ms180c....to fix or not to fix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapeer20m

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
the circumstances are not important, but i loaned my ms180c out to a relative who accidentally ran straight gas in it.

the cylinder and piston are scored and it is really hard to start.

I can get a new cylinder, piston, rings, circlips, and rings for about $30.00 on amazon. Should i do it? or is it likely that the rod and crank are also damaged? In all the years i've been using 2 stroke equipment i've never had this problem.

I burn about 10 cord of wood a year, most of which i process with a bigger stihl. I bought this ms180 around Christmas time, and i absolutely love it! It's less than half the weight of my big saw and it's great for limbing and cutting smaller trees.

I bought a new take off CYLINDER/ crank and piston on ebay and fixed mine for $125.00
Been running strong for 3 years.

"sabre owners united!"

turbs

Is this relative willing to take care of their mistake?

Yes. They feel really bad and offered to buy me a new saw. I am not going to allow them to because they are old and on a fixed income and this sort of expenditure would be quite a hardship.

If I work a few hours of overtime it will pay for a new saw.

They are cheap saws to buy, no reason to make a family member suffer because of a mistake or accident.

I love the 170 that I just got running. I had intended to flip it, but I'll probably hold onto it.

I really want to find a nice 180 and put a adjustable carb in it and give it a MM.

Easy to start small saws are nice. Repair and enjoy.

I wish the manufacturers of gas cans would settle on a universal two stroke mixed gas can color, something like red for gas and a black stripe to indicate it needs to be mixed with oil. Would help avoid confusion.

Just ordered the parts. $29 with free shipping. It is a reasonable risk. I am a realatively poor engine mechanic and have never rebuilt a chainsaw before.

What are the chances i will also need a rod/crank?

Just ordered the parts. $29 with free shipping. It is a reasonable risk. I am a realatively poor engine mechanic and have never rebuilt a chainsaw before.

What are the chances i will also need a rod/crank?

Highly unlikely.

You very well might only need a piston and rings.

With the muffler off I can see that the cylinder is scored/scratched. It was only about $10 more for a cylinder than just the piston and rings.

I'll be pretty excited when/if she runs again.

I'm about to loan my Super Splitter to a buddy while I'm on vacation. Fortunately it runs straight gas anyway, but I'm giving him a 5 gal container of high-octane gas to use just in case. I don't want no junk running through there. I hope I don't regret this, but he's a fairly responsible guy so all should be well.

I'm about to loan my Super Splitter to a buddy while I'm on vacation. Fortunately it runs straight gas anyway, but I'm giving him a 5 gal container of high-octane gas to use just in case. I don't want no junk running through there. I hope I don't regret this, but he's a fairly responsible guy so all should be well.

Proly be OK..as long as his last name isn't Taylor and he doesn't have an extra Harley engine kicking around in the garage...

I'm one that usually has no issues loaning out my tools or equipment.

But, every person who would come to me and ask me to borrow my stuff is responsible, and I know that without a doubt would want to make it right.
But, if something unforeseen was to happen to a piece of my equipment, I wouldn't hold any of my fiends or family accountable.

After all, it's only a piece of equipment and can be re-purchased. A friendship can't be.

I loan tools to friends often. I don't generally have problems or expect
They will fix things that break, with one exception:

The backhoe is old and I explain to friends before they borrow it that if a hydraulic hose breaks, or some other rather inexpensive part breaks or is damaged that they are responsible for fixing it. A new hydraulic hose is much cheaper than renting a new machine.

good little saws for light trimming love mine even though mine is a ms 171 with flippy caps and adjustable carb.
fixit man!

I bought a new take off CYLINDER/ crank and piston on ebay and fixed mine for $125.00
Been running strong for 3 years.

"sabre owners united!"

turbs
They aren't much more than that new are they?

I'd say that $30 is worth the risk on that saw. I would buy a better kit if it was a more expensive saw.

Back