in places that you can't get cleaned out sometimes. We never rebuilt a carb the whole time I worked there.

4seasons, I hear ya. The carb on my honda splitter motor was varnished up and I tried cleaning it with a can of hog wash that I had. That wouldn't cut the varnish. I did some looking, and a new carb was just under $20. Lets see.....work at cleaning it for how long? or just replace it? Guess what happened.

Back