What is a good cleaning solution to use in an Ultra Sonic Cleaner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flammable material in a US is not a good idea. 40:1 simple green is a good mix. You don't need much.

Mean Green 5 Dollar a gallon at the Dollar Store works great and will only slightly etch the alum but makes cyl like new appearance in no time !

Simple green ftw. I tried carb cleaner one time and let's say that I don't have that US anymore. It's amazing how well the US works.

I ordered a gal. of Simple Green Extreme, now if you don't want a lot of the cleaner you can also buy Extreme Simple Green Motorsports, it is the same thing only cut 1:4 and sold in 32oz. bottles. I will be trying this out with a Ultrasonic cleaner. This is from Simple Green on dilution ratio, temperature and the use in Ultrasonic cleaners:

sgpdf.jpg

Pinesol is great for removing tough varnish in carbs. It's pretty aggressive, though. I once made the mistake of putting carb end covers in the basket with the carb body and it messed up the plating. When in doubt, I use
Dawn and water.

I only use about 20% Pinesol w/ 80% water.
Crank it to about 50-55 degrees Celsius

Dawn dish soap wasn’t working for crap. It’s okay for cleaning plastics.

I use dawn for plastics, general cleaning.

For heavy degreasing, Purple Power or Simple Green (whichever was on sale). +1 on being careful ‘cause they’ll dull plastics.

For carbs, I put them in a jelly jar filled w/ Marvel mystery oil (which I reuse). MMO is mostly petroleum detergents, has worked well so far. I have a can of sea foam to try in the same way when the MMO gets too dark for my taste.

I use dawn for plastics, general cleaning.

For heavy degreasing, Purple Power or Simple Green (whichever was on sale). +1 on being careful ‘cause they’ll dull plastics.

For carbs, I put them in a jelly jar filled w/ Marvel mystery oil (which I reuse). MMO is mostly petroleum detergents, has worked well so far. I have a can of sea foam to try in the same way when the MMO gets too dark for my taste.

I have tried Seafoam as well when just soaking them, years ago I had bought my wife a jewelry cleaner. It acts a lot like a sonic cleaner but it only oscillates back and forth. I take a dixie cup and fill it with Seafoam, then put the carb/pieces in the seafoam and place it in that cleaner and it does a pretty decent job.

Sorry—I should have been more specific... I use those combinations in my US Cleaner. I do the “carb in a jar” thing because I like to use petroleum products to clean petroleum residue, but I don’t want to buy a gallon, and I don’t want to have to clean the entire cleaner after use. Using water+whatever when I’m using the whole tank (cylinder, plastics, etc) makes for easy clean up. When I do the jar of Marvel, I set the jar in a water-filled US cleaner.

Sorry—I should have been more specific... I use those combinations in my US Cleaner. I do the “carb in a jar” thing because I like to use petroleum products to clean petroleum residue, but I don’t want to buy a gallon, and I don’t want to have to clean the entire cleaner after use. Using water+whatever when I’m using the whole tank (cylinder, plastics, etc) makes for easy clean up. When I do the jar of Marvel, I set the jar in a water-filled US cleaner.

Interesting and practical. Anyone know if the ultrasound is as effective after traveling through glass and a second interface with the solvent?

Interesting and practical. Anyone know if the ultrasound is as effective after traveling through glass and a second interface with the solvent?

My understanding is it isn't as effective. Also make sure never to place anything on the bottom of the pan when you place stuff in US. Always use basket to suspend it. Placing objects on the bottom of the pan will cause cracks to form, plus the item gets better cleaning if suspended according to several US manufacturers

I can still see stuff come out of the orifices in the jar. And can see any dirt/particles dance in the bottom of the jar. Works for me.

LOL, I agree it still works just not as effective is all. I ordered some tea infusers for putting small parts in and I am sure the perforation will affect its ability to clean but I know it will get the job done. :dancing:

Latest posts

Back