trying to decide on a new midrange saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmrboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My 25 yr old Pro Mac 700 finally died. I used it for pretty much everything. I also have a walmart Mccolluch that I bought used a 8 yrs ago that actually runs good, but is too small for what I need. I am looking for a 50-60 cc saw for my main cutter and have it narrowed down to the Stihl 290, Husky 545, or the Jonsered 2255. Wifey and I was at Tractor Supply yesterday, and the 2255 is on sale for $369 till the end of April. This was the first time I had ever looked at a Jonsered, and I kinda liked it. But I am leaning towards the 545, and the 290 in 2nd place. For the money though, I'm really being pulled towards that Jonsered. The only thing I didn't like was the straight handle. I really liked the angled handle on the the husky. I have several Stihl and Husky dealers within 30 miles, so service isn't a problem for those brands. I have several TSC stores within range, but the nearest Jonsered dealer is 90 miles away.

I will be looking for a felling saw in the fall so am looking in this particular size range. Any opinions are welcome

Husqvarna = Jonsered. So no difference there.

For the money I would get a Echo 590 and do a muffler mod and enjoy a 60cc saw for the price of a homeowner 50cc. Andyshine77 has a lot experience with the 590 and holds it in high praise, that is enough recomendation for me.

The 290 is ok for a saw, but the 390 is the same with larger displacement!

Any chance you could fit the husky 555 or jonsered 2258 into your budget?

Of the three you've listed, my personal choice would Definitely be the 545. "Pro" construction all the way, just a detuned version of the 550xp. Magnesium crankcase, light and nimble, AutoTune, 3.4 claimed HP @ an honest ~11# weight, lots of features to like.

Husqvarna = Jonsered. So no difference there.....

There is some difference in the two models he has listed, though.

Like 7sleeper is saying, sometimes there is nothing wrong with looking at the "other" brands if budget is one of the main considerations.

Thinking about echo, too. But it got pushed off into the corner. One dealer sells Stihl & Echo, and two in my area sell Husky & Echo. Two friends of mine have Echos and swear by them.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

290 is no longer made. You might be able to find a new one that is still out there. If you decide to go with Stihl, the 271 is a better saw than the 290. Its lighter, cuts faster, and has more anti-vibe. $399 MSRP.

Thinking about echo, too. But it got pushed off into the corner. One dealer sells Stihl & Echo, and two in my area sell Husky & Echo. Two friends of mine have Echos and swear by them.
Time to get it out of the corner again! My Stihl dealer also has Echo in the program and swears by them, but as he always says "a man has got to eat" so Stihl is his cash cow.

I mean a 590/60cc pro consruction saw can be bought for 399! There is nothing in my book that can top it. Add a Dolmar 421 and you probably have one of the best combos out there pricewise!

But for a farm I wouldn't doubt the quality of Jonsered. All saws mentioned sofar will make you happy, some more some less but with all the work required will get done.

All of the saws you listed will no doubt get the job done. But 7 is right about the Echo cs-590. Nothing in it's price range comes close to it. I ran my 590 extensively yesterday, and that saw can do anything, from limb work to stump work.

Sorry, joe25DA, sold on ebay. Scored piston. Bought it new in '88. My saw shop said it was repairable, but I decided it was time for an upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

If used is a possibility, keep an eye on the Tradin Post. If you can find a well preserved Stihl 036 Pro, it'll kick the 290's tail.

Back