Fuel mixture

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossotter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is it possible to run my Stihl 028 & Husky 50 off the same gas mixture ? Or am I just setting myself up for mech problems ?

I run everything at 40:1 with Stihl ultra oil and high test fuel.
Saws , blowers trimmers ect. with no issurs at all , my string trimmer is an oldie but goodie and gas cap on it calls for 32:1 and that is also fine. I think it was probably built before the oil technology improved , many improvements over the years. As far as oil type and ratios you will probably get a bunch of different answers.

Yeah, I figured I'd get some different replies, but I haven't heard anyone weigh in on it a few years. And that was only by my small circle of ''experts'' .

I run every saw I own, off 40:1 to 50:1, using high test gas and Husky oil from the blk. gallon bottles... That's the way I've been doing it for years and years with NO problems...

SR

Every 2 stroke I have ever owned (weed eaters, mowers, chain saws, concrete saws, pumps, 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, etc etc.) has run great on 32:1 Yamalube 2...I have one can of 2 stroke gas mixed up, they all drink from the same can.
It's not so much the individual engines requirements, the factory(s) just says to mix at XYZ based on their oil.
Most 2 strokes made since early eightys, heck, even 70s, (but I'm sure someone will come up with an exception :rolleyes:) will run good at 32:1 with most any decent oil, even leaner (40:1, 50:1) if using the better oils (read, synthetics)

I'll echo the others. Most stuff is made to run 50:1 these days but I run all OPE at 32:1.

There was an extensive thread over on the saw forum last fall. If you plan to mod your saws you better be running 40:1 or richer to avoid problems.

Some guys who drink the cool aid run Amsoil at 100:1 which will normally work but why risk it....

One exception to this rule is very old equipment that wasnt made to the tolerances of newer equipment and needs extra lubrication. Run it at whatever ratio it was made for. My grandpa had some stuff that used 16:1. Keeps the bugs away anyhow ;)

I (we) run a 50:1 (non-synthetic) in everything 2-cycle... even the 1974 Harley Davidson Golf Cart, and a 50's vintage outboard motor up north.
Been doing it that way for at least 20-25 years, spring, summer, winter and fall... no problems.
When the gas stations up by the lake home started selling pre-mix 50:1 out'a the pumps, the "locals" put it in everything from the Lawn-Boy, to the snowmobiles, to the outboards. Per their recommendation Dad started doing the same thing up there... after a couple years without problems I started running 50:1 in everything here at home. Funny thing, since we went to 50:1 we never foul a plug in anything... ever. After running dino-oil for over 20 years I can see no reason for switching to synthetic.

Some old 2-strokes had plain-bearings (no balls/needles) in the rod big-end. Some back when even had one such for mains. Allegedly they still need to be bathed in incoming oil. This is the only case where the ratio is for the engine. Else it's for the oil, except Amsoil. 50:1 max.
Fast-forward to current generation. And frictionless bearings.
Some saws of the mid-seventies had 16:1 spec'd. I had a few, mainly Poulans. When 50:1 synthetic showed up, I switched totally to that. No more "storm-clouds" on startup. No, that is no subsequent engine mechanical problems, not even with, for instance, a Poulan 3400 with an UNPLATED, bare aluminum bore, that I worked mercilessly.
IMO the whole 32:1 or 40:1 thing is a mix of paranoia or "I know better than the engineers." Not interested.
Then some folks insist on stihl "ultra" or such, thinking its "uber alles". It's not. Read the specs; accept only JASO FC/FD and ISO-L-EGD. Dolmar mix oil now meets JASO FD; just got some. Woodland Pro meets JASO FC. Good oil is way cheaper than engines, or your lungs.

In case you missed it, in this case I'm totally on-board with spidey's ratio, just totally synthetic here.

In case you missed it, in this case I'm totally on-board with spidey's ratio, just totally synthetic here.

Heck, I'm not against using synthetic... it's just that I'm not against using non-synthetic either. (shrug)
I can still buy the non-synthetic Sthil oil for less money than the synthetic... and it works... so...
By-the-way, I started using Amsoil Interceptor (synthetic) in the golf cart, snow thrower and such because I can buy that stuff for less at the fleet store than the dino Stihl I use in the Stihl equipment. I'm just not yet ready to switch what's worked in the Stihl equipment for so many years... call me stubborn. I mix the Amsoil with 87 octane ethanol-free for the toys and such, mix the Stihl oil with 91 octane for the Stihl equipment.
Either way, I'll never go back to 16:1, 32:1, or 40:1 with it's smoke, stink, clogged exhaust, hard starts and fouled plugs.
As far as I'm concerned, in the two-stroke world, modern 50:1 oil (synthetic, non-synthetic or blended) is the best thing to happen since sliced bread and canned beer.

Speaking of, you're done with your wagon ride, no? I figured you wouldn't be able to type legibly by now...:D

:D The blood was drawn this morning... the drowning begins after work tonight :D
Won't have the test results back until tomorrow... but that don't make sour owl crap difference on what happens tonight‼

Every 2 stroke I have ever owned (weed eaters, mowers, chain saws, concrete saws, pumps, 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, etc etc.) has run great on 32:1 Yamalube 2...I have one can of 2 stroke gas mixed up, they all drink from the same can.
It's not so much the individual engines requirements, the factory(s) just says to mix at XYZ based on their oil.
Most 2 strokes made since early eightys, heck, even 70s, (but I'm sure someone will come up with an exception :rolleyes:) will run good at 32:1 with most any decent oil, even leaner (40:1, 50:1) if using the better oils (read, synthetics)
same here,,but certain enviroMENTALists on this forum,,will howl like a mad banshee..polluting the environment :dizzy::dizzy:

i just switched over to belray mc 1 50:1 and i like it far better no awful stink like stihl ultra and i just run what it calls for some of stuff calls for 40:1 and i run it on 50:1 never a problem just got to tune it to the mix. i got friends who runs saws and they can kill skeeters with the mix they run at 1 quart per 5 gallons of gas. that much oil in the gas is uncalled for.

1 quart per 5 gallons comes out to 20:1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like time travel back to the 70's. I remember my first Poulan was 16:1 , that was regular non detergent 30 w oil. Oil has changed a lot since then , sounds a little heavy on the oil to me.

Yeah i'd say its a little thick. There wouldn't be any skeeters around for miles after you fired it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back