Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I was at my dealer's 2 days ago and he still has a 562 with the Tech Lite bar (20") on the wall, but is also still selling the non-C version of the 362! So if you still want that tech lite bar, I can ask him. However, since your saw is cutting so well and since you know they are going to improve it, I think I would wait.

This should be the link you asked for. Also, check out KG's excellent Muffler Mod!

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/my-new-toy-ms362cm-18b-c.255574/page-7#post-4783812

I heated my house with wood for 25 years, but my Tax Season gets so busy it was just tough to keep up with it.

But talk about Scrounging, when I first started heating with wood, (my job required a jacket & tie) I would stop my 1980 Pinto Station Wagon next to a road construction site, throw a pair of coveralls over my clothes, and pull out my saw and cut some wood. Back then Pick Up Trucks were not allowed on NY parkways.

I remember cutting rounds so big I could not lift them, so I rolled them into the car (off the bumper). I could only take 2 or 3 pieces, and I though the front of the car was going to come off of the ground.

Thanks for link - this site search seems fussy. It demands exact spelling so if you're sharing that thread, good idea to provide full link along with heading. I've joined the conversation over there. Nice to see others also now getting your saw - looks like you've got a great runner!

Love the story about your early scavenging days in your Pinto - lol - dedication IN ACTION! Tax season sounds like nightmare. Keeping fire going on top of working ass off is not in cards. Semi-retired here, that how I make it work.

Appreciate the offer of Techite bar but I'm going to wait it out and get latest and greatest when it comes available. Saw handles great with stock bar anyway, so I'm ok for now.

Late start today, but I'm heading up mountain today to grab a couple of birch trees that were on edge of road IF they're still there. TTYL

Mountain, I semi retired myself, so now I don't do tax season in addition to full time work. But then the Tax business builds, so for 2.5 months I go 7 days a week, but then for the rest of the year the work is sporadic and I get to enjoy my hobbies. It's not bad except the 2 weeks in April, when you would rather be outside, kill you!

another nice little load today ... too far up the mountain to drag the trailer today so carried just about 2/3 cord. Loader operator placed them beside the back road for me - real nice guy! Birch and Alder and I initially thought it was a maple, but turned out to be cottonwood, so just took the Birch and Alder.
easy-score.jpg
easy-score2.jpg

Nice, I love it when a good saw gets a good workout, keeps us young!!!
By the way, it's Friday, where are all the drunks tonight?

Ya I find a good workout in the woods is the best way to clear the mind
Re Friday ... lol - keep your head down - you never know what may fly over :p

Yea, it's my big mouth, I'm like a lightning rod!

Hey, another member just got a 362 C, it's catching, soon the odds will be closer to even. But you know my view, they are both excellent saws, can't miss with either of them 60 ccs!

Going to take a break to catch a little TV with the wife, will check back later.

By the way, you did see my upstate project (not in the chainsaw section) at "Milling ... Chainsaw Timber Framing", right? Hope to get back up there soon.

If you need a link, let me know. Later.

Yea, it's my big mouth, I'm like a lightning rod!

Hey, another member just got a 362 C, it's catching, soon the odds will be closer to even. But you know my view, they are both excellent saws, can't miss with either of them 60 ccs!
Going to take a break to catch a little TV with the wife, will check back later.
By the way, you did see my upstate project (not in the chainsaw section) at "Milling ... Chainsaw Timber Framing", right? Hope to get back up there soon.
If you need a link, let me know. Later.

Yes need link please. Same with wifey here - dinner and movie. Cheers

Unloading my last scrounge so I can go get another.
(This thread was due for another picture)

data2u6y.jpg

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Beech??

It was a really nice sunny day today...so I was back on my firewood scrounging adventure. First thing I did was get the winch ready to pull some tree's,

standard.jpg

Then me and my helper, got started limbing the tornado damaged trees, and skidding them out,

standard.jpg

Soon we were getting quite a few of them out,

standard.jpg

So my helper cut some brush out of the way, so I could back the tractor up and get it into place to pick the sticks up and lift them over the wagon. With them up in the air, it's pretty easy to cut them into firewood lengths.

standard.jpg

AND, finally we had a full wagon load, so I backed up the tractor and hooked up the wagon to the hitch on the skid winch! Boy, that hitch sure is handy, and with it easily adjustable, it will hook to any wagon or trailor.

standard.jpg

So, I pulled the load closer to the house and put it in place, ready for the splitter! Maybe i'll get started on that job, tomorrow??

SR

get the winch ready to pull some tree's,

So my helper cut some brush out of the way, so I could back the tractor up and get it into place to pick the sticks up and lift them over the wagon. With them up in the air, it's pretty easy to cut them into firewood lengths.

standard.jpg

AND, finally we had a full wagon load, so I backed up the tractor and hooked up the wagon to the hitch on the skid winch! Boy, that hitch sure is handy, and with it easily adjustable, it will hook to any wagon or trailor.

standard.jpg

So, I pulled the load closer to the house and put it in place, ready for the splitter! Maybe i'll get started on that job, tomorrow??

SR
Now that is great automation! Cutting over the trailer - a wood scroungers dream come true ! very nice.

Mountain, here is the link I promised you.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chainsaw-timber-framing.249869/
It has been a lot of work, and we have to get back at it soon, now that the snow should be about gone (maybe not up there yet).

Great project and how-to details Mike ... I've done my share of building over the years, so I can attest to it being lots of work, especially the way you're doing it - milling timbers from scratch! More pictures when you get back at it please .... nicely done!

It was a really nice sunny day today...so I was back on my firewood scrounging adventure. First thing I did was get the winch ready to pull some tree's,

standard.jpg

The more I see your set up, the better I like it . You are improving the looks of that site every time you step foot into the woods, and getting a ton of firewood to boot!

More pictures!! Can always use more pictures.
My friend did a favor for an "elderly" lady who works in a local school district.
Two large trees - oak and ash - came down during Sandy. Tree service came and bucked them up for her and said they would be back. They never showed up and never returned her calls. (No money changed hands, thank God). She would have paid someone to finally take them from her yard. My friend told her he would clean it up, and he refused to take any money for it. He'll be taking down two large maple trees that are leaning over her house.
We filled my pickup truck 3 times, and took five dump truck loads on Monday, and there's still some left.

IMG_4805.JPG

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4803.jpg
IMG_4807.jpg

IMG_4796.jpg

IMG_4801.jpg IMG_4808.jpg

More pictures!! Can always use more pictures.
My friend did a favor for an "elderly" lady who works in a local school district.
Two large trees - oak and ash - came down during Sandy. Tree service came and bucked them up for her and said they would be back. They never showed up and never returned her calls. (No money changed hands, thank God). She would have paid someone to finally take them from her yard. My friend told her he would clean it up, and he refused to take any money for it. He'll be taking down two large maple trees that are leaning over her house.
We filled my pickup truck 3 times, and took five dump truck loads on Monday, and there's still some left.

View attachment 345311

View attachment 345312

View attachment 345314
View attachment 345315

View attachment 345316

View attachment 345317 View attachment 345318
Some good wood right there. Tons around here from sandy. Even some from Irene

That's quite a haul Mikey517! 'Scrounging' definitely has different categories! Some of you guys are able to take advantage of big wood opportunities. I am much more of a 'small wood' scrounger: would have to buy trucks, trailers, and tractors to compete!

All good - glad to see someone getting good use of the wood.

Philbert

Back