Do stihls have more torque than husqvarna in general?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is one cool looking lure! Is that a Woody Woodpecker Bass Special???

While adding stroke is often used to increase torque (like making a 410 Mercury out of a 390), there are more important factors that determine if an engine is better at low end torque or high RPM hp, including carburetor, intake manifold profile, heads, cam, exhaust, etc. When Ford wanted to make the high Torque 428 PI more of a performance engine, they added a bigger carb, larger intake manifold ports, developed 428 CJ heads (part 427 medium riser part 427 low riser), and freer flowing exhaust manifolds. A few of these motors were put in 1968 Mustangs at year end, and they won the NHRA Nationals in their class.

Both hp and torque do fall off fast above the rated RPM, I like saws where the torque picks up quite a bit when the RPM drops a little making a more user friendly saw. If you only cutting 2" limbs that extra RPM might help due to rotational force but anything much bigger requires actual power and torque. When cutting real wood saws should be run at the rated max HP rpm but it's nice if they don't fall flat on their face if the RPM drops 300 rpm as small Husky saws do. Steve

When it drops a little, yes of course - but but the max torque specs usually are way down - making them irrelevant unless you you use a too small saw for the task, or a dull chain. Down there cutting will be really slow anyway.

Some fish will snap at anything.

How goes it, old man?

I believe you, I have had fish biting on an 8" red shad jig with a bright yellow back!

My replacement hip works fine, but I am waiting for surgery to litterally fix my damaged right ancle in place. I am hoping to get back in the woods some time this year, but I don't really know if it will happen....

These sort of "discussions" have about killed this site

This is what the site is for no? It's a fun site that shares info and breaks up the monotony of life, if people like the subject then people talk about it. Especially when there might me controversy about a subject. My intentions where not to create controversy but rather to take a poll of the members on the sight. There is no mystery about the fact owners gravitate toward certain brands for personal reasons. I don't care if its a poulan, Husqvarna, Stihl, or dolmar chains are awesome tools and since I don't care for cars, chainsaws are my hot rod. I like all performance tools, um I will attempt to speak for all here and say we all do.

I have not been on here for a long time because I've been too busy replacing all the firewood I burnt this cold past winter but it would appear to me that a saw that reached it's peak torque and held it to a flat or mostly flat line as the rpm's increased would be easier to run than a saw that had a short torque curve, even though the two saws produced the same peak horse power. In other words it would be easier to keep the flat torque saw cutting verses a peaky, radical saw that you had to work at keeping the engine at a certain rpm where it would produce the torque to get the cutting done. To a motorcyclist it would be like running a 85 horsepower Harley against a 85 horsepower Kawasaki 3 cylinder 2 stroke.

This is what the site is for no? It's a fun site that shares info and breaks up the monotony of life, if people like the subject then people talk about it. Especially when there might me controversy about a subject. My intentions where not to create controversy but rather to take a poll of the members on the sight. There is no mystery about the fact owners gravitate toward certain brands for personal reasons. I don't care if its a poulan, Husqvarna, Stihl, or dolmar chains are awesome tools and since I don't care for cars, chainsaws are my hot rod. I like all performance tools, um I will attempt to speak for all here and say we all do.

Well, the point is what torque the saws have in the rpm range that you work in, not the max torque, that usually is at way lower rpm anyway.

Hey, in keeping in line with the threads title, do Mcculloch's have more torque than Homelites?

You rarely hear anyone bragging that their castrato singing plastic saw was "unstoppable". There many vintage saws that can make that claim.
To get a true idea what real torque is, grab a big inch North American chainsaw from the late '60s into the '70s. These are not the low revving pigs with 1/3 the chain speed.

I think a 8 pin 404. I got to check.

Of course the only way to get a decent chain speed out of the low rev saws is a large drive sprocket, that has never been a secret!

However, they never will perform as well as saws with the same torque at higher rpm - power is a function of torque and rpm.

Latest posts

Back