Pine seasoning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rburg44

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok gettin about 8 pines pushed over tomorrow in back yard average 14" at base! Im sure they will be sappy as hell how long should i wait to split them after bucked then after split should a year be good to burn or two years? Never burned pine and dont wanna take any chances with sap and what not thanks!

All I have is Pine. Where I am you cut it in the fall and burn that winter. A few years and it is down to single digit moisture.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Boy, those pines sure make some NICE construction lumber... I take all I can get, just for that reason.

SR

I split em as I buck em. If I cut them down when green, I'll leave till the next heating season. Keep an eye on your chimney, no matter how dry you get it it will leave creosote.

I split em as I buck em. If I cut them down when green, I'll leave till the next heating season. Keep an eye on your chimney, no matter how dry you get it it will leave creosote.

Yes thats what i was worried about is creosote didnt know whats best for pine!

I mill all the pine I can get my hands on,

standard.jpg

and then saw all the slab wood into firewood,

standard.jpg

It doesn't last all that long in the stove, but at least I'm putting the whole log to the BEST use.

SR

Pine....poplar.....imo burns nice and hot when its dried for a full year. Creosote what's that :-D. Family cottage been burning wood for 60 years mix of all wood. And we've cleaned a chimney a hand full of times....barely anything comes out. And that with a 40 year old stove....were g err tying a pacific energy super27 this year and cant wait to use it......

Im not stating you shouldn't clean your chimney as creosote can build but everyone's conditions are different and its better to be safe than sorry. Im going to start sweeping every other year from here on out as going forward. Im much more aware of the dangers now after becoming a member here. I barely knew how to use a chainsaw 2 years ago and now rebuild them. I sell firewood on the side. Its amazing the amount of knowledge and skills you can attain in a couple years.
Sorry for goin of track lol.

Over half my firewood is pine. Then maple, oak, spruce, and a few other in that order.

We burn what we have. If I was rich I would be ordering propane lol

Disagree on the creosote.

If it's dry it shouldn't leave any more creosote than any other wood dried the same.

I mill all the pine I can get my hands on,

and then saw all the slab wood into firewood,

It doesn't last all that long in the stove, but at least I'm putting the whole log to the BEST use.

SR

That's really a slick setup. I'd like to do that, but I'd have to sell my trucks and even then couldn't afford a decent bandsaw mill...then all I could haul the mill and logs around with is my busted moped.

That's really a slick setup. I'd like to do that, but I'd have to sell my trucks and even then couldn't afford a decent bandsaw mill...then all I could haul the mill and logs around with is my busted moped.

Thanks Zogger, but you don't need to spend a fortune to have a good quality accurate BSM. I see nice used Norwood Lumbermate 2000's fairly often and they will turn out lumber like this,

standard.jpg

Day after day, year after year, making your money back for you, in your spare time!

I don't mill full time, but I did take a job milling out the lumber for a porch for a guy, here's some of the lumber,

standard.jpg

He got exactly what he wanted, and my sawmill paid for itself, once again!

SR

I cut mine last spring, split and stacked it early summer, and burnt it thos past winter. I have negligable creosote...no more than the oak I burn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Thanks Zogger, but you don't need to spend a fortune to have a good quality accurate BSM. I see nice used Norwood Lumbermate 2000's fairly often and they will turn out lumber like this,

Day after day, year after year, making your money back for you, in your spare time!

I don't mill full time, but I did take a job milling out the lumber for a porch for a guy, here's some of the lumber,

He got exactly what he wanted, and my sawmill paid for itself, once again!

SR

Ya, that's pretty cool and I can see once you have a market for the lumber you can make it pay. Just it is still big bucks from my perspective to get started. Just ran a nationwide CL search on that model, beaucoup thousand$ used.

I'm a dozenaire....hahahaha! Some guys have the loot to get started in a biz like that, I just don't. I have access to a plethora of nice big trees here, that's it. It's difficult enough to just make firewood, although I really would prefer to see the larger logs milled, just no way to do that at this time. I could proly do some freehand slabbing, that's about it, it wouldn't be near as nice as that lumber you make. Plus lots harder to do.

Maybe someday, who knows.

Welp they all down 9 pines 2 mualberrys and one unknown jd 7520 took care of them in bout 2 hrs now the clean up begins once the rain stops already phoned in to friends and cashed in on the favors they owe me hopefully have it cleaned up by next weekend weather permitting of course! I will cut an split asap stack it and see how it dries but i will burn whatever so bring it on u all said its fine! Next winters shoulder season wood!image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Ya, that's pretty cool and I can see once you have a market for the lumber you can make it pay. Just it is still big bucks from my perspective to get started. Just ran a nationwide CL search on that model, beaucoup thousand$ used.

I'm a dozenaire....hahahaha! Some guys have the loot to get started in a biz like that, I just don't. I have access to a plethora of nice big trees here, that's it. It's difficult enough to just make firewood, although I really would prefer to see the larger logs milled, just no way to do that at this time. I could proly do some freehand slabbing, that's about it, it wouldn't be near as nice as that lumber you make. Plus lots harder to do.

Maybe someday, who knows.

I see Norwood Lumbermate 2000's just like mine for about $4,000.00 or a bit more......that's really not much money "these days"!

They will handle big or small logs with ease and they make great lumber,

standard.jpg

SR

I see Norwood Lumbermate 2000's just like mine for about $4,000.00 or a bit more......that's really not much money "these days"!

They will handle big or small logs with ease and they make great lumber,

SR

Again, they look fantastic, but 4 grand is quite a bit to me, that's half a year's income. Might as well be a million, ha!

These days. I made more pre accident, but not since then, forced to work part time..which beats not being able to work at all. super grateful I can do what I can do, docs said wheelchair or walker, I proved them wrong. but never got back to 100%.

Really, good for you and the guys who can get good equipment and stuff like that mill, just burning the scraps for heat and making value added lumber really *is* a cool thing to do with logs. And then go further and build stuff with the lumber, structures to furniture. I am lucky enough my boss lets me use a tractor and old trailer to haul wood out and I have been able to scrounge up some decent saws and can putz at it now and then when I am feeling good. Maybe eventually I will get a mill, who knows.

Latest posts

Back