Stihl 028 WB Rebuild | Full Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cardston

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi All! I just started a rebuild of Stihl 028 WB and then it occurred to me that there are probably forums where I could post the progress as well as get advice along the way. Google brought me here and I've spent several hours perusing all the great information that can be found here. So yeah, I'm new here :)

Background
In 1979 my family moved into a new house that had a wood burning stove. I was 12 at the time and my dad bought a new chainsaw to cut wood for the stove. He would drag me along in the summer and we would fell trees, cut and split the wood and haul it home. I have a lot of good memories from the 3 or 4 years that we spent doing that.

Fast forward to 15 years ago when a windstorm blew down several trees on either end of the street that I lived on, blocking all the cars. The city was inundated with cleanup and it would be several days before they could get to our street. My dad came by, brought his saw and helped me clear the trees. When we were done, he gave the saw to me as he didn't need it anymore. The saw has sat unused these 15 years since that day and I've since moved into a home with a proper fireplace. I've been looking at new chainsaws to stock up on some wood and then it occurred to me that maybe the old saw would be worth fixing, but I figured it had seen better days and probably wouldn't even run.

Condition
I doubt the saw has much more than 100 hours on it, but my father has never been one to really care about taking care of his tools. He would throw the saw in the back of the pickup and I would hear it bouncing the 30 or 40 miles home on our trips. I remember thinking at the time, "that can't be good for the saw". Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, I got the OCD gene and keep all my tools & power tools well maintained. I have a 13 year old Honda Commercial mower that every year one of my neighbors comments on my "new" mower.

I pulled the saw out and it was a real mess. I took the bar and chain off and then pulled the spark plug and looked into the cylinder. I was expecting rust, but it was bright shiny metal! Maybe there was hope. I emptied the old gas out and added some non-ethanol mixture along with a capful of Berryman B12 Chemtool. It took 5 or 6 pulls but it finally choked to life. I could feel good compression on the pulls, so that was a good sign. Thick black & gray smoke poored out of it and it chugged along for several minutes. After about 5 minutes of me revving it, but not to full throttle and then letting it idle, the smoke cleared up and it ran quite smoothly. I worked it up to full throttle. I was shocked by how loud and torque-y (new word?) it was. Honestly, it felt better in my hands than a couple of the new saws I had checked out. And the sound and smell instantly brought back memories with my dad. So I have no choice-I have to restore this baby.

Goal
I'd like to restore it to as new of condition as possible including cosmetically, if for no other reason than I like my tools to look nice. Some parts are no longer made, so that presents a challenge. I may look into getting the frame and tank media blasted and then powder coated. If anybody has experience or insight on re-powdercoating, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Let's get started
I had already done some clean up on the saw when I thought to look for a forum. So I don't have any pictures from the original condition. Drat. But it was a real mess. Here's where I'm at now.

Pulled the plastics. I had to cut the top one off as the screw attachment to the cylinder head was froze. Once I cut it off I used some pliers to torque the screw out. I didn't strip out the threads-so good. I've done some clean up on the chassis at this point. Pulled the clutch drum and oil pump gear. Pulled the muffler.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-1.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-2.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-3.jpg

Pretty cool. Made in West Germany.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-4.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-5.jpg

The chains and bar have seen better days.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-6.jpg

The chain catcher was broken when I pulled it off.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-7.jpg

The chain adjuster bolt was bent too. How does this even happen?
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-8.jpg

Cleaned up the clutch drum and oil gear. They look almost new. The good thing on the inside of the clutch drum is that there is almost no wear on it. I can't see or feel a groove or depression.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-9.jpg

So that's where I'm at. I've started a long parts list and my local Stihl dealer has already placed the first of what I'm sure will be many orders. I'll probably end up paying as much or more in time and money as I would to buy a new one. But from the nostalgia point of view, it doesn't really matter and it will be a fun project.

I welcome all your advice and critiques and look forward to them.

-Dan

Welcome, it looks like you have a very good handle on your restore. The bar adjustment screw was probably bent from the bar being pinched and the operator trying to muscle the saw out.

Welcome to AS! I am an 028 lover. Like you, I didn't take any before pix of my first 028, but it cleaned up real nice and I found it very nice to use. I just like the feel of an 028. This is by no means an origanal quote but "028's have cut cubic miles of firewood". Should be no problem to find good used parts. As far as the rubber parts go, I would just buy new. Have fun! DW

The bar adjustment screw was probably bent from the bar being pinched and the operator trying to muscle the saw out.

And on that model of Stihl, that can lead to a torn intake boot.
I got 3 028's a while back, and a parts saw. Ended up making two good out of the whole pile. Three of them had torn intake boots. If the upper rubber AV mount is a little worn or loose, or the saw is yanked on, the intake boot can tear, usually underneath where you can't see it. I would check that boot out if I was you.

Looks like a nice 028 though! Old enough to have the metal fuel tank and no chain brake it seems?

All-thanks for the welcome.

Chris in VT - So you have spare parts laying aroung? :) I'd planned on replacing all the rubber & plastic. When I pulled the fuel tank vent line it literally disintegrated into several pieces. 34+ year old rubber... oh and yeah, metal fuel tank and no chain brake.

I've pulled the oil pump and cleaned everything with solvent again. I'm using some amazing but very nasty stuff, perchloroethylene. It's basically drycleaning fluid in an aerosal can. It melts through crud, grime & grease like nobody's business. But I use a ventilator and capture the runoff over a bucket for disposal. It's expensive too, about $10/can, but look at the no scrub results.

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-10.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-11.jpg

After removing the throttle assembly, I have run into my first problem/challenge. The carb is stuck good. I've removed the carburetor nuts and dropped the fuel line. I can't pull the impulse line until the carb slides off a little. But the carb is stuck solid. I gave it a couple light taps with a hammer-but nothing. I don't want to risk damaging the carb. Ideas?
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-12.jpg

Hey Cardston, sorry, I actually don't have any more spare parts lying around. After I put the two saws together, I gathered up the picked parts saws and loose parts, put it all in a box, and brought it to the chainsawr's shop. He's not too far from me. Tons of older saw parts, used saw parts, everything chainsaw. Great shop. Anyways, they gave me store credit on all the parts and I got a 20" Oregon powermatch bar and LGX chain for my Jred 2171. I was happy!

On the carb being stuck- check and see if either the L or H jet screw is out far enough to catch on the carb box. Screw it in if it is. I remember when I pulled the carbs off my 028's they were on real good the first time. I used a screwdriver and pried it out using the fuel line inlet for leverage....
If the two nuts are off, then it's the throttle linkage, fuel+impulse line that's left to "hold" it on.

Also a note on parts- one of the parts -028's I had was an older saw- metal tank, no chainbrake. The other two saws were slightly different as well. Stihl made the 028 from the late 70's to the early 2000's? I believe. Correct me if i'm wrong (sawtroll)? Many updates and changes over the years. So you will want to make sure what you're getting will fit. The recoil cover was different, mufflers different, even some of the displacements are different.

The bar adjuster bolt gets bent when the side cover is tightened down without having the adjuster lined up with the hole in the bar.

Finally got the carb out, a Tillotsen HU-40A. It was stuck to the intake boot pretty good. The carb cleaned up nice and the date wheel on the body casting shows "79" so 35 years old. I ordered a rebuild kit off eBay tonight.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-13.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-14.jpg

Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-15.jpg

A fine first post!
Much much better than mine was.

My money is on the adjuster being misaligned when the cover was tightened.
it's bent at the end of its travel and the scrapes on it are pretty classic of that scenario.
Then the condition of bar & chain along with your background details of usage
leans that direction too.
But I'll have to defer to the folks who actually know the saw
to offer your guidance on the specifics of the restoration.

Hi Cardston. I'm doing my first rebuild, too. There are some really helpful videos on "U"-tube like this guy (except that he calls the bar a "blade"?)

Beware, there always seems to be somebody on here that will criticize you or your saw. Don't let those turkeys keep you away. There are mostly awesome people here with much saw knowledge!

@LegDeLimber - very kind of you to say.

@Stihl-man - Funny thing I just found the donnyboy youtube videos a couple days ago. There's certainly no end to the great info on saws & maintenance on the web. My carb is a Tillotson, not a Walbro, but I've found videos on rebuilding my model.

Yanked the AV rubbers out last night and separated the crankcase from the tank/handle part of the case.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-16.jpg

I pulled all the plugs, hoses, etc and then cleaned up all the oil & sawdust from the tank/handle. It is amazingly light! I believe it's magnesium from the research I've done.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-17.jpg

It took a bit of work to clean up the vent line nipple. It had the remains of the disintegrated hose stuck to it. Q-tips, toothbrush and solvent and it's shiny stainless now. Cleaned the gunk out of the inside of the nipple with some wire.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-18.jpg

The intake boot is in amazing shape. It cleaned up nice and the rubber still bends and flexes like new. I probably won't end up replacing if after all.
Stihl_028_WB_Rebuild-19.jpg

Hate to be a gadfly, but it seems like you could have cleaned this saw up cosmetically and never dismantled it for a complete rebuild. Did you say that it failed to start and run? Lots of times I do simple clean ups on saws along with routine maintenance, and suddenly they roar to life.

Local expression: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Hate to be a gadfly, but it seems like you could have cleaned this saw up cosmetically and never dismantled it for a complete rebuild. Did you say that it failed to start and run? Lots of times I do simple clean ups on saws along with routine maintenance, and suddenly they roar to life.

Local expression: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
The reason I'm restoring the saw the way that I am is probably similar to why Chip Foose restores cars the way he does.

The reason I'm restoring the saw the way that I am is probably similar to why Chip Foose restores cars the way he does.
OK, I stand corrected. Sometimes I'm too much of a pragmatist. It's a great hobby. I get a lot of enjoyment out of just taking a saw that does not run and/or has not run for years and bringing it back to life. The astonished look and smile on the owner's face (including my own) is almost reward enough on its own.

Back