Skidding firewood with new to me tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!

I had an old David Brown that I wised I still had!

Using a smallish Kubota now the works amazingly well in the woods. A cab wouldn't last long here, but would sure be comfortable at times!

The cab and exhaust might turn out to be a problem, but those Italian tractors are pretty good... They are Perkins powered and although I'm not a huge Perkins fan, lot's of fruit farmers here like them...

SR

Thanks guys, I was out this morning and it was raining and it changed to snow later on, I was soaked and cold and when I stepped in the heated cab for lunch it felt pretty good :) hehe, I maintain the trails pretty good and I'm careful where I drive so that I don't break any glass or rip one of the top lights off.

We have a case 5040 and case 5050 I think at the farm I work on. Use them for firewood and maple syrup so there in the woods alot. Half the windows are replaced with plexiglass. Nice to drag whole 100' trees with them

If Tractordata is right (sometimes they ain't), that's the same motor that's in my Massey 180 - just 20+ years newer. Those A4-236 motors are pretty much bulletproof, and economical too.

Landini and MF were connected back in the 80s - don't know if they still are?

Yes they were connected in the 80s and 90s, it is the Perkins a4 236. I have heard nothing but good things about that engine too ! I'm hoping to get a set of ice chains for next winter. The thing I like about this tractor is that it has differential lock on all 4 wheels, it's called hydralock. Works amazing. A few massey ferguson also had that setup.

Massey is owned by AGCO and one big reason "some" of the Masseys had front dif locks is, because the tractors were built by SLH, (a VERY GOOD Italian tractor mfg.) and painted Massey red. Lot's of the SLH tractors have F.Dif lock, one of my tractors has it too...

Anyway, Landini built a TON of orchard tractors in other colors and sold them in that color mfg.'s name, what made me not care for the Perkins so much is, LOT's of them had bad cams that had to be replaced and many of them have small oil leaks... Of course, Perkins has been owned by CAT for several years now, so maybe all of those things have been addressed by now?

SR

Thanks for the clarification SR, I really hope this tractor is gonna last me a very long time. It's a 96 and has 3600h on it.

Nice looking tractor. Love the saw holder.Lol! Looks like it can haul quite a bit of wood no problem.

It will haul 2 full cord if I pile it high enough, but a little less is what I usually put on, ground is uneaven quite a bit and the last thing I need is to upset the load.

Back