Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning Kenneth, John, Carl
Glad I don't have to get up as early as you two
day after day:):):)
Morning, Kenneth, Stephen, Chad, Dan, and all you fellas I've not yet met. I was off of here for a few years. I met Kenneth at a gtg I hosted to make cookies for a hippy farmer friend to make a biodegradable "road" on her place. Good friendships form when people get together to help others.
This pic is from the first gtg from which this thread emerged. Note the high quality of the saws pictured, the superior orange and white is stihl a popular choice among those in the know. Some of you guys may remember the event that led to the little "hotsaw" pic in my sig.... (same saw I cut my wedding cake with)first AR gtg.jpg

I will post more pics of the people, they are what really counts, although the machinery is pretty darn cool.

There are fewer and fewer of the "Old School" shops around. If you go to some of the newer shops to get a chain you need the brand, model, color, series, serial number, number of times the saw is used in a month and a permission slip. When you say "It's a 72 dl, .050 with .325 pitch and I want full chisel" they sort of look at you like you just spoke Swahili.

Yeah, a lot of them don't even have the capability to break and rivet chain. I'm admittedly not the most educated on chain types, sizes, etc., but I know gauge, pitch, how to sharpen, etc. I went to one shop and I could hear them burning the hell out of somebody's poor chain. No breaks between grinding, just pulling down as fast and hard as possible from what I could tell. I was just thinking, "That's gonna be back soon (probably with a broken tooth or two and possibly burnt cylinder from trying to cut with a dull chain)". There's still a few good shops around, but fewer and fewer. That's a conversation that could last for days/years on end, lol.

Holy cow..................

'Bout time to give you a check ride with my Iphone 4 and its picture taking capabilities. Barb is sick in bed and I have two grandkids to watch.

Not going anywhere today.

Years ago when I worked crime scenes we would call back to the office and get someone to bring us the "good" 35 mm (actual film) camera and the "good" (VHS) camcorder to document the scene. If it was not too serious we used the Polaroid One Step (the one that shot the picture out when you took it). That was in the mid 90's. Now I just pull out the iPhone 4 (standard issue at our department) and make videos, pictures and use an app to create a crime scene diagram in about 15 minutes. I get back to the office and it all prints out in a few minutes. What used to take 5 or 6 hours then takes only a few minutes now and looks 10 times better. If it's a really serious crime now we still get the 35 mm (digital) and the tripod to take quality and comparison photos but otherwise just use the iPhone.

I can't tell you how critical a smart phone is when used to track criminals. I've used a forensic search of a suspect's phone to not only secure the conviction I was going for, but also finding a dozen or so crimes we weren't aware of because the idiot took pictures or made a video with his smart phone. Technology is advanced way beyond my ability to keep up with it. When I talk about an actual 35 mm camera the younger guys look at me and say "Film? You actually used FILM in a camera? Wow! I've heard of those!"

Sorry about Barb. Enjoy the grandkids!!

Morning, Kenneth, Stephen, Chad, Dan, and all you fellas I've not yet met. I was off of here for a few years. I met Kenneth at a gtg I hosted to make cookies for a hippy farmer friend to make a biodegradable "road" on her place. Good friendships form when people get together to help others.
This pic is from the first gtg from which this thread emerged. Note the high quality of the saws pictured, the superior orange and white is stihl a popular choice among those in the know. Some of you guys may remember the event that led to the little "hotsaw" pic in my sig.... (same saw I cut my wedding cake with)View attachment 359540

I will post more pics of the people, they are what really counts, although the machinery is pretty darn cool.

Do you ever hear from Bruce.

I've been upgraded to an Iphone 5 by the daughter leaving the 4 as surplus. Now I can call Jim or Cobey by just holding down the round button and saying 'Call Jim' or 'Call Cobey'.

I would like an 'app' that would 'Find chainsaws'. LOL

Although my old phone isn't 'connected' anymore it is still good to take excellent pictures and edit them to boot. Also good to go for dialing '911'.

Years ago when I worked crime scenes we would call back to the office and get someone to bring us the "good" 35 mm (actual film) camera and the "good" (VHS) camcorder to document the scene. If it was not too serious we used the Polaroid One Step (the one that shot the picture out when you took it). That was in the mid 90's. Now I just pull out the iPhone 4 (standard issue at our department) and make videos, pictures and use an app to create a crime scene diagram in about 15 minutes. I get back to the office and it all prints out in a few minutes. What used to take 5 or 6 hours then takes only a few minutes now and looks 10 times better. If it's a really serious crime now we still get the 35 mm (digital) and the tripod to take quality and comparison photos but otherwise just use the iPhone.

I can't tell you how critical a smart phone is when used to track criminals. I've used a forensic search of a suspect's phone to not only secure the conviction I was going for, but also finding a dozen or so crimes we weren't aware of because the idiot took pictures or made a video with his smart phone. Technology is advanced way beyond my ability to keep up with it. When I talk about an actual 35 mm camera the younger guys look at me and say "Film? You actually used FILM in a camera? Wow! I've heard of those!"

Sorry about Barb. Enjoy the grandkids!!

Smart phone apps are pretty handy.

The handiest one for work lets me locate a vehicle in our inventory as a pinpoint on a satellite map that's accurate to 1 meter. Saves a lot of footwork on a lot with around 1500 vehicles on it. It also tells you the battery voltage so you know if it needs a jump start before you go all the way out there and find out that the battery is low.

Smart phone apps are pretty handy.

The handiest one for work lets me locate a vehicle in our inventory as a pinpoint on a satellite map that's accurate to 1 meter. Saves a lot of footwork on a lot with around 1500 vehicles on it. It also tells you the battery voltage so you know if it needs a jump start before you go all the way out there and find out that the battery is low.

That battery voltage thing would be absolutely fantastic! Once again, someone smarter than me ... :confused:

P/C seem to be in good shape on the Poulan 3300. Compression was a little over 160 psi. The clutch is toast, no chain tensioner and I'm still trying to dig out the red RTV.

Hey Mark, I think I've got a clutch for your 3300. At least it was in a box of other 3300 parts. You know my organization skills, sketchy at best. :confused:

Hey Mark, I think I've got a clutch for your 3300. At least it was in a box of other 3300 parts. You know my organization skills, sketchy at best. :confused:

Hmmmm. You haven't seen my basement, have you? At least in your garage you had a path...

It's going to need the clutch, sprocket, both washers, sprocket bearing, and all the a/v mounts for sure. I put it in a box on the shelf for now. Too many other "Priority" projects to keep me busy for now. If you still have it in September maybe we can work out a deal. ;)

Just got back from selling the 024 I put together. It was one I put together for a friend and he didn't end up needing it, so my wife posted it on the swap shop and got rid of it for me. Now I have cash for other projects! Still have an 028 to get rid of, but I may wait to make sure I can't get a chain brake for it. Just trying to make room for upcoming projects.

Good morning guys. on second cup
smileys-coffee-810335.gif
smileys-coffee-810335.gif

Back