short term storage question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of the following would you do for a saw that will sit for three weeks or so?

• Leave the saw as is, with the tank empty

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Leave the tank empty and put a little oil in the cylinder through the plug hole.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fill the tank with 50:1 non-ethanol premix and run it for a bit to circulate the fuel.

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Some other great idea Spellfeller hasn't thought of

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Spellfeller

A noob wising he had more time to cut trees...
Reaction score
Hi, all:

I bought a new saw almost a week and a half ago and have used it consistently in that time. Now I am going on vacation for a few weeks and the saw will sit. Yesterday, I ran the tank empty to the point that the saw stalled. Per the owners manual, I pulled the starting cord slowly a few times which is supposed to get fuel out of the carb.

So my question is above...I'd really value your opinions!

Don't know if this is the right way, but I use plain gas with Stihl Ultra at 50:1, I just clean off the saw, sharpen the chain and put it in the case until I use it the next time, sometimes for a few months.

It always starts great, and runs good.

I run non ethanol 93 plus echo synthetic with the added stabiliser. By long term observation now, it really doesn't seem to matter, so I just leave fuel in the tank. I used to idle dry, but did an experiment, bit more than a year in a saw, started and ran fine.

If you want to use the pre mix cans, that would work, too, if you don't have any non ethanol gas to use.

If it is ethanol fuel, idle dry, pump some good canned fuel into it, leave it full (less air space).

I always drain the fuel tanks on my OPE, then start it up and let it idle until it dies.

But, there will be others coming along soon and tell you that it's not necessary.

I do that too, every time. I store my saws in my basement and do not want any fumes. No issues with it so far, and I've been doing it that way for years now. If I even smell a whiff of gas the saw sleeps outside

If you're using non ethanol mix, no worries.
If you're running ethanol fuel, drain the tank and run it dry.

I do that too, every time. I store my saws in my basement and do not want any fumes. No issues with it so far, and I've been doing it that way for years now. If I even smell a whiff of gas the saw sleeps outside

I used to store my OPE in my storage shed. It's about as secure as you can make a storage shed secure. That means a big padlock and hasp on the door, and interior window bars on the window. But, the temp varies greatly with the change of the seasons.

With the recent acquisition of my OPE, I now keep it stored
If you're using non ethanol mix, no worries.
If you're running ethanol fuel, drain the tank and run it dry.

Even if you're using Non-E fuel, it will dry out and gum up just as bad as E fuel will.

I've experienced that fact long before ethanol fuel ever hit the market.

I've had zero issues with leaving saws fueled as long as a year with non-E fuel. I dump the gas before I start, but no issues yet. I have a Husky 266 that gets used once a year at most and I've been treating it that way for 20 years.

I just leave them how they were when I shut em off. Right now I have two saws in my truck I was using today. One is almost full, one is probably at 1/4 tank. They will stay like that until I use them again. I try to rotate my saws around so they get used once in a while but some can go for a long time between uses. I do use non ethanol fuel but don't add any stabilizers unless there happened to be some in my special oil blend (a mix of a dozen brands)

I've had fuel with Stihl 2 cycle mix (stabilizers already in it) go bad. It will if you let it sit too long.

Depending on how much use your Saw sees, TruFuel is a good product.

I leave it in all my 2-stroke gear and do not worry.

Of course if you go thru a lot of gas then it might not be a good choice.

Even if you're using Non-E fuel, it will dry out and gum up just as bad as E fuel will.

I've experienced that fact long before ethanol fuel ever hit the market.
Bullchit, we're talking about three weeks. Ethanol free fuel isn't going to dry out and gum up in 21 days, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Bullchit, we're talking about three weeks. Ethanol free fuel isn't going to dry out and gum up in 21 days, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I wasn't referring to a period of three weeks. Sure, three weeks it will be fine.

My point is, Non-E or E-gas will gum up the same, given the same storage conditions and length of time.

I wasn't referring to a period of three weeks. Sure, three weeks it will be fine.

My point is, Non-E or E-gas will gum up the same, given the same storage conditions and length of time.

I was responding to the OP's question. If he had asked about long term storage, I would have given him an answer about long term storage.
It's kind of like me asking how to make cole slaw and you telling me how to make Kimchee.

One of the problems with a lot of equipment is that the time between uses is unknown. When I cut with a saw, many times I don't know whether I'll need that saw within a few days or it may be months. If the time frame gets long and I say to myself, "Self, it's been a long time since that saw's been run". So I dump out what's in the tank and add fresh fuel. I've been doing this for years and it works fine for me. If I HAD to use ethanol fuel (can't see that ever happening to me) I would definitely change my practices as I've personally observed the detrimental effects of that.
So to answer the OP's question, for the period of time he described, I don't think any action would be required as long as it was limited to that time frame and weeks didn't turn into as many months...

I was responding to the OP's question. If he had asked about long term storage, I would have given him an answer about long term storage.
It's kind of like me asking how to make cole slaw and you telling me how to make Kimchee.

What in the Hell is kimchee? :confused:

BTW......it's been documented that 96.7 % of the time, questions posed on an internet forum are not answered directly, promptly or correctly.

I read that on the internet.

Latest posts

Back