new to me tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBrown

more saws than I need
Reaction score
Went and got my new tractor today. Deere 850 4x4 with loader. Will make an extension for bucket for firewood and get pallet forks for rear to move palletized firewood. Will be handy to get to firewood piles in the snow next winter. This is my birthday present for next two years.

Attachments

• IMG_20140427_174235_463.jpg
    IMG_20140427_174235_463.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 260
Went and got my new tractor today. Deere 850 4x4 with loader. Will make an extension for bucket for firewood and get pallet forks for rear to move palletized firewood. Will be handy to get to firewood piles in the snow next winter. This is my birthday present for next two years.
ive got a lot of hours on a 950, theyre great little tractors,
just be sure to take care of the front reduction hubs, they can lock up if not serviced... really not fun when it happens driving down the road pulling a loaded hay wagon to the barn:eek:

Now just need a back blade, finish mower, rear pallet fork, a rear boom, and a snowblower.

I have to question the rear boom and finish mower. With the front loader why a rear boom??

I used 72" finish mowers up until the mid 90's but now with zero turns I can't see why one would want one unless your mowing huge areas with a 12-14' mower and a 50+ hp tractor. I am sure that my 48" zero turn could out mow a 22hp tractor with a finish mower by a large margin

I bet you will love your new tractor, that is until you start wanting a bigger one. lol

SR

Nice rig ,On the hunt for one my self, 870 about an hour away, tad smaller than what I would really like but maybe more affordable than new? I/2 the price of a new LS in the 35+ hp range. Sold the SS late last fall been flip flopping back and forth between new/used ever since. Dang pricing is worse than used trucks. Always the issue of why its up for sale used - new, warranty to take care of surprises. either way a chunk of change

I have to question the rear boom and finish mower. With the front loader why a rear boom??

I used 72" finish mowers up until the mid 90's but now with zero turns I can't see why one would want one unless your mowing huge areas with a 12-14' mower and a 50+ hp tractor. I am sure that my 48" zero turn could out mow a 22hp tractor with a finish mower by a large margin

I have both and a have a Vent-Trac...when the ground gets really wet and soupy the zero turn becomes USELESS!

Vent Trac really excels in all sorts of mowing conditions over the others.

Nice tractor, I cant wait to get one myself although the 850 is probably on the smaller side of my list though, 35 hp is what I want. A 955 or a 970 would be about perfect for me I think... Start looking for some chains or ag tires you'll want them eventually and they run a small fortune by themselves. Im not a die hard JD fan so I've been eying some Fords, Mahindra, and Case tractors. Seems the green ones are a little more expensive than the rest for some reason...

very nice tractor i have a 950 2wd myself 2300 hours last i remember also a large case but that little 950 is my go to for most work. pulls great and has never gotten it stuck, knock on wood. that platform is bullet proof and very easy to maintain. hope you get many years of use out of your new tractor.

I have both and a have a Vent-Trac...when the ground gets really wet and soupy the zero turn becomes USELESS!

When my ground gets wet and soupy, my zero turn stays in the garage, as who mows in those conditions??

When the conditions are like they SHOULD be for mowing, I'd put it up against a tractor or Vent Track any day... My current zero turn out mows anything I've ever been on, tractor or otherwise...

SR

When my ground gets wet and soupy, my zero turn stays in the garage, as who mows in those conditions??

When the conditions are like they SHOULD be for mowing, I'd put it up against a tractor or Vent Track any day... My current zero turn out mows anything I've ever been on, tractor or otherwise...

SR
When it rains for 3 weeks straight and the owners are having a party for 100 guests, you mow...you dont have a choice.

Vent Trac really excels in all sorts of mowing conditions over the others.
also anything over around 20% grade and theyre useless... they can go up a steeper grade but they just slide on the way back down, and if theres any sort of moisture/dew you can forget it.
walk behinds are a little better for the hills, but nowhere near as good as a ventrac, or a tractor with a mower...

as for mowing in wet conditions... some areas are always wet, but they still need to be mowed, or if it just rained during the night and you need to mow in the morning, its going to be wet...
some people do it for a living, they dont have a choice to keep theyre mower in the garage because the ground may be wet!

SR
never seen or used a gang mower then?
they have their place, not as useful as a zero turn but they could out mow any zero turn easily. weather it be reel,rotary,or flail...

SR

I use or have used several large diesel kubota finish mowers here. The zero turn is fun and fast, but the four wheel drive front deck mowers will do some gnarly slopes. I really don't have a favorite. They sure can sling some green though.

I'd like to try a batwing fairway mower some day.

Slickest one I have seen is one the powerline guys were using, a woods mulcher mower, that thing had some nads! I don't know the make and model though, just big, real big.

Of course the driver was somewhat blind, mowed right through the steel fence posts and fencing.

We have a boom mower here, that one is sorta neat for what you can do with it. I have pushed over and mowed flat to the ground some pretty decent trees before.

Back