Hiring someone under the table

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Good Wood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need help splitting wood so.... what if they get hurt on my property?

I know they should get a 1099 and be classified as a independent contractor and they should carry insurance. Well selling firewood on a cash only basis in about the only way to make a justifiable profit for the work. I f i was 100% legal I wouldn't make squat for money by the time it all works out. So charge more to cover it, well with prices in my area that would price me right out of the game. Most every one I know that sell firewood is cash only for the above reason.

What can i do?

Thanks.

Liability waiver to be on your property might be the only way..?
There really is no waiver. If somebody gets hurt on your property, expect to be held liable. Even if it's a friend who promises they would never come after you, their lawyer will start by suing your homeowner's or property owner's insurance. If his lawyer doesn't, the lawyer for his health insurance will. It's a chance you take. Either ramp up production, go legit, and get the proper forms and insurances, or understand the risks that you will take doing it under the table. I'm really not lecturing or trying to sound like a jerk, we've pretty much all made some sort of money or business venture under the table at some point in time or another, including me. Pretty much just laying it out in black and white.

Oh, and having people sign a waiver is about as useful as having them cross-their-heart-and-hope-to-die. You'd think a signed/notarized waiver of liability would be of some use, but courts just ignore them as if they didn't exist - according to my sources.

I

I know they should get a 1099 and be classified as a independent contractor and they should carry insurance. Well selling firewood on a cash only basis in about the only way to make a justifiable profit for the work. I f i was 100% legal I wouldn't make squat for money by the time it all works out. So charge more to cover it, well with prices in my area that would price me right out of the game. Most every one I know that sell firewood is cash only for the above reason.

What can i do?

Thanks.
I have asked myself the same question....and got about the same answers as posted here.

Stay small, no hired help, cut costs to make a profit some place else.

Stay small or go legit BIG, one or the other. Go big, at least an LLC or S corp, all the bells and whistles and paperwork, but then you can start deducting this or that. of course, workmans comp on your employees and so on is no joke. There is no real practical middle ground. Small cash or full time big.

Just go ahead and take your chances. Do your best to hire someone decent. I've, errrrr had a friend who had employees under the table for various reasons...... I've also worked, I mean.... had friends who've worked under the table also. Its always worked out just fine, ummmm ...... for my friends.

What can i do?

Thanks.

Have him take it to his house, split it, and bring it back.
That's the only sure way now a days.

Sad but true.

I have a neighbor who hired one of the local Crack heads to help him split. The kid got his hand between a round and the splitter foot, smashed two fingers pretty bad. Ended up costing the neighbor a bunch of money.
I had the same kid work for me, before this happened, with no problems.
You pay your money and you take your chances.

Your best bet is to find some kids that have worked on farms around equipment before as they tend to have a higher aptitude when it comes to running equipment and watching out for the things that "bite". It's also your responsibility to coach them on slowing down and working safe. Most crushed fingers dealing with splitters could be avoided but people get complacent and forget about line of fire, even seasoned people.

First, if you hire them to work on your property, you set the hours, and furnish the tools, you cannot 1099 them. They are not contract labor , they are your employees. I know, lots of folks hire folks and 1099 them each year, but when you get down to the nitty gritty, they are leaving themselfs setup for lots of possible legal problems. I know of at least two instances where a employee that had been getting 1099's for their wages, that when the work ran out, they filed for unemployment insurance and guess who had to pay, their former employer.

Second, you are responsible for them, meaning workerscomp, SS, income tax withholding, unemployment insurance, the whole 9 yards. You can hire them and rent them the equipment, let them set their own hours, pay their own taxes, (1099), but you would need to make sure that they also have workerscomp . If you hire anybody to work on your property and they dont have their own workerscomp, you are responsible to provide the workerscomp for them. If they get hurt, you are responsible for them. Sad, but true. If you hire a lawn care man to cut your grass, he cuts his toes off, and doesnt have workers comp, you are liable.

I hired crackheads to remove a concrete driveway. They were late the second day but showed up with a very new diesel GMC 6500 series stakebed truck to haul away the concrete. I didnt ask any questions. Just keep all your stuff locked and have a visual show of force. . That way they leave with the idea your a man of business and your business plan has been approved John Moses Browning himself.

Just treat hired-under-the-table crack-heads... errrr... I mean employees like horses; if they break a leg, shoot 'em in the head and bury 'em.
No fuss, no muss, no law suits...

Why wait for a broken leg? Shoot and bury 'em before payday! No fuss, no muss, no law suits, and a better looking bottom line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back