Anyone have pics of retail firewood yards in your area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman6666

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Like title says interested in seeing pics of retail firewood lots in other cities any pics are greatly appreciated thanks in advance

I have never seen one around here. There are craigslist ads, piles of bundles/bags at the stores, loose on the concrete or on pallets or in very large cardboard boxes on pallets, and various people around town put small stacks in the front yard by the street with little signs that say like $10 or $20. There's another deal at a local gas station with a small trailer, full of splits, with a simple "firewood" sign on it, looks to be around 1/3rd of a cord.

I actually like that last idea, someone wants it, hitch up and go deliver it!

Almost forgot, home despot has a strapped pallet load in the winter, again, maybe 1/3rd cord and from what I remember it was not cheap either. I assume they forklift it into the customers truck.

No pictures but there is one I drive by. It's a very simple setup. If you think of a square piece of paper, the logs are at the top left stacked with ends pointing east and west. Then the splitter is just at the bottom right side of the stack, and the stacks of split wood are in the middle to the bottom with the ends of the splits facing north/south. He's got about 20 cords split and stacked in rows about 30' long and there is a driveway that goes around the stack for easy customer access or to load with a tractor bucket. Basically you start in the spring and stack the furthest rows away from you and as the pile of logs gets smaller, the stack gets closer to you so you are basically always moving wood the same amount. He had it all done well before memorial day so it will be seasoned by fall (white birch only needs one summer to dry).

The guy's brother is a major logger in the area so I'd think he gets a good deal on the logs. Otherwise there's not much margin to process firewood from delivered logs in this area.

Back