Firewood bucking/splitting rate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"its the government tax that keeps on taxing companies to the point they have to leave America and look for other places to conduct their business."

Actually, the US has some of the lowest corporate tax rates in the world. Many even end up with "negative" tax when you factor in everything including tax deductions, incentives, and write offs, including huge depreciation allowances. The biggest expense to corporations and the #1 reason they leave for foreign markets is labor.
Unions had their time, and did huge things for the work force. Unfortunately they have outlived their usefulness but there is too much money to be made by those that run them to ever get rid of them now.

Ok so they made 2,400 dollars in 2 days. But when you consider there expenses, like hourly rate, insurance, taxes, fuel, chains, oil, travel expenses, wear and tear on there equipment. They didn’t make that much. If you sell cords for 200 each pick up price you’ll make 12,000 minus the 2,400 you spent and you’ll come out making 9,600 dollars and you didn’t do anything. Like I said, the ones that work the hardest and have expenses you don’t have, always come out on the short end of the deal. It cost you zero money to advertize on CL so what expenses do you have? Yet you did nothing but point your finger and say what you needed done, answer a few phone calls and you made 4 times what the guys that did all the hard work did. I’m sure those guys would gladly trade places with you. I’m sure you felt like you did them a favor by giving them some work.

Hourly rate ? How is that an expense ? Insurance ? Pretty sure they had none. Taxes? I paid cash. I doubt they declared the income. Chains? Machine had a circular blade. Oil ? Didn't smell like they were burning any. Fuel ? 60 HP diesel. I think he said it cost about $30 per day. Travel ? They pulled the machine with a pickup truck 80 miles. Maybe $100. Pretty sure they did OK for two days work.

Those logs didn't just land in my driveway. The logger got paid $70 per cord. The trucker got paid $70 per cord for delivery. The guys who processed got $40 per cord. I pay students $20 per cord to stack on pallets. That makes my cost $210 per cord. I then sit on the wood for 6-8 months. Trust me, I don't sell wood for $ 200 per cord. That would make me a complete idiot.

The guy with the processor called me the other day to see if I had more logs to process. He must be a glutton for punishment.

Ok, bowing back in...

I'm glad blackdogon57 spelled it out, even though I doubt it did any good. I'll bet everyone listed (logger, driver, students, etc.) did appreciate having someone hire them for the job they performed. Trickle down at its best. I know if I'm looking for work on the side to make some extra cash I appreciate what is offered to me. If I don't think its worth my time I don't do it. If it is, I do. If my family were starving, as in sb47's example, I'd take what I could get and be glad to have a job. I've always been fortunate enough to have some "rich" guy pay me to do things so I guess I can't see his side clearly. And, that is why I bowed out in the first place...not worth my time to argue.

And who said Liberals were a dying breed in Texas?

To be fair not every situation is not the same. Not everyone has to have wood hauled in, they may have there own land and trees to cut. Not every wood lot pays to stack the wood, they wind row it in piles and let it season. Not every wood lot delivers. The land that is being used is usually land they would pay taxes on anyway weather they sold wood or not. As far as the US being the lowest taxed for small business is not what I’ve been told by small business. We’ve all seen the news reports on how small business are being taxed to death and have to close there doors because of it. That’s why many corporations out source there work over seas, to get around paying the expenses of operating in the US. If you are not reporting the income then your breaking the law and if caught could be fined or put in jail for tax fraud. That cord king processor is not a cheap machine to buy or maintain. You’re looking at a sizable investment and if it was financed then that cost has to be factored in as well. Then you have to have a loader to keep feeding it wood.

We could argue this all day and all expenses have to be factored in for every different situation. Hiring cheap labor is not a new concept. Companies have done this for ever.

Like is said in the beginning, I’ll gladly pay 40 dollars a cord to have my wood cut and split. And I also said not all wood is equal.

Every situation is different but the bottom line is someone that spends the most is usually the ones that get paid the least. The ones at the top generally use cheap labor and they reap the biggest rewards. It seems like the only ones that make these clams of high cost to operate are the ones at the top in an effort to justify there means.

It’s like the old share cropper that hires the down and out, giving them just enough to survive but never giving them enough to get ahead no mater how hard they work while the land owner reaps the rewards. It’s the same old story that’s been played out ever since time began. Also to be fare not everyone does this but most people with the operating capital do.

Ok, bowing back in...

I'm glad blackdogon57 spelled it out, even though I doubt it did any good. I'll bet everyone listed (logger, driver, students, etc.) did appreciate having someone hire them for the job they performed. Trickle down at its best. I know if I'm looking for work on the side to make some extra cash I appreciate what is offered to me. If I don't think its worth my time I don't do it. If it is, I do. If my family were starving, as in sb47's example, I'd take what I could get and be glad to have a job. I've always been fortunate enough to have some "rich" guy pay me to do things so I guess I can't see his side clearly. And, that is why I bowed out in the first place...not worth my time to argue.

And who said Liberals were a dying breed in Texas?

You live in Michigan yet you call yourself Tex. Yet when the big three car makers abandon you and sent there business overseas because union labor got so high and it was cheaper to send the work overseas. You all came down here to Texas looking for work. How ironic is that? And you call me a liberal! lol

I’ll give one more example. Ever watch the show Shark Tank? The sharks with the money want to take the biggest piece of the pie when the inventor did all the work and came up with the concept or idea.

I’ll give one more example. Ever watch the show Shark Tank? The sharks with the money want to take the biggest piece of the pie when the inventor did all the work and came up with the concept or idea.

Don't want to hijack this thread as I've happily been reading from the sidelines but I have to agree with this statement. I enjoy the show and the general concept but it does bug me that million/billionaires are trying to squeeze pennies out of hard working people. I do realize this is how the business world often works but it just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Did you see the one where the guy came up an individual irrigation system for each tree in orchards to help protect them during the frost season? The guy who invented it was a farmer himself. He was only making $1 on each unit sold. When "Mr. Nice Guy" (the most obnoxious of the sharks in my opinion) asked why would you only mark it up $1 in a condescending tone. The guy simply replied with a lost look on his face "they are just farmers trying to make a living". We need more people with that thought process in this country.

Don't want to hijack this thread as I've happily been reading from the sidelines but I have to agree with this statement. I enjoy the show and the general concept but it does bug me that million/billionaires are trying to squeeze pennies out of hard working people. I do realize this is how the business world often works but it just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Did you see the one where the guy came up an individual irrigation system for each tree in orchards to help protect them during the frost season? The guy who invented it was a farmer himself. He was only making $1 on each unit sold. When "Mr. Nice Guy" (the most obnoxious of the sharks in my opinion) asked why would you only mark it up $1 in a condescending tone. The guy simply replied with a lost look on his face "they are just farmers trying to make a living". We need more people with that thought process in this country.

Yes I saw that one!

I do apologize to the OP for hijacking this thread. It wasn’t my intention at all.

On the show (Mr. nice guy) who also reefers too himself as “Mr. wonderful” is one of the greediest of them all. He always wants 51% or more of a company that will be worth millions for a small short term loan and if you don’t like it he says “your dead to me” .

I like the one where the guy invented and patented the individual wine glass with the wine already in it. He snubbed his nose at all the greedy attempts of overtaking his invention and walked out. Then a year later he came back having proven the concept worked and he was making tons of money with wine glasses loaded with top shelf wine and they tried to rip him off again and again he walked out because the greedy sharks wanted too big of a percentage in his company.

He came to them so yes they are going to get the better deal. That's the way it works and if you don't believe it then where do you go for a mortgage? I also own a small business and because we do things legal it barely carries itself. Everytime we think we are getting ahead the government changes the rules and we take another step backwards.

wow, do you really hate capitalism that much...comrade? You seem to have very little understanding of it or economics in general.

ST is one of my favorite shows and having had a small business that got started with venture capital and hard work I can relate to each and everyone that goes on that show.
Without the 'greedy' big money guys like the sharks very few of these entrepreneurs would ever get started. If you watch the later clips of many successes you see extremely happy people who were given a chance to live their dream.

Kevin couldn't have said it better:

wow, do you really hate capitalism that much...comrade? You seem to have very little understanding of it or economics in general.

ST is one of my favorite shows and having had a small business that got started with venture capital and hard work I can relate to each and everyone that goes on that show.
Without the 'greedy' big money guys like the sharks very few of these entrepreneurs would ever get started. If you watch the later clips of many successes you see extremely happy people who were given a chance to live their dream.

Kevin couldn't have said it better:

Sure there going to show the ones that work out, but they never show the ones that fail.

Not all hard workers are educated.. If he does enough work to buy said equipment I would call him if i had a load of logs worth his time.

Let me clarify. If your going to go through the trouble to advertise your business, even if it is just Craigslist, I think you should take the time to write it out clearly.

Your right, not everyone is educated. I never made it any farther then high school. That ad was a wreck though. So either he really doesn't know, or he really doesn't care. Either way, if I'm looking to hire someone, I'm already moving on to the next ad and not taking a chance.

Let me clarify. If your going to go through the trouble to advertise your business, even if it is just Craigslist, I think you should take the time to write it out clearly.

Your right, not everyone is educated. I never made it any farther then high school. That ad was a wreck though. So either he really doesn't know, or he really doesn't care. Either way, if I'm looking to hire someone, I'm already moving on to the next ad and not taking a chance.

Maybe that is the best he can do.. I'm not trying to start a fight here.. But i have seen far to many hard working guys passed by cause they can't speak proper english or make a proper resume.. High school huh.. You have more on some then you think i bet. Most of my education comes from wrench in hand. Am i ashamed of it hells no.. Do i want better for my son. Hells yes. Have a good night/morning Joesell..

!! very true "GARMIN'S DAD" people are way to fast to judge others because of an ability or a disability from education or lack of! we as a (human)people with feelings and some with not are only that "HUMAN WITH THE ABILITY TO NOT FUNCTION LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE".....

Just to clear up the myth that America has one of the lowest corporate taxes rates. Look at the list provided in the link and tell me exactly which countries have higher corporate tax rates than the US. Which is what some folks should be doing instead of listening to the Liberal spin on the truth. http://www.kpmg.com/global/en/servi...esources/pages/corporate-tax-rates-table.aspx
The US corporate tax rate is currently at 40%, the next highest is Japan at 38% China is at 25%. Now tell me, if you could increase your profits by 15%, would you move your business across the street. Its a fact, if the guy across the street can reduce his cost by 15%, he can reduce his prices by 15% and still make the same profit, and put your business out of business. And thats what is happening to the US manufacturing sector and that is why we are losing the good paying jobs in this country. Is it corporate greed, or is it because the consumer is demanding cheaper prices.

Maybe that is the best he can do.. I'm not trying to start a fight here.. But i have seen far to many hard working guys passed by cause they can't speak proper english or make a proper resume.. High school huh.. You have more on some then you think i bet. Most of my education comes from wrench in hand. Am i ashamed of it hells no.. Do i want better for my son. Hells yes. Have a good night/morning Joesell..

I have a racing friend on fb that is the worst speller and his grammar is: well non existent. But he is the nicest hard working knowledgeable, can fix anything guy you would ever want to meet. I’m not very good at it ether, but I enjoy his post and get a kick out of reading them. Everyone has there faults.

Many people are very smart, but you can’t prove it on paper. Book smart and common since are two different things. There are millionaires that never finished high school, yet they have ether found something there talented at and have done well. Still others find people that are more talented at something and have them work for them. Many CEO’s don’t really don't do anything. They have surrounded themselves with talented people that do there work for them and they clam all the credit and reap all the rewards.

But the fact is everyone is talented at something. And the type of education seems to be things people are generally exposed to the most.

I have a racing friend on fb that is the worst speller and his grammar is: well non existent. But he is the nicest hard working knowledgeable, can fix anything guy you would ever want to meet. I’m not very good at it ether, but I enjoy his post and get a kick out of reading them. Everyone has there faults.

Many people are very smart, but you can’t prove it on paper. Book smart and common since (SENSE) are two different things. There are millionaires that never finished high school, yet they have ether found something there (they are or their) talented at and have done well. Still others find people that are more talented at something and have them work for them. Many CEO’s don’t really don't do anything. They have surrounded themselves with talented people that do there(their) work for them and they clam Claim) all the credit and reap all the rewards.

But the fact is everyone is talented at something. And the type of education seems to be things people are generally exposed to the most.

Sorry, couldnt resist since grammar and spelling seem to be the direction this thread is now going. And dont go nickpicking my post because there isnt enough band width to correct all of my mistakes. In fact, I look at it as if people can get the jest of what I am trying to say, well thats close enough.

Back