Pioneer 800 Barn Find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a big old dude. I never saw a chainsaw with an upside down sediment bowl

That is a great score. It replaced the JA, JB, JC series saws, which is the largest one man saw they made. It's a very desirable saw, if you want to part with it, I know of several people who would be interested.

I saw a JC stamped on the saw near the dog. Does that mean it's a JC?

No, it's an 800 because of the air filter type, but used a lot of the same parts as a JC. That is a part number you are seeing, and they used the model in the part number. I have an owners manual for it that says Model JC, type 800, Producer. Does yours have a model tag?

I have not seen a model tag, in pictures of other 800 saws it should be in front of the recoil

The F-M recoil starter is easy to fix IF you know what you are doing. It has to be put together correctly and NO oil on the fiber friction washers. The ends of the dogs need to be sharp but if you file on them do not make them shorter. If the inside of the cup is slick, dipmple the surface every 1/6"-3/32" with a prick punch. Properly assembled the dogs will extend in a 1/4 turn of the pulley.

Fairbanks Morse starter on Homie C-5 shown fro reference.

F-M starter 001 (Copy).JPG F-M starter 002 (Copy).JPG

Pull to engage and then rip away to turn engine over. Do not rip from a dead stop, you'll just chew up the starter cup.

Thanks for the info but the problem with the recoil is that it's locked up. I suspect the spring is broke and jammed. I hate to pull it apart because I know the spring will go crazy. I hate recoils!!!!

Thanks for the info but the problem with the recoil is that it's locked up. I suspect the spring is broke and jammed. I hate to pull it apart because I know the spring will go crazy. I hate recoils!!!!

Yup, seen it several times, the spring gets rusty and just a bit of stress makes 'em break in twenty pieces. High carbon steel is notch sensitive.

I would imagine that parts are hell to find, but I am sure that one of these Pioneer Fans would love to take it off your hands.
It would be neat to see it working again.
In this age of AT saws, a old big monster like that would be nice to see and hear buck a big log.

Latest posts

Back