Chain Angles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John R

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I always sharpen my chains at 60, 30, and 0.
Tonight when I was grinding my saw chain I ground it at 60, 25, and 0, it was an old chain and I wanted to give it a try to see how it works.

What do you guy's think, will I like it or not?

I run with a steeper vertical angle around 70 and 25 across, edge seems to last a bit longer that way in heavy bark trees. Gullet doesn't end up so deep towards the rear of cutter as well, but you have to keep your wheel well dressed to the proper shape or the bottom will be leading the edge which is no good.

That 25 deg top angle seems to be common with chains like "vanguard" whether I grind or file them. Works just fine for me.

Probably much less important than consistency and edge sharpness. Consistency of cutter-length is over-rated, too. If it works for you, what more would you want? Important: sharpness, conservation of metal.

Depends on the chain. Most common is 30 degrees. If you do a lot cutting of either dirty or frozen wood then try a 25 degree top plate angle. It won't be as sharp as 30 or 35 but will be more durable.

stihl 3/8 chisel 55 , 25 ,o cutting all Aussie hardwood green or dry dead , wet dirty dead all good seems to hold good the edge and cut really well I don't notice a difference in cutting speeds if the grind is 60 30 or 35 but Im not as astute as some of you or as I probably should be Im just cutting fire wood after all

Latest posts

Back