Stihl 261 C-M Intermittent Hot Start Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bl8tant

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So 3 weeks ago I sold most of my saws and bought a new 261 C-M. The day I bought it, I headed straight to the woods and put it to work. By the end of the day I was so frustrated and disappointed. Here's the deal:
1) First start of the day (cold) it fires up with one or two pulls. Runs great.
2) Shut it off hot and wait more than a minute or two to re-start and it WILL NOT START. Takes 15-20 pulls and usually have to hold throttle wide open and drop start it.
3) If you re-start immediately (when hot) it's 50/50. It either starts on one pull or it refuses to start.
4) Once re-started it won't take throttle and stalls. Takes several cycles and eventually it takes off and runs fine.

I took it back to dealer and they kept it for a week. When I picked it up they said everything tested fine (he even bought the $500 Stihl carb tester that interfaces with a computer). They basically cleaned the carb and replaced the spark plug and gave it back. I took her to the woods and guess what - SAME ISSUE. When cold it starts fine. Once hot, you never know if it's going to take one pull or 50. And don't even think about using the compression release when hot.....guaranteed not to start. Once you get it going it runs great.

Obviously I'm taking it back to the dealer again. Just wondering what my options are ? Does Stihl ever "lemon-law" a saw ? Even if they claim they fixed it, my confidence in this saw is shot. I think they should give me a different saw off the shelf, but I bet that's not going to happen. I've bought over $2500 worth of saws, weedeaters, and blowers from this dealer. If they don't make this right.....well I am not gonna be happy.

What can I do ? How many times do I have to keep taking it back before someone says "dud saw". What would you do ? I'm obviously a Stihl fan and have no desire to change brands (none around here anyways).

For that kind of hassle my Dealer has loaner saws at no charge to keep you making wood. I have "C" saws and they run great. Give the Dealer another shot, tell him to ride along where you are cutting and let him experience it for himself if possible.

I have not encountered it, but have seen a few posters that have. When the saw is hot, you can easily start it in the "Run" position. I could be wrong, but I think they may be using the "Start" position when the saw is still hot.

But who knows, there could be a problem, just like there was with another make (seems to be worked out now, but no official announcement).

Hot start issue with a Stihl C-M? Say it ain't so...

Sure didn't take long for the huky lovers to get a suggestion posted. It's pretty tough to diagnose your saw over the Internet, but it needs to be treated like any other small engine, before "buying the $500 cable and plugging her in". Spark, compression, and fuel are still necessary for even an M-Tronic to run.

Nothing is flawless... But some here feel their Stihl saws are. :D
Funny u bash Stihl!! lol! My best friend has a ported 660 and decided he would go buy a 372xpw but when he got there and picked it up his exact words were, " that crap felt like a rattling gumball machine with plastic wrapped around it! " He said he settled his urge for that idea and wont have another! Lol! I cant speak for the newer Huskies as I have only ran older ones but wouldnt mind running one but of course it would be Autotune

To the OP, make sure its been recalibrated. Also Stihl has a return policy but if ur dealer isnt goinh to fix it or replace it just call Stihl tech support urself and tell them ur not satisified and Im sure they will fix u up

Funny u bash Stihl!! lol! My best friend has a ported 660 and decided he would go buy a 372xpw but when he got there and picked it up his exact words were, " that crap felt like a rattling gumball machine with plastic wrapped around it! " He said he settled his urge for that idea and wont have another! Lol! I cant speak for the newer Huskies as I have only ran older ones but wouldnt mind running one but of course it would be Autotune
I'm not bashing Stihl at all? Just poking at some of the Stihl heads that think their saws are flawless...
But if you want to Bash Huskys, I don't care much... :givebeer:

To the OP, make sure its been recalibrated
I'm not bashing Stihl at all? Just poking at some of the Stihl heads that think their saw are flawless..r
But if you want to Bash Huskys, I don't care much... :givebeer:
Not bashing Husk at all either !!! No beer for me though Its Easter!!!! Us Southern Baptist dont believe in drinking!! Oh heck!! Theres a another thread all together!! Lol! Down here we believe in God and Stihls!! Lol

I think the reason the more militant huskiphiles showed up is that they have heard over and over "ever hear of an m-tronic issue?"
Stihl/Husky is the same as the Mercedes/BMW. Mercedes are generally more expensive, better built, and heavier, but they're both nice cars. Pick u'r poison, or don't, and like/own both brands. Either way, you'll just be thrilled they're not ****in Echo's. (Sorry mountainlake, that was just a joke)

OP here......Definitely hoped this would not turn into a brand bash, but I still wanted some input, so I posted anyways. Sorry fellow Stihl lovers :)

Anyways....To reply to a few suggestions/comments above:
The dealer is a very knowledgeable mechanic and has the highest Stihl certification. I trust his troubleshooting. I do a lot of saw work for folks myself, so I feel his pain trying to fix an intermittent issue.
They definitely checked comp, vent function, and vac/press on the crankcase before ordering the special tool to test the M-tronic carb (which also checked out ok by the tester). They also explained the recalibration to me. I wish I had asked them to write down the procedure, but maybe you have to "clear" the processor before you can do the calibration ????
I'm not convinced that the issue is truly M-tronic related. Seems more like a basic "mechanical" carb issue (acts a lot like vapor lock). It only had one "spell" today, but that was enough for me. :(

Definitely going to take it back again. They're going to wear out the screws taking it apart and putting it together so many times. :)

Latest posts

Back