Burning pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennn*e

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
In a Stihl Shop or my shed...so Stihl shop's :)
Just a question on burning pine. As hard eucalyptus is the most common burnt wood over here every one thinks pine is rubbish and no on wants it so it's easy to get for free. Any precautions with burning it? Some have said issues with resin building up in the flu

That is mostly what I burn, easy to get, easy to split and leaves very little ash.
Keep it dry, and it will burn great for you.
Not sure if all pine is the same, but I burn Ponderosa Pine.

We, and all our neighbors, burned nothing but pine/spruce/fir back in N. Idaho when I was a kid. A lot of it was not anywhere near what would be called "seasoned" Only one house that I know of burned and it was in the middle of the summer.

Would I burn pine today? You bet if that was the stuff available for free. Burn it unseasoned? No.

Harry K

Pine you say I have 75 cord setting in a field waiting to come to its new home and it all is free. Well not quite free I pay taxes on the land and we used our excavators, dump trucks in the process so maybe only $2000 a cord :)
Burn pine all year long

I bucked and split a bunch of white pine....probably about 3 cords worth last summer. And its goin in the stove this winter. It should dry plenty well over 16 months.

I will burn all the pine I can get my hands on, or anything else for that matter! lol

Here's a mountain of white pine I burned a couple winters ago, as I was logging/milling a lot of white pine the summer before,

standard.jpg

It heated my house just fine, it just took more of it!

SR

how come everyone tells me you cant burn pine?

Good question. There are a lot of people here where I am that burn pine.

It is a matter of logistics. If all that is available where you live is pine then season it and burn it just like any other wood.
Like Sawyer Rob said it just take more of it.

If you have a lot of hardwood available to you then pine is just considered junk wood for those people.

Probably they don't understand that the MC (moisture content) of the wood is critical. It's not a matter of time, nor the seasoning you sprinkle on it. It's how it's cut/split/stacked so mainly the soft summer breezes can carry off the moisture in the wood. Water's a lousy fuel and definitely will not burn.

Stacking off the ground, top covered (not sides) are important.

one precaution is heavily pitched pine. sometimes called heartpine or fatlighter plus a score of other names.great for starting a fire but I would not suggest it for continuous burning.

Probably due to burning it green & old wives tales. If you repeat misinformation often enough people start believing it.

Some species of pine contain higher resin content than others. If not properly cured it can glaze up your flue. That's pretty much the case with any firewood.

I've heard the same warnings about sweetgum. Bah... we've been burning gum for years and all I've brushed out of the flue is brown dust. The gum has been stacked and top covered for a couple years, though. :)

one precaution is heavily pitched pine. sometimes called heartpine or fatlighter plus a score of other names.great for starting a fire but I would not suggest it for continuous burning.

I usually keep this stuff separate. It does make wonderful fire starter material. You can literally touch a match to a 4-6" diameter piece and walk away. No other kindling needed. I burned about a cord and a half of it this year, mostly at the end of the season. It was a variety of species that came down during Hurricane Sandy.

Back