Used engine oil into B&C oil questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason6586

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone is making their own b&c oil from filtered used engine oil and adding a tackifier? There is a company that recycles used oil and make a few products out of it including b&c oil about 40 miles away from me. I contacted them and carefully asked a few questions but couldn't get much information out of them. I go through a fairly large amount of b&c oil in a yearly basis so I think it would really pay off for me. I also use a large amount of engine oil in trucks, tractors and equipment so having the base materials would be no problem and knowing the quality wouldn't be an issue. I am trying to figure out a filter system to filter and "clean" the oil before adding the tackifier. Does anyone have any ideas on a system or setup that would do that. I would like to use a small micron filter as my plans for the system so far have me heating the oil so it filters nice. Any ideas, comments or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

After doing a whole lot of research and reading I think I found a good tackifier online from a chemicals company but I am waiting for an email back to see what they say about using it in this application along with the cost. As soon as i find out more info and see if it actually would be cost effective I will post the info. The current hurdle i'm trying to jump is cleaning and filtering the used oil. I have no issues on just the filtering part but I would like it to come out a light gold color so i'm hoping someone has an idea

Yes that would probably be the best answer but I know they are not cheap at all. I don't want to have to make 10,000 gallons of b&c to pay it off, lol

i have read somewhere that a fella filters his used oil then adds stp as a tackifier. he claimed it worked well, not sure of the proportions of his mix though

i have read somewhere that a fella filters his used oil then adds stp as a tackifier. he claimed it worked well, not sure of the proportions of his mix though

I read that also but that is not the route I want to go, STP would probably work but if I can get the oil to the level of cleanliness i'm looking for and I can add a tackifier that is made for that exact purpose I think it would turn out to be a better product. I never read into the make up of STP but I know its not for this purpose

My mentor has put used oil in all his saws for 25 yrs. His formula is very simple. Filter with a reuseable mesh type coffee filter into 5 gallon buckets and put in saw! Please don't shoot the messenger but he would argue spending more money is a waste.

Seems like it would be too thin. Maybe a person could mix it 50 50 with bar oil. That would cut the cost in half anyway.

This is the first paragraph from the EPA website concerning used oil:

Used oil can contain toxic chemicals and heavy metals and is insoluble in water. It’s slow to degrade
and sticks to everything from beach sand to bird feathers, polluting drinking water sources and
harming humans, wildlife, and aquatic life. Hazardous waste can be even more toxic, even in small
volumes. Toxic chemicals in hazardous wastes can accumulate in the tissues of animals that consume
contaminated water and ultimately end up in the food we eat. To reduce the risks of pollution to our
water and land, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has established rules for managing
used oil and hazardous waste.

Most customers would not want this on their property, even in small quantities.

lf you want to save money use canola oil....you don't want to spray nasty polluting carcenagenic oil everywhere including your lungs. lts quite stupid and irresponsible. Just my 2 cents.
Like I said don't shoot the messenger but I was sure it would happen within a couple of posts. Now I know why so many of us just lurk. Good bye.

I believe all oil is considered hazardous. It's only called hazardous waste after we use it. Is regular bar oil any better? And when I say oil I'm talking about the black stuff not the stuff in your deep fryer. I suppose there is a small amount of gas in used oil.

Like I said don't shoot the messenger but I was sure it would happen within a couple of posts. Now I know why so many of us just lurk. Good bye.
look l did not mean to upset you, but there is not really a need to do it if you don't HAVE to. Sure it will work just fine, l am if anything more concerned for you and what your working around. Of all the cheap options for bar oil used engine oil is most probably the worst. l aint no greenie l just work around environments where there is water, fish ect. Chainsaw run pretty quick and often can be in my hands for hours. l use canola and my wallet, my hands/skin, lungs are far the better for it. Where l am l pay $12-$20 a liter fpr petrolium based stuff and can use canola for wbout 10% of the cost. lt adds up trust me. lf you really want to do it don't let me stop you, go for it. Just my 3 cents

Hello,

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. First off I want to just restate the fact that the company I was referring to does make large quantities of B&C oil from used engine oil. With that being said I don't think that a clean filtered product made from used oil would be anymore damaging to the environment than any other. I do agree that veg oil may be overall better but that is not something that i'm looking for. I am just trying to figure out what the best process would be to clean out as many of the contaminants as possible. If I can figure out a process this would be used for a fairly large amount of oil so the savings would be spread across much more than just a few gallons.

Thanks Again

Hello,

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. First off I want to just restate the fact that the company I was referring to does make large quantities of B&C oil from used engine oil. With that being said I don't think that a clean filtered product made from used oil would be anymore damaging to the environment than any other. I do agree that veg oil may be overall better but that is not something that i'm looking for. I am just trying to figure out what the best process would be to clean out as many of the contaminants as possible. If I can figure out a process this would be used for a fairly large amount of oil so the savings would be spread across much more than just a few gallons.

Thanks Again

Im sure the company down the road from you that makes the B/C oil had to jump through hoops with the EPA and other regulator about turning that used motor oil into a "safe" product. I highly doubt its as simple as filter and add tac. Also, there are legitimate reasons why EPA does not want Joe Blow using used motor oil as B/C oil.
Maybe you should ask the company thats recycling the motor oil if they could give you an extra discount on their product if you provide them with "clean" used motor/hydraulic oil..?

Back