4wd Tractor advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So this isn't completely firewood related, but I know a lot of y'all have tractors and are in the know so I'm looking for some advice.

Thinking about getting 1st tractor for the homestead and trying to narrow down the search and see if what we want/think we need is realistic with our budget. Also looking for experience/recommendations for certain models. I have operated tractors (and do so currently on a limited basis for part of my work) in a limited capacity, but never come close to owning one and really don't have a solid grasp on all the makes and models and what's worth what yet.

Uses/implements I can see a need for our potential tractor: * for ones that would be immediate uses
*Breaking ground for gardening, plow, disc, auger capacity, etc
*Bush hog
-Mow flat sections of yard (finish mow) - not critical bc I know this can tear up the yard if it's wet or you're not careful
*FEL for so many things…can't even list all the times I've wished I had a loader here for something. Bucket would be great, but really need pallet forks at least. Lifting needs include firewood baskets, logs, timbers, hog slaughtering, compost, etc. My baskets are between 1/3 and 1/2 cord each so lets say at least 2000 #.
-Light duty log skidding, but don't have much big timber on our property.

Most of property can be quite steep and definitely can be wet so 4wd is a must. FEL is a must. Roll bar/canopy is also big on the priority list. Will likely fill the rear tires with anti-freeze/whatever else is a good idea to add to the counterweight for FEL. Diesel is a must in my opinion. Big fan of the Perkins 3 cyl. My co-worker has a MF 253 (4wd w/ FEL) that I operate on a regular basis that I really like, but I feel like it's a little bigger than we need on our property and likely out of budget. Really love that Perkins, though. Sips the fuel most of the time. We only have about 4 acres currently, but have big plans underway concerning homesteading and small scale farming. There is also the potential to acquire adjacent property with more pasture/timber access down the road.

Budget is under $10k….with FEL and 4wd. Am I dreaming trying to get all this at this price? Would rather have something older, solid, and a bit weighty (4000# or so +) than a compact that I can't do half of what I will really need to.

Having a hard time finding older, farm style tractors in 4wd. Seems like MF 240 could be a good choice on paper, but really don't know. Case IH 485, Ford/NH 2120? Not even sure how much engine hp/PTO hp I really need for some of this stuff. I think weight and counterweight potential will be a big concern with the pallet fork lifting.

Thoughts, advice, warnings? Thanks!

Philbo,
Sounds like you have thought this through pretty well. Some thoughts...
I believe you can find something in your price range. I like older tractors, I believe they built them to last. MF makes a solid tractor, has great part support and it saves $$ when they aren't overly thirsty beasts, sounds like you like that MF 253. I would focus looking at what dealers/brands are your local farmers using. They know what works and if you nred support, you can get it locally. Seems you need something in the 35-45hp range, especially with possible new property. I agree, in your situation, you wont be happy with a smaller machine. You can always find used implements, craigslist, auction etc. I own a few older tractors, none made with 4wd, I have found that tire chains keep me from getting stuck, i run them pretty much all yea, great for traction on hills. There are some great websites out there that discuss older tractors, a great deal of information out there. Definitely make the loader a must have.

MFWD is really going to drive the cost up. 2000lbs front lift in a compact tractor is another price killer for your budget in a mfwd unit. A regular 2wd farm tractor wide front 50 hp or better or an industrial unit might fit budget wise ( 2k front lift is a lot of umpf). Those front axles are not all that strong - Tractors are pulling machines so the heavy weight guts are all in the back.

Most of what I know about equipment and tractors, etc is from working on this farm. In general, whatever size you think you need, one step bigger is better, and never overload/over work stuff. Repairs are hard and costly. Ain't nuthin cheap about anything with big equipment.

Make sure to get a tractor that is suited to the most important things you intend to do with it. The task that is your income producer or the one for which you spend the most hours on it should have high priority.

For instance, the size of your fields will determine the size of cutter (bush hog, finisher, etc.) you want to run. The tractor needs to have a rear PTO with enough hp to run that implement.

Firewood production/handling is a low priority for most farmers, so they tailor their firewood habits to the equipment they happen to have for other purposes.

So this isn't completely firewood related, but I know a lot of y'all have tractors and are in the know so I'm looking for some advice.

Thinking about getting 1st tractor for the homestead and trying to narrow down the search and see if what we want/think we need is realistic with our budget. Also looking for experience/recommendations for certain models. I have operated tractors (and do so currently on a limited basis for part of my work) in a limited capacity, but never come close to owning one and really don't have a solid grasp on all the makes and models and what's worth what yet.

Uses/implements I can see a need for our potential tractor: * for ones that would be immediate uses
*Breaking ground for gardening, plow, disc, auger capacity, etc
*Bush hog
-Mow flat sections of yard (finish mow) - not critical bc I know this can tear up the yard if it's wet or you're not careful
*FEL for so many things…can't even list all the times I've wished I had a loader here for something. Bucket would be great, but really need pallet forks at least. Lifting needs include firewood baskets, logs, timbers, hog slaughtering, compost, etc. My baskets are between 1/3 and 1/2 cord each so lets say at least 2000 #.
-Light duty log skidding, but don't have much big timber on our property.

Most of property can be quite steep and definitely can be wet so 4wd is a must. FEL is a must. Roll bar/canopy is also big on the priority list. Will likely fill the rear tires with anti-freeze/whatever else is a good idea to add to the counterweight for FEL. Diesel is a must in my opinion. Big fan of the Perkins 3 cyl. My co-worker has a MF 253 (4wd w/ FEL) that I operate on a regular basis that I really like, but I feel like it's a little bigger than we need on our property and likely out of budget. Really love that Perkins, though. Sips the fuel most of the time. We only have about 4 acres currently, but have big plans underway concerning homesteading and small scale farming. There is also the potential to acquire adjacent property with more pasture/timber access down the road.

Budget is under $10k….with FEL and 4wd. Am I dreaming trying to get all this at this price? Would rather have something older, solid, and a bit weighty (4000# or so +) than a compact that I can't do half of what I will really need to.

Having a hard time finding older, farm style tractors in 4wd. Seems like MF 240 could be a good choice on paper, but really don't know. Case IH 485, Ford/NH 2120? Not even sure how much engine hp/PTO hp I really need for some of this stuff. I think weight and counterweight potential will be a big concern with the pallet fork lifting.

Thoughts, advice, warnings? Thanks!

Your looking at some money BUT a tracked ASV may be the best fit for
what you want simply becuause:

the ASV has

1. track drive
2.high floatation(low ground pressure)wide tracks
3. water cooled diesel engine
4 fully enclosed operators cab
5. multiple quick attach implement capable
AND a low center of gravity which is a must on hilly terrain

Buying a used ASV will give you a machine that is capable and has proven track record.

Thanks for replies fellas. Tracked ASV would be ideal for most of things on my list, but don't think you can attach 3pt hitch type farm implements on them. Plus too much $ for our budget. My brother has a Bobcat T200 that he picked up for around $9k but it needed a bit of work and he's a well-trained mechanic. He really loves it, though for landscaping type work. I feel like I'd be up sh*t creek if something major broke on one of those things. Of course, the same could said for a 4wd tractor, but i feel like the ASVs just have more complicated moving parts and you probably have to rebuild the under-carriage at some point, right?

Anyway, kinda seems like our budget may be a bit thin for what we want, but there's maybe still hope. I'd really love to hear some specific models that folks use or have used that work for them in similar situations.

I realize that lots of folks who probably don't live in steep mountains will say you don't need 4wd on a tractor, but I wouldn't be able to get to 1/2 of my property without it and would sure be wanting it when it gets muddy around here so that's a must-have.

Thanks for any advice!

MFWD is really going to drive the cost up. 2000lbs front lift in a compact tractor is another price killer for your budget in a mfwd unit. A regular 2wd farm tractor wide front 50 hp or better or an industrial unit might fit budget wise ( 2k front lift is a lot of umpf). Those front axles are not all that strong - Tractors are pulling machines so the heavy weight guts are all in the back.

Yep... 4wd and 2000 lb FEL lift is not going to be cheap. I guess if a guy looks long enough a deal could be found...

I need 4wd (MFWD) here and use a Kubota L3800DT. Couldn't be happier with it. 400 acres, logging, mowing, firewood, road work.

Lift your 2k with forks on the 3pt rather than trying to upsize the tractor to get 2k lift in the front. I have done much of the same tasks your looking to do (except hills) with a 23hp, 2WD Ford 1600. Max loader capacity on my tractor is about 900lbs, 2cyl. diesel sips fuel with the best of them.
4WD and power steering would definately be nice but she seems to get the job done and my wallet full.

I have a MF 1230, with fel ( can do about 700 lbs) MFWD . 3point , 540 pto in back, 1000 pto mid, 2 sets of remote hydros. 60" belly deck, 3 cylinder diesel around 25 hp at the 540 pto. joy stick on fel, Curtis cab w/heat, 3 range hydro tranny, locking differential . What it doesn't have is a quick tac on the bucket, but that can be corrected with green stamps. Birth date 1998. 10 g's to my door. Dang, forgot the cruise control. Was looking at new, all most as bad as truck shopping. Used market on these compacts worse than the automotive side. Put on a lease to own, allows me to write it off with out the concerns of bottom line or percentages and conserve ready cash. ( well theoretically anyway)

grapple2.jpg 4in1 Bucket.jpg 3rd Load.jpg Splitting Tools.jpg Land Plane.jpg Unloading.jpg

I have a 07 kubota that is 24 HP. This thing has done everything I have asked of it and more. I have a FEL bucket, 5' 4in1 Bucket, 48"Front Grapple, 6 1/2' Power angle snow plow, Farmi skidding winch, 5' land plane, 5' rear snow blower, and a 7' backhoe. Because of its size, I can get into a lot of places others cannot. Even with the backhoe on, I have no issues driving across septic systems because the weight footprint is small. She is also great on fuel. I have gotten several small job with it because I could get into an area that the bigger tractors couldn't fit or were too heavy. Here are a few pics of her in action

I live here in WNC. I do a lot of firewood on old, steep skidder roads. We have a JD 4610( I believe) with a 460 FEL. Horsepower is in the upper 30s, 4wd. Works fine for most things, but I don't think it has a ton lift up front. I'll try to attach some pics.

2010-08-13 11.54.09.JPG
2012-08-18_13-51-01_900.JPG
IMG_20110603_191842.JPG IMG_20110611_114821.JPG

I know it's only firewood, but the pics show that it has the capacity to work.

Shea

I really like the case 480F LL. One in my area recently sold for $10k and I kinda kick myself for not buying it. But, I already have a SCUT that will haul all of the firewood I need, but I'm not a commercial operation, and it was about double your budget.
qu2yzamy.jpg

jy9a4a2u.jpg

y3u9ebyq.jpg

va2yne5a.jpg

Philbo, as you can see from the various pics from myself and others, I would not disount the CUT tractors. You may need to cut you weight limit down for lifting with the FEL, but they can really do a ton of work (no pun intended). My tires are loaded and I had the dealer bump up the pressure relief valve (but still within factory specs) which gained me 400 lbs of FEL lifting power. You will want to make sure you have something on the 3pt for counterweight, not just the loaded tires you mentioned.

I have 40 acres and all of it is on a hilll. My driveway has a 10% grade and is just about a 1/2 mile long. the 4wd for plowing & blowing is a must along with chains. All of my logging is done on the hilll which is always "fun". I would love to skid some logs on a flat piece of land sometime.

I have seen 30 hp CUT on craigs list for the price range you are looking at so it is doable if you are patient enough to look around.

XSkier,
I like your idea for moving the firewood rounds. I have been looking for something bigger than what I can fit in my bucket for splitting. I will try to pick one of those up around here.

Back