Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dysmal

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm not great at identifying wood by the bark alone....here's a log on my "splitting log" IMG_20140428_181634.jpg

And also some split pieces

IMG_20140428_181621.jpg

And bonus question, what about the smaller log on top? What kind?

IMG_20140428_181610.jpg

For once there's an ID this species thread that I can actually participate in! Normally it's always some primo hardwood that grows far south or east of me.

I'd say silver over red looking at the bark and hue of the wood. That's some great campfire/cooking wood, burns long and silent, smells great.

Vote for silver maple . I've come across some monsters around my parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome, thanks guys

What about the smaller log on top, the one that's pale with smooth bark?

That could be from the same tree most likely further up the tree, or a young soft Maple before the bark turns ruff.

Without the pile in the back I was almost going to say buckeye but I will stick with beech.

Thanks guys, I was hoping it was beech as well. I didn't see many on the family farm, and I was giddy when I found it.

Thanks gents, you guys are the best, this site is the best :)

Blue beech and red maple I think.
One wonderful cold night firewood and one great cool weather firewood.
Not so sure the log on a log is beech but the logs on the ground at the back are.

Pretty sure you have a chunk of black cherry in the mix also, the log under the log that I cant tell if it's beech LOL

It's all good.

Thanks everyone. In the end, all wood that I'm happy with, white birch included (not in the pics I think, at least I was able to identify that)

Didn't notice the stuff on the upper left side of the pile earlier, definitely not maple so I'll trust the other guys ID of beech.

If it was here,red or soft maple all the way. The rough is the trunk and the smooth is the upper branches similar to beech.
Your splitting block is red oak.
Their is a piece that kinda looks like cherry but all the other split pieces are white wood not orange, so I'm leaning to weird piece of red maple also, maybe even sugar maple.

If it was here,red or soft maple all the way. The rough is the trunk and the smooth is the upper branches similar to beech.
Your splitting block is red oak.
Their is a piece that kinda looks like cherry but all the other split pieces are white wood not orange, so I'm leaning to weird piece of red maple also, maybe even sugar maple.

It's difficult to tell, but the splitting block is actually from a huge poplar the logging crews left behind...I got all my shoulder season wood from it last year, and kept that piece as a splitting block. It will eventually end up as kindling, since my Fiskars is tearing chunks off of it as I split

Aside from the splitting block I see Maple and possibly white birch? in the pile.

Latest posts

Back