chainsaw addiction is there a cure?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freak,
I must add, I made a 700 mile round trip just to meet him personally and pick up my saws. A trip I would gladly make again. It was truly a pleasure to meet the man and spend a day with him. He's probably forgotten more than most will ever know. I will never comment on others work that I'm not familiar. However, I can say, my saws scream even if Big Dave is supposedly "Old School".

BIGBORE577 said:
Freak,
I must add, I made a 700 mile round trip just to meet him personally and pick up my saws. A trip I would gladly make again. It was truly a pleasure to meet the man and spend a day with him. He's probably forgotten more than most will ever know. I will never comment on others work that I'm not familiar. However, I can say, my saws scream even if Big Dave is supposedly "Old School".

Hey, the name is Steve. I got to meet Dave at a GTG practically in my back yard. I agree, he has probably forgotten more than most will ever know. I plan to send him my 084 once it is together. He might not relize it, but the couple beers I had in his pressence and me listening and asking questions made more of a learning differance to me than many, many trial and errors. I commend the guy for taking the time to teach people and inform the willing. Most would hide the knowledge they have learned. I think very highly of him, just for tolerating me for a couple hours. lol.

Old school or not, the little I've seen of him and his saws, they flat out scream, whether it be a woods saw or race saw.

I'm not one to talk down of others that i have not had experience with either, but I would let Big Dave do my brain surgery before many others.

Steve,
We are definitely on the same page in regards to Dave. He certainly is a gentleman and also took the time to teach me more about saws in an afternoon than I could have learned over several years on my own. The only thing I regret, is how I'm going to come up with the money for the saws I want him to build for me next.
Jay

Yup, I got the bug sometime back and the only sure cure I found was to own everything from 35cc to over 3500cc and everything in between.

Rotax Robert:chainsaw:

Robert
I know of you also. When Big Dave runs out of options, if ever, on saw ideas I'll be contacting you!

I thought that the 12 step program was what was offered here.

1. buy a saw
2. buy another saw
3. buy another saw
4. buy PPE
5. buy a broken saw
6. buy parts saw to fix saw in step 5
7. buy another saw
8. buy too many extra bars and chains
9. buy another parts saw
10. buy another saw
11. buy another saw
12. buy another saw

I thought I was done but I moved onto step 13

13. sell a saw (to free up money to buy more saws, sharpener etc.)
14. repeat in no particular order:bang:

Jim

My program would never allows step 13 (For several reasons!)
"Sell a Saw"
Jay

12 step

If I have some of Dan's saws and Dave's saws and one of Ed's should I get a KD or two to test it against the others? I mean look what happened to Rich (rawtreelimbs) after we voted him Most Improved New Guy of the year a few years back. It went to his head and he now builds modded mufflers and uses a tach to set the high end RPMs of the saws and hides them from his wife by telling her he's just fixing (his) those newest saws for his friends. So, somewhere in the 12 step program you have to address "Don't encourage others" by tempting them with ported saws, hand filing race chains, modded mufflers or invites to getogethers. That leads to the next step that is so hard to recover from, buying machines to assist you now that so many saws it pays to have machines to speed things up so you can do more saws, chains and mufflers faster and digging for port time numbers from builders.
:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:
Will the 12 step help me or should I just buy the wife another new car and hope she doesn't notice all the saws?

geofore said:
If I have some of Dan's saws and Dave's saws and one of Ed's should I get a KD or two to test it against the others? I mean look what happened to Rich (rawtreelimbs) after we voted him Most Improved New Guy of the year a few years back. It went to his head and he now builds modded mufflers and uses a tach to set the high end RPMs of the saws and hides them from his wife by telling her he's just fixing (his) those newest saws for his friends. So, somewhere in the 12 step program you have to address "Don't encourage others" by tempting them with ported saws, hand filing race chains, modded mufflers or invites to getogethers. That leads to the next step that is so hard to recover from, buying machines to assist you now that so many saws it pays to have machines to speed things up so you can do more saws, chains and mufflers faster and digging for port time numbers from builders.
:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:
Will the 12 step help me or should I just buy the wife another new car and hope she doesn't notice all the saws?

I hear you on that one! Yesterday I couldn't spell "Chainsaw Tachometer".
Today, I dont't own one but own two! I justfied it because they were cheap and I'd have a back up if one broke!;)

worst addiction

really bad stihl addiction

buy a saw
buy too many bars and chains
Buy new Chaps
buy another saw
trade new saw for bigger saw
buy too many chains
buy chain file sharpenerer
buy over sized brush cutter
buy too many saw blades
buy 12 quarts of mt2x oil right before winter

well at least i can sharpen my loops for the next six months

jef

You mean you don't sharpen at least one chain just to cut frozen wood? You know it takes a different angle on the cutters to stay sharp longer in frozen wood. somewhere on this forum is a thread all about this angle thing which would let you go out in the winter and cut frozen wood. That way you and the saws won't suffer from cabin fever through the winter. ++ it gives you a chance to get out there with the :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

No cure for this disease. Once you start collecting the saws just seem to keep popping up. Up to 22 saws myself, all in good working order ready to cut wood at a moments notice.
1-Homelite EZ
2-Pioneer 1074's
2-Pioneer P28's
3-Pioneer P38's
1-Pioneer P39
1-Farmsaw
2-Farmsaw II's
2-P41's
1-P41HP
1-P51
1-P52
1-P62
2-P42's
1-405
1-1200

The cure is to go work for a dealer (any brand) as a mechanic... It's a long slow process, but after a while you see all saws a filthy POS, and owners as child abusers, or worse... the side effect is that your home will fill up with even more filthy POS from "customers" trying to bypass the high shop rate charged by your employer.

Any resemblance to my position is a purely coincidental.

Andy,
That makes sense. I went into the restaurant business and lost 80 pounds.Watching slobs eat and the smell of cooking food and it's aftermath really curbed my appetite.
Jay

BIGBORE577 said:
Andy,
That makes sense. I went into the restaurant business and lost 80 pounds.Watching slobs eat and the smell of cooking food and it's aftermath really curbed my appetite.
Jay

:ices_rofl:

"the side effect is that your home will fill up with even more filthy POS from "customers" trying to bypass the high shop rate charged by your employer."

Hey!!!

I resemble that remark…

Must be on step 7 in the 12 steps.

attachment.php
"

It’s not my fault if I live ten miles from Lakeside…the question is, did I ‘Bury (Andy) in old Crap”, or is Andy one of those Enablers? :cheers:

Ruffian said:
"the side effect is that your home will fill up with even more filthy POS from "customers" trying to bypass the high shop rate charged by your employer."

Hey!!!

I resemble that remark…

Must be on step 7 in the 12 steps.

attachment.php
"

It’s not my fault if I live ten miles from Lakeside…the question is, did I ‘Bury (Andy) in old Crap”, or is Andy one of those Enablers? :cheers:

Finally, he posts!! Welcome... to the "other" part of the addiction.

Hey, those saws have my fingerprints on them ... even the duct tape repair to the air box cover!

Hmmm, you are definitely enabling me in more than one way - for those that don't know, Ruffian pays me me (partially) in Beer. Supplies running dangerously low again:hmm3grin2orange:

Back