Not enough mix in a bottle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendon Phillips

Chief Wood Chucker
Reaction score
My belray oil seems to be a few ozs short. This is the first time I've used it. Is it because it's better quality and needs less? Or did I get shorted? Seems like a dumb question, but I was kind of pissed about it as I wouldn't be running the correct mix in my 12 saws.
The second photo was from an old bottle of stihl that was laying around. Used it to verify the bottle markings are correct.
sajava6u.jpg

usese8es.jpg

Is the temperature the same and what about rated viscosity?
Is there any difference in how much "cling" is left in the bottles?

Maybe try adding two measured ounces *of Gasoline to each bottle and shake then drain
to see if anything changes.
i don't think I'd write off an oil packager on a single bottle short.
You might try to backlight a few bottles and see if it looks like there's a
repeating problem and then make a squawk IF need be.

seems like back in the 70's, there was an oil brand that mentioned allowing
"a little for cling" on the bottle size/fill.
But I could be just having a tetra-ethyl flashback though!

Edit to add words *"of gasoline" to that sentence. Hopefully it makes some sense now.
My ADD strikes again!

Belray is very sticky, it's actually hard to rinse out of a measuring container with gas. May be stuck in the bottle

Who cares where it is stuck! It is definately not in the gas where it belongs to achieve good performance! I completely agree with above and would give the company a nice call and clearly direct them to this site. Obviously something is not ok. Although to be honest I doubt it will really matter for regular cutting. But you paid for it so where is it.

I didn't miss any. I stood there for a while getting everything out, not spilling any except for the few drops on the belray bottle. The belray was done first, and the runny oil you see is from emptying it out after measuring it, and it's on the inside. All the temps were the same. It is definitely short. I seriously doubt there's 1.28 oz clinging to the inside of the bottle, but I'll tip it up and let it sit a while. I love the oil, great stuff. But I don't want to be short on mix if I trust them to give me the right amount. If you use belray, check it before you pour it and let us know.

Back