Anyone Know Anything About Lawn Boy Lawnmowers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky Joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My POS Lawn Boy wouldn't start this spring so I went and bought a new sparkplug. In the meantime, I noticed that the gas had leaked out of it onto my garage floor. I popped the plate off the bottom and found gas in there. Looks almost like a muffler or exhaust pipe running through that little chamber.
Any ideas on what my problem is?

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Lol. That is the exhaust system. While it's open pop the pipe out and see if it's plugged with carbon. If gas was coming out then it was flooded and you have to figure out that problem. :D

My POS Lawn Boy wouldn't start this spring so I went and bought a new sparkplug. In the meantime, I noticed that the gas had leaked out of it onto my garage floor. I popped the plate off the bottom and found gas in there. Looks almost like a muffler or exhaust pipe running through that little chamber.
Any ideas on what my problem is?

View attachment 354086

View attachment 354087
The reed valve in behind the carb could be rotten away and the needle valve stuck open the gas would flow freely into the crankcase. Lawn boys are bad for this.

So, you don't shut the fuel off eh? Since you got it apart, de carb that muffler (always wondered where it was hmmm?). If its the needle valve, you might get by with simply shutting off the fuel valve when it isn't running. Likely some debris lodged in there.

There is simply nothing available on the market today to replace that mower. Nothing. So in my opinion, its worth whatever it takes. I'd bet on the needle and seat.

Love mine.

Possible and your right nothing can replace a lawn boy
If you can't tell 2 stroke lawn boys are kinda my thing.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

Oh yeah the float is made out of cork and they tend to get waterlogged and won't float. That will cause the needle valve not to get closed.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

overhaul the carburetor and take the muffler and exhaust pipe and put it in the gas grill and let it smoke and flame till the carbon powders out.
only way I know to clean lawnboy mufflers as I own one from 1979.
CJ14 champion is what it uses and add a fuel shut off valve while you are at it those carbs are bad about leaking needles and seats and filling the engine with mix. turn the valve run it dry and store it.
yours looks like a duraforce engine E series 6.5 hp

overhaul the carburetor and take the muffler and exhaust pipe and put it in the gas grill and let it smoke and flame till the carbon powders out.
only way I know to clean lawnboy mufflers as I own one from 1979.
CJ14 champion is what it uses and add a fuel shut off valve while you are at it those carbs are bad about leaking needles and seats and filling the engine with mix. turn the valve run it dry and store it.
yours looks like a duraforce engine E series 6.5 hp

That is what I was think about engine size.:rolleyes: That is a great idea with the shut off valve :clap:.

Ours died sadly after more than 25 years of use. The last years where the worst, mowing 3/4 acre high grass.

Many thanks and my apologies for posting here but I figured there'd be some help. Yeah, it's a 6.5hp Duraforce. The carb might be over my head so I may drop it off at the local shop. I have a dealer just 2 miles from the compound. I had a steep hill to mow where I lived before but I don't mow much at my new place---out in the woods---but I mow my sand mound twice a summer.

My very first Lawnboy was an 18" made in 1967. That one I ran on Quaker State outboard motor oil. Big mistake as it plugged the exhaust port on a regular basis. Changed to a mix using Lawnboy synthetic and problem went away.

Pioneerguy has it right. Notorious for float problem. Depending on year, it may be cork. Funny you bring this up, I had a lawn boy weekend getting some of mine roaring.

Attachments

• 0604141908_0001.jpg
    0604141908_0001.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back