husqvarna 51 shutting off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I do. Its a Husky too, not open port though. And for firewood duty the 50cc rarely gets used, im a strong believer that a firewood saw starts at 60cc. But thats just my opinion. Any luck swapping coils?? The way he stated "overheat" had me worried it melted down, but hopefully just the electronics cooked.

when you say melt down are you referring to the coil or the piston?

Well.. I ordered it and it should be in on Monday.. I don't want to dismantle the 266 for any reason and possibly have 2 saws down. The 51 was being used to limb and buck small diameter wood.. No reason to put wear and tear on the big saw for 10" and smaller in my opinion.. Will let ya know how it goes when the parts come in.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The coil looks fine AMD the saw runs great at full throttle.. Its not till you let it go into low rpm or idle that it shuts down

Piston, Ive done it myself. It had heat waves coming off of it. Leaned it too much trying to get speed out of it. Did you try the coil swap? Or just waiting on a new one? If you have a spare plug, right after it acts up......unplug the plug in the cylinder, plug on your spare and ground it out, then pull the cord to see if you have blue spark or not. The way you mention WOT it runs make me worry its the piston and cylinder. Did you try the drop test? Hold the starter handle and let go of the saw, it should slowly lower itself down, you can feel each revolution of the motor as the compression stops the saws fall. If it drops right down, its fried.

It won't idle at all? Sounds like a air leak, the primary (L) circuit won't add enough fuel. Did it sit for a long time? Id vacuum test it. I wouldn't run it too long the way it is, our you will fry the top end.

Good advice all around.. If the new coil swap doesn't do it..I will bring it Palmer Saw .. Not to far from me and they are a Husqvarna certified sale and repair shop.. Sounds like it may be out of my league. Nate.. was that a new piston you installed?

Could this just need some adjustment on the low side? Also, isn't the 266 a 2 piece coil while the 51 is a one piece?

Latest posts

Back