Repainting my old chipper???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was thinking I could find a commercial sandblaster and have him blast the thin remaining paint on the exterior/engine covers etc... and then repaint it. There is some rust and it just looks poor. Of course I would need to mask off the lights and the drum intake/bearings, but other than that I should be fine for a light blasting. Question is whats the best paint to put back on it..? I have a commercial piston pump sprayer, and a conventional automotive type spray gun, but I do not want to spend $200 on materials here and was thinking of some kinda implement or farm paint and that piston pump sprayer... What type of paint is that? Is it oil based?

What is the best paint for a machine?
Am I missing anything?

imron
do a search, you'll see why. dries like rubber, rocks just bounce off, no chips
-Ralph

I really did not want to hear that. I HATE using expensive automotive/aircraft paint over crap sub surface. I mean if I wanted to go over the entire thing with a DA and then some etching primer/build primer etc... then maybe. But this thing would take 2 weeks to get ready for a shot of Imron.

Unless you know something I don't? Have you sprayed it over a crap base with any results?

dude, I've rolled it out over a house trailer metal roof with decent looking results. no prep other than wire brush the rust spots. lay it thick

-Ralph

no idea Dan, and yes, I believe most equipment is sprayed with imron.
It will look like crap going on, but will dry smooth
-Ralph
found this online:
COLOR IMRON
Black 99U
Blue G81254
Burgundy 1434
Clear 5005
Concord Metallic 44431
Gold N8014U
Grape 44465U
Grey 72092U
Hunter 44408U
Lipstick W9023U
Pink K9442U
Raspberry 44464U
Red 3422U
Royal Blue G9369U
Sandstone 44453U
Silver 44434U
Tangerine T1890U
Teal - Dark K9592U
Teal - Mint K9452U
Violet K7952U
Wedgewood K0453U
White 555U
Yellow 44367U

I did not know it could go on like that.

Does it still use a multi-part mix? Hardener,reducer & the paint?

Anyone have a pic?

Hoosier said:
I was thinking I could find a commercial sandblaster and have him blast the thin remaining paint on the exterior/engine covers etc... and then repaint it. There is some rust and it just looks poor. Of course I would need to mask off the lights and the drum intake/bearings, but other than that I should be fine for a light blasting. Question is whats the best paint to put back on it..? I have a commercial piston pump sprayer, and a conventional automotive type spray gun, but I do not want to spend $200 on materials here and was thinking of some kinda implement or farm paint and that piston pump sprayer... What type of paint is that? Is it oil based?

What is the best paint for a machine?
Am I missing anything?

"DON'T BLAST"

blasting is great for certian things... but,, if you have moving parts,,, no matter how good of a job you do of taping,, that grit will be in every moving part of your machine...you really don't want that...

What's the deal here blast or no blast. My chipper needs paint as well but it doesn't need bearings yet so what is the best way to prep and paint it. I'm not trying to start a fight but I figured taping and blasting would be the way to go but on the other hadn it does seem like it would be almost impossible to keep all of the grit out. Opinions and constructive ideas would be apreciated.

Rhino line it my X boss rhino lined his 4 wheel drive hunting vehicle no chips no scratches .. stays fairly clean.. or go to tractor supply get a gallon of minneapolis moline yellow and have fun...

will brush on look any good with any of these paints. My chipper was painted with a brush by the previous owner and quite frankly looks terrible. Call me vain but I like my stuff to look good it helps the customers to fork over the cash easier.

TreeCo said:
Thanks Ralph. I was just about to screw up my chipper with Rustoleum.

ain't nothing wrong with rustoleum.. lot cheaper than imron... depends on what you want to do, and how much prep time you want to put in.. scuff and spray,, imron.. that stuff will stick to grease.. do a good prep job, it's a toss up...plus side of imrom- will last longer with little prep.. plus side of rustoleum, you can get a spray can to touch up any repairs along the way..
any good paint job is prep!!!! there is no miracle paint for lousy prep!!!

squisher said:
What's the deal here blast or no blast. My chipper needs paint as well but it doesn't need bearings yet so what is the best way to prep and paint it. I'm not trying to start a fight but I figured taping and blasting would be the way to go but on the other hadn it does seem like it would be almost impossible to keep all of the grit out. Opinions and constructive ideas would be apreciated.

ever go to a beach??? now think about that at 80 psi..unless you do it in pieces,, you're going to get sand where it isn't supposed to be...IMO

Back