I can't wait to hear the screaming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, the price of wood around here is going to go "thru the roof". I have already been warning my customers that they are looking at 185 -> 200 for wood, and it will likely go higher once I see the loads of logs roll in.

if it is gonna cost darn near 100 clams for a cord of logs in the yard, then I don't have a choice!

This is going to be a sellers market here this year. Huge demand, and not much supply. The next thing I did was to whip out the calculator, and poked a few numbers after looking things up. Am I correct to figure that a cord of dry wood (pine) would be about equal to 200 gallons of propane? Am I way off the mark there. according to the BTU content, it is. Now, the local price of propane at the moment is about $2 a gallon. "heat" costs $400. Wood "heat" costs $200, fair enough?? correct me if I am wrong and slipped a digit somewhere.

91,502 btu gallon of propane
18,720,000 btu cord of pine.

gonna be a fun year.

does your propane go up a lot in the winter? That should help

Man, 200 for pine, I could clean up! Pine is given away here. I personally like it, in fact, I was stacking some up tonight, pine knots and uglies, for my own use.

I had to touch it, so into the stacks it goes!

propane is 2.79 gallon here and a rick of seasoned oak is 60$ or a rick of mixed seasoned hardwoods is 40$ pine well.... you can't give it away here lol.
cheap huh?

does your propane go up a lot in the winter? That should help

Man, 200 for pine, I could clean up! Pine is given away here. I personally like it, in fact, I was stacking some up tonight, pine knots and uglies, for my own use.

I had to touch it, so into the stacks it goes!
No doubt Zogger: "If I Touch it---I Must burn it" Rule!

Oh, yea. propane is gonna go up this winter. I'll bet on it.
I gonna play some factual tactics to explain to these people who have not thought it all out. This year has been a rough one on the equipment. front yoke fell off of what remains of the 205 in the small dumptruck. I am down to a 2 wheel truck with a rag keeping dirt out. I have another TC, and will have to put it in there. The deuce is going to need a front tire, $250 ish... but the best part is that I cooked the auto tranny in the diesel. And one of the saws siezed. I might pick the loudest bellyacher and phone them up on delivery day when they outta wood.... "hey man, you got any cables? The battery is bad and it won't start" o_O. I might all be fine in the end anyway...

So far I'm holding at $100 for 0.5 Cord of mixed hard woods (20,000 BTU/cord and up), but that may go up next season depending on what this season brings to the fuels markets.

gasoline prices have held since mid march here i ordered 150 gallons of ethanol free 90 octane for 3.77 per gallon.

I burn mostly pine in my outdoor boiler. My math indicates that a full cord (4x4x8) of red pine is roughly equal to 200 gallons of propane. I think the pile of firewood has significantly more energy than the LPG, but the lpg boiler is much more efficient than the outdoor boiler. Taking into account the overall efficiency of each heating appliance each cord of wood i burn saves me about 200 gallons of LPG.

Well, the price of wood around here is going to go "thru the roof". I have already been warning my customers that they are looking at 185 -> 200 for wood, and it will likely go higher once I see the loads of logs roll in.

if it is gonna cost darn near 100 clams for a cord of logs in the yard, then I don't have a choice!

This is going to be a sellers market here this year. Huge demand, and not much supply. The next thing I did was to whip out the calculator, and poked a few numbers after looking things up. Am I correct to figure that a cord of dry wood (pine) would be about equal to 200 gallons of propane? Am I way off the mark there. according to the BTU content, it is. Now, the local price of propane at the moment is about $2 a gallon. "heat" costs $400. Wood "heat" costs $200, fair enough?? correct me if I am wrong and slipped a digit somewhere.

91,502 btu gallon of propane
18,720,000 btu cord of pine.

gonna be a fun year.

Where are you in Colorado? I am in montrose.

propane is 2.79 gallon here and a rick of seasoned oak is 60$ or a rick of mixed seasoned hardwoods is 40$ pine well.... you can't give it away here lol.
cheap huh?

Last winter polar vortex I had no complaints when I threw some pine splits on top of the hickory and oak loads going out. I think running out and sticker shock on propane helped make some folks see the light on wood is wood when you are cold and got a hungry stove. There was a couple weeks there, you couldn't even get propane, and all the regular wood sellers just had green wood.

I just paid $500 for a load of oak logs about10 cords worth, personal supply.
That sounds like a solid good deal if it's actually 10 cords. It could easily be double that some places!

Have not even had a chance to measure it, even if it comes out to 8 or 9 cords it is a deal I thought.

I just paid $500 for a load of oak logs about10 cords worth, personal supply.

Are you talking face cords or full cords? Cause if its full cords you got the DEAL of the century!
Around here you can get a dump truck load which amounts to about a little over 3 full cords for about $400. A full log truck is now going for $900, which is about 7 full cords.
That is of course if you can get it. Definite shortage around here. I finally got a full load delivered a couple of weeks ago after waiting since March. Last couple of years I been scrounging from my woods, wanted to get further ahead so I wanted to get a full load. 2 neighbors have stopped by so far and asked where I got them, because their regular log guys told them they wont have anything for them for about 3 months.
Its all maple & beech.

Attachments

• 1Logs2014.JPG
    1Logs2014.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 13
Are you talking face cords or full cords? Cause if its full cords you got the DEAL of the century!
Around here you can get a dump truck load which amounts to about a little over 3 full cords for about $400. A full log truck is now going for $900, which is about 7 full cords.
That is of course if you can get it. Definite shortage around here. I finally got a full load delivered a couple of weeks ago after waiting since March. Last couple of years I been scrounging from my woods, wanted to get further ahead so I wanted to get a full load. 2 neighbors have stopped by so far and asked where I got them, because their regular log guys told them they wont have anything for them for about 3 months.
Its all maple & beech.

Man, it's July! Your neighbors will basically have no wood to burn, even if they get a delivery.

Back