Do stihls have more torque than husqvarna in general?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndigity26

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been seeing a trend on here and about stihls having more torque. I also feel like the few stihls I have used and owned seemed to be a little more torquie. Are stihl saws designed to have more torque? does anyone have insight into that? I currently only own Husqvarna saws so I can not do a side by side comparison.

Not sure about Stihl, but my 562XP has no problem with lack of torque or RPM.

A dyno would tell you.

I saw that poulan you posted on you tube, that thing looks like a saw that would have a lot of torque. I just get the feeling a lot of older bigger saws had more torque. I know your saying you could test the saw on a dyno, but what's your gut say on this. Would it be a no to the stihl as a brand putting out more torque?

Not sure about Stihl, but my 562XP has no problem with lack of torque or RPM.[/QUOTE

I have the 545 which as I'm sure you are aware has auto-tune. the claim with the auto-tune is it compensates when torque is needed. I would agree that my 545 seems to have a little more torque than my 346 or 353.

Not going to lie, at the GTG I recently attended I ran husky and stihl. I would like to think I am a husky branded man but I do feel like stihl may have a little more torque, but huskys cut faster IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE A SAW. I have found in my short experience that you can lean on Stihl more in the cut, but they still cut slower. If that makes any sense take it for what you will. :dizzy:

I have a 545 as well with about 7 tanks through it and it doesn't like to be pushed, it just wants to cut wood which it does great once I figured out how it cut best.

A generalization such as this is difficult to quantify but I personally believe that "on average" meaning not all saws but quite a few, it seems that Stihls seem more "torquey" and Husqvarnas seem to run "fast". I think that difference is why some people prefer Stihls and others prefer Huskys (of those that have actually used both brands)

A generalization such as this is difficult to quantify but I personally believe that "on average" meaning not all saws but quite a few, it seems that Stihls seem more "torquey" and Husqvarnas seem to run "fast". I think that difference is why some people prefer Stihls and others prefer Huskys (of those that have actually used both brands)
Well said :clap:

More torque equals more rpm in the wood bottom line . I'm not saying that one brand has consistently more torque than the other, that's rediculous.

Not going to lie, at the GTG I recently attended I ran husky and stihl. I would like to think I am a husky branded man but I do feel like stihl may have a little more torque, but huskys cut faster IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE A SAW. I have found in my short experience that you can lean on Stihl more in the cut, but they still cut slower. If that makes any sense take it for what you will. :dizzy:

That's what I'm talking about, I had had a couple of stihls and the last one I had was a 270 and even though a lot of people shite on that saw it was a good performer. however like you saw compared to my husqvarna 50 cc saws you could lean on it in the cut and it would power through. Now I'm not going to say leaning on a saw is how to cut with a chainsaw because I believe anyone who really knows that's not how to cut with a chainsaw. But I did notice the saw did not bog in the cut, but like you said it was slower however it was being compare to superior saws at the time. What your saying makes sense to me. I've had my 545 for over a year now and I can't tell you how many tanks have been through it but theres been a lot, it will perk up. Also I recommend the muffler mod it's a ***** on those because the mufflers are built like a tank but it really livens the saw up.

That's what I'm talking about, I had had a couple of stihls and the last one I had was a 270 and even though a lot of people shite on that saw it was a good performer. however like you saw compared to my husqvarna 50 cc saws you could lean on it in the cut and it would power through. Now I'm not going to say leaning on a saw is how to cut with a chainsaw because I believe anyone who really knows that's not how to cut with a chainsaw. But I did notice the saw did not bog in the cut, but like you said it was slower however it was being compare to superior saws at the time. What your saying makes sense to me. I've had my 545 for over a year now and I can't tell you how many tanks have been through it but theres been a lot, it will perk up. Also I recommend the muffler mod it's a ***** on those because the mufflers are built like a tank but it really livens the saw up.

Mine has gotten stronger for sure, I also run a stihl yellow chain on it now as well which helped. Im gonna send my muffler out soon to have it done. What did you do with your muffler, make the port bigger?

Mine has gotten stronger for sure, I also run a stihl yellow chain on it now as well which helped. Im gonna send my muffler out soon to have it done. What did you do with your muffler, make the port bigger?

Yeah I bored out the inside of the muffler and opened up the port. The steel is tough and it took a bit longer than I thought it would. The honey comb design inside the muffler is hard to work out with just simple tools. If you have good cutters you might have better luck than I.

Back