Felling spikes for a 550xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homelite42

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I am gonna buy a 550xp, but I dont like the felling spikes and I am going to use it mainly for felling trees, so I want some good spikes. Does anyone know where I can get some felling spikes that will fit this saw?

Don't forget to put up a at least a 25" b&c (preferably 28") so you can drop some serious sticks.

Im looking for the same thing. I put the dog from my 562 on the 550 and it comes close to fitting. you could drill the hole out to make it fit but im not sure if it would wiggle or not.

545 spike 001 (Medium).jpg 545 spike 003 (Medium).jpg

The stock 545/550 spike is pretty worthless. I looked around for a larger one that would keep the muffler from getting dented and keep the paint from getting barked up, and decided to make my own based on a 268 design. The prototype was cut from 0.90" aluminum sheet using a Dremel scroll saw, so now I just need to find someone that can cut a few with a water jet or some other easy method.

The inner spike from the 562XP will fit by slightly elongating the mounting holes.

2013-06-14_17-30-21_339_zps317bee46.jpg

The inner fits with a slight mod as Mark advised. The outer fits just as well. It sticks out about .250" further than the inner. I used a small square, scribed lines to match the inner, and took the outer spike points back to match. Worked well. I mounted them on a 545, should be the same for the 550xp.
image.jpgimage.jpg

I did the 562XP spike thing on my 550XP. Make sure you use the right dremel bit (for hard metals) to elongate the mount holes, and it will hold just fine. I still would never use the 550 for felling - it is a great limbing and bucking saw, but just not up to the task of felling.

As a noob and a firewood only cutter, I gotta add my 2 cents - I bought a 261C a few of months ago. I only have about 4 tanks through it. It came with a 20" bar with RM chain. I put double dogs ( for a 362 -thanks Stihlman:)) and I have used it to fell quite a few trees. Comparing the 261 and 550 side by side, if you're determined to use a 50cc saw to fell, the 261 is by far the better choice. I absolutely love the 261 -that saw just pulls like crazy and feels stronger than the 550. The standard bar on the Stihl is also much higher quality than that on the 550.

The inner fits with a slight mod as Mark advised. The outer fits just as well. It sticks out about .250" further than the inner. I used a small square, scribed lines to match the inner, and took the outer spike points back to match. Worked well. I mounted them on a 545, should be the same for the 550xp.
View attachment 348600View attachment 348601

you got the spikes on might as well take the spark arrest off.

Yep, they simply aren't needed! :D

I simply remove them from my 50 and 60cc saws - they are just in the way!

Troll everyones cutting conditions vary according to the species and climatic conditions they face, l have the 362 double dawg/roller catcher kit on my two ms261's and they are totally neccesary (for my conditions). Untill l can fit something useful onto my 550xp it will sit on the shelf and not be put to work. Even my top handles get dawgs. Without them in a 10hour day l would physically be stuffed. The Husky dawg on the 550 is so pathetic its seriously not funny!

Back