First run of my 066 "parts saw" deal...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JivaGo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First run of my latest acquisition within my current and presumably transient lumberjack phase.

(As previously reported), it's a Stihl 066 Magnum that I got as a parts saw from a Stihl dealer for $60. An additional $22 later, it runs like a champ, but with a borrowed 16" bar, chain and sprocket cover. I'm pretty happy to have stumbled into it.

--Although now I need a new Stihl dealer. It was misdiagnosed as having a bad piston and cylinder, plus a bad carburetor. The customer gave them the saw in lieu of the diagnostic fee, and I think bought a new saw.

In fact the piston and cylinder are in remarkable almost pristine condition, and the carb may have been fine, but I put a gasket kit into it anyway. It also needed a slider for the bar adjustment mechanism, and a starter cleaning, surface sanding and lube.

So.... I need a new dealer as they're either incompetent or dishonest, or some combo of that. (Even though I caught the good side of the situation this time.)

Just ordered:

$13 Aftermarket sprocket cover
$ 8 Spike for front cover
$10 OEM switch shaft (high idle kick foot broken)
$22 Aftermarket air filtration kit
$ 7 Outerwears pre-filter cover for air
$19 Dual port muffler cover
$ 7 Complete K10-WJ OEM carb kit for full carb rebuild and rejetting

Still to buy:
-Couple of new carb jets for about $5 each.
-I'm also in the market for a 32"to 36" bar and chains (which will be the biggest ticket item...).

Anyone have any bar suggestions? Love a Stihl bar, but maybe too much for my light usage. Will probably get a Stihl chain however, so far I really like them.

I may also get a new shroud and air cover, but no hurry on that. I'll clean and check the oil pump when I get all the other stuff.

JivaGo

066 first run.jpg

It started when I went in to ask about how much play there should be between a connecting rod and crankshaft. I purchased a $30 034 on Craigslist that was dismantled and full of problems. I'm a reasonably technical guy and I like a new challenge, but I'm not afraid to ask professional advice.

Me: "Hey, how much play is OK on a connecting rod? Trying to figure out what parts I'll need to replace."
Stihl tech: "I'm not sure. We don't usually repair engines, it's too expensive. So I don't know. People just buy new saws."
Me: "Even pro saws designed for rebuild?"
Him: "Yup".
Me (thinking on my feet): "Ummm, do you have any parts saws....?"

I have some big trees that need to come down. I'll keep my eye out for a smaller blade as well.

Dealer: He must have at least one or two competent techs, but if you can't trust the place.... I'm happy with my deal, but I don't want to collude with an unethical business now that I know what's going on.

I buy approx 1 saw a month from my local Stihl Dealer, most at bargain prices, and most because of "low compression". Some have scored pistons, and some need rings. The 028WB bought last week cost me $20 and needs a set of rings. I have no idea what Stihl charges for a ring job but it is enough to scare many to the showroom for a cup of old coffee and a chat w/ the sales rep. I really don't want it to change....they are my best source for cheap projects.

I have some big trees that need to come down. I'll keep my eye out for a smaller blade as well.

Dealer: He must have at least one or two competent techs, but if you can't trust the place.... I'm happy with my deal, but I don't want to collude with an unethical business now that I know what's going on.
Not really a shocker, a lot of dealers nowa days want to sell new, not really fix anything. I agree, i would frequent there establishment, there not getting rich selling you the "unfixable" saws, but it could line your pockets a little.

I think it's the piston/cylinder being pristine that's bothering me. Ethically anyway. I took them on their word, and was ready buy and Ebay piston and cylinder etc.

Someone believed the expert and gave away a great saw. If there was scoring, even only moderate maybe, I still would have though it was a good deal. And a fun project for something that I need (sort of).

You never know. I got a saw and the repair tag said "needs new carb". I put new impulse and fuel lines on it and it fired right up. Did the dealer intentionally screw that guy or did he make a mistake. I'll never know but it is what it is. :)

OK, I'm off my soap box. It's a great saw, was a great deal, and I'm quite happy with it. I'll just accept my good luck on this one and quit neuroticising.

I was given a dolmar 111i that was sold as seized that a friend got with some scrap metal.
all that was wrong was the pull cord slipped of and wrapped around shaft :):)
My boss took in his 610evl because it was not running right and thay said coil stuffed :eek:
I found spark plug lead of :)
Most Dealers dont even look to find a fault
just want to sell new saw:confused:
Same dealer told me my saw was stuffed (burnt valve )o_O because there was a hole in muffler o_O
He didn't no it was a MM :eek:

Back