NEW 372 FAILURES

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can run 20:1 in these things and the bearing will still go, it's not a lack of lube killing them.

What makes a 372XT different from any other XT? The same bearings are used in both XT saws and non-XT saws. Wouldn't it stand to reason that all XT saws running 50:1 will have bearing problems due to lack of lube if that were the case?

You can run 20:1 in these things and the bearing will still go, it's not a lack of lube killing them.

What makes a 372XT different from any other XT? The same bearings are used in both XT saws and non-XT saws. Wouldn't it stand to reason that all XT saws running 50:1 will have bearing problems due to lack of lube if that were the case?

So a bearing re-install will solve the problem?

But how do you get a press fit bearing into a bore crooked like that? Is it ruining the cases too? I guess with a strong enough press, anything is possible.

I'm not an engineer or machine operator, just the dude with a wrench getting yelled at. I suppose anything is possible. I would imagine a proper bearing replacement, given the case is fine, should remedy the issue.

But how do you get a press fit bearing into a bore crooked like that? Is it ruining the cases too? I guess with a strong enough press, anything is possible.
With any press fit you are counting on the material deforming. In this case it is unlikely the race is deforming, probably the case. Still, why can't the bearing wedge in at an angle?

FWIW I never did get how 50:1 vice 32:1 could lead to the destruction of anti-friction bearings, where the only metal-on-metal scuffing would be ball cages on balls. If everything's aligned.

With any press fit you are counting on the material deforming. In this case it is unlikely the race is deforming, probably the case. Still, why can't the bearing wedge in at an angle?
Well at the factory its not some monkey installing the bearings, its a 5 axis cnc press that outdoes a lot of monkeys.

For the original OP, your buddy with the four failures, well a lot can be learned from that, and the truth is hidden within. On each failure was the saw replace with a new one? Let me guess......the answer would be no........correct? Vac and pressure test results? Oh yeah none. Degree of bearing failure? Cage separation, how many balls lost? Yet another blank.

Best part of it all is the bearings, well all of the lower end is the same as it has been for years.

For the original OP, your buddy with the four failures, well a lot can be learned from that, and the truth is hidden within.

Why would any one person have four failures in a row? After the second failure I would have said, "Keep the GD thing and give me my money back, I'm buying an Echo.".

Well at the factory its not some monkey installing the bearings, its a 5 axis cnc press that outdoes a lot of monkeys.
I'm quite familiar with the difference between a manufacturing environment and a repair shop since it's what I do. Still, things go wrong constantly - jigs wear, people set things up wrong, parts are defective, etc.

There is no where near enough info here to know for sure what happened, but takingTK's info at face value do not kid yourself that just because the factory does it then it must be perfection. Factories are run by people and stuff happens.

On top of all that my comment was about the passibility of pressing a bearing in at an angle, which I'm sure is possible.

For the original OP, your buddy with the four failures, well a lot can be learned from that, and the truth is hidden within. On each failure was the saw replace with a new one? Let me guess......the answer would be no........correct? Vac and pressure test results? Oh yeah none. Degree of bearing failure? Cage separation, how many balls lost? Yet another blank.

Best part of it all is the bearings, well all of the lower end is the same as it has been for years.

Well you can throw all the rocks you want but you would be and are wrong. Each time a saw failed it was replaced with a NEW unit. The dealer is one of if not the biggest mover of Husky saws in Michigan. They do know what they are doing. I don't think a vac test is needed with a bearing gone, can't build vac with a hole in the crankcase. Should not matter the saw is under warranty and it does not run, that would be huskys problem, the dealer is the best I have dealt with and they make sure you are up and running, so being this was a major issue they hand you a new saw. The #5 saw that was/is failing was given back to them, the dealer could not warranty because it still was running. [Perfectly understandable, it did not meet huskys warranty requirement] My buddy did not care, he just needs a reliable saw so they gave him a few hundred off of a 576. I don't know how many 372's were returned but he said there was a bunch waiting to go back. CJ

I have a dozen non - XT 365's and 372's. None have ever had a premature bearing failure.

I have a dozen non - XT 365's and 372's. None have ever had a premature bearing failure.

Same here, between 10-15 of these saws and all of them were ran day in day out with 0 bearing issues. Heck I have never had a crank bearing issue in any saw or 2 stroke for that matter. I'd better be quiet I own a 800 e-tec, I can hear the Isoflex grease dripping out as it sits! CJ

Well you can throw all the rocks you want but you would be and are wrong. Each time a saw failed it was replaced with a NEW unit. The dealer is one of if not the biggest mover of Husky saws in Michigan. They do know what they are doing. I don't think a vac test is needed with a bearing gone, can't build vac with a hole in the crankcase. Should not matter the saw is under warranty and it does not run, that would be huskys problem, the dealer is the best I have dealt with and they make sure you are up and running, so being this was a major issue they hand you a new saw. The #5 saw that was/is failing was given back to them, the dealer could not warranty because it still was running. [Perfectly understandable, it did not meet huskys warranty requirement] My buddy did not care, he just needs a reliable saw so they gave him a few hundred off of a 576. I don't know how many 372's were returned but he said there was a bunch waiting to go back. CJ

Having the saw replaced with a new unit each time (now 5 times), would directly lead to the failure point as the operator. You can have a bearing failure without seal damage.

Number 5 saw as it is still running needs to be addressed properly, its under warranty thus it does meet Husqvarnas warranty requirements.

Seeing as 4 saws were replaced by the dealer with new units, it would have been done as a handheld replacement, four in a row with the same owner should really be questioned.

"The dealer is one of if not the biggest mover of Husky saws in Michigan" yep they are movers alright, sell a bunch of them, but can't service them worth crap.

Failure analysis is a big part of the game.

50:1 oil ratios are actually a EPA thing.

I run 32:1

50:1 oil ratios are actually a EPA thing.

I run 32:1
No they are not, sorry EPA is a US thing, that's it that's all. Apart from an arms length agreement with Canada, the EPA means nothing worldwide.

Emissions compliance is much greater in the EU, that's were the 50:1 comes from, not the EPA.

At any point it is a emissions thingy and not good for the chainsaw.

Latest posts

Back