Best Earmuffs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the yellow cylinder foam plugs, they squeeze down and hold that shape long enough to be stuck in my ears then swell up to block noise better than the softer tapered plugs. I can't stand ear muffs!

Huh ????

Splitting, I too use the Peltor Work Tunes. Helps to pass the time. Honda GX engines are relatively quiet.

Cutting on a pile, downed trees, or tops etc. I stuff sterile cotton in my ears and wear the Peltor Work Tunes, (radio off), or a set of Blue Point hearing protectors as well.

Felling, cotton in the ears and Husqvarna helmet with ear protection.

Over the years of cutting wood and shooting, I've found cotton stuffed in the ears more comfortable as opposed to the various foam earplugs. It's also cheaper, (not a biggie), and having sterile cotton around is always handy for cleaning cuts, or applying topical treatments to bug bites and bee stings.

For loaners, or times when I just plain forget stuff, I keep a pair of the inexpensive Harbor Freight ear muffs on the tractor, skidsteer, and pickup. (Far better than having no protection at all)

Take Care

Work tunes for me. I wear them when cutting the lawn and useing the splitter with radio on , not turned up to max but just enough to get some background music. Also wear them while cutting but no radio. Probably not the best at cutting out noise but works for me.

I've had the work tunes for years. Use them all day long but never really got more than a season outta them. I wear them about 8 hours a day during the mowing season. Stanley makes some as well that I like even better. Having the radio really helps the time go by.

Am I the only one that does not wear any hearing protection except when shooting?
What... I did not hear you...
I know I should, but.... I love the way a well tuned Husky sounds.

I do not run my work saws modded in any way.
STOCK.. as I cut on National Forest.

I help a friend do some cutting on water company property on occasion and they too do not allow running without spark arrestor screen so a modified muffler surely does not fly , I do have a stock MS290 that I have not touched for such an occasion , have to play by the rules ; at least it is still cutting so I don't mind.

I help a friend do some cutting on water company property on occasion and they too do not allow running without spark arrestor screen so a modified muffler surely does not fly , I do have a stock MS290 that I have not touched for such an occasion , have to play by the rules ; at least it is still cutting so I don't mind.

You can open a muffler for better breathing and still leave the spark arrestor in. I have done many of them and there is nothing illegal about them. I play by the rules also.

You can open a muffler for better breathing and still leave the spark arrestor in. I have done many of them and there is nothing illegal about them. I play by the rules also.

I did a mod on my 359 that is like a double barrel shotgun out the front , I welded in two short pieces of tubing and threaded them on the inside ; this way I can install an allen type pipe plugs to close them up and then reinstall the stock screen and it would be good to go. Runs so good I would hate to plug it back up though , i'll stick with the 290 for the occasional use on private land like that.

That is almost identical to what I did except my pipes are round and double stacked like that and then threaded inside but very similar to that. Nice idea on the screen inside , I guess I could always add a screen behind the pipes like that if the need comes up. Thanks for sharing that , something to think about on the next one.

Back