Loaning Tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppkgmsy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Reading another thread got me to thinking: Do you guys loan your tools?

I always loan tools to good friends. Hand tools, power tools, even my car. If I'm not using it and you need it, it's yours. As long as I know you have the skills and integrity to treat it right. That's what friends are for. The only exceptions being my chainsaw, which I seldom loan, and my work/plow/firewood truck, which I never loan.

I used to be similar. My shop door seemed like it was never locked, just leave me a note on the chalk board with what you took and when it was coming back(before cell phones). I had a coffee can that was right next to the chalk board that was for beer money for the loan. Well wouldn't you know it, someone ruined it for everyone and now I don't loan anything to anyone! You need something, I have the tools and I come with the tools and you pay me, no exceptions!

Simple answer no, and especially chainsaws. People should not be using a chainsaw unless they own and wear PPE, and if they have that, they have their own chainsaw.

They have rental places with insurance, loan a tool, any tool, they get hurt...you'll find, or maybe find out that medical bills in the thousands get you involved with lawyers.

Yes but very picky who can borrow if its something that can be damaged.

When people bring stuff back visibly broken or not functioning and don't offer to repair that tends to raise my blood pressure.

I've got four criteria and at least one must be met to borrow.

1) You are in the inner circle of friends
2) I trust that you know how to use and won't abuse the tool
3) I trust that if you break it, you are able and willing to fix it.
4) I trust the person and they are in a bind and have no other resources on which to draw from.

When I was a very young man, no more than about 18, I was taught a lesson about this.

I had got in the habit of borrowing things from my neighbor across the street, and I was not as careful as I should have been with them. So one day I called him up - "Allen, can I borrow your thus-and-so?" "Well, no. You can't." I was not expecting this response, and I asked exactly the question he was waiting for: "Why not?" "Because every time I lend you something it comes back in bad shape. You blunted my drill bits, you bent my floor jack, and I don't think I ever got my hacksaw back at all. The things you don't break or lose come back covered with dirt and grease. So no, you can't borrow it, or anything else. Don't ask again." I stammered out some apology and we hung up.

He was absolutely right, too. I'd been completely inconsiderate. I was deeply embarrassed and resolved to change. From then on I never borrowed anything from anyone unless I could return it in good shape and maybe cleaner than when I took it. Mostly I stopped borrowing completely and bought my own stuff, and learned to take good care of it. Decades later I tracked him down, called him, and thanked him for the life lesson.

The one time in my later life that I lent a significant quantity of tools to anyone, it was to my then-girlfriend's son-in-law to do some remodeling on her house. A lot of the stuff got trashed and some of it got "lost," and I was reminded of being that guy all those years ago. Fortunately most people I know have their own tools and don't need to borrow mine, so I'm not in that position often.

I am a young guy by most of the comparison on here I just turned 35 last week yeah me. I do NOT loan anything to anyone period. There is only one person I lend anything to and that's a close friend the kind I call at 3 am stammering slobbering drunk tell him to mortgage the house and come get me. I know for a fact he would, and be there no questions asked as I would for him, and have in the past. We all have 1 friend in the world that when we need something, like bring: lawyers, guns or money and they are going to be there no matter the time or cause they are there. Absoultly not I bought almost all of my stuff when it was food or tool payment and for a long time I was skinny not so much any more, but I have earned it.

We all have 1 friend in the world that when we need something, like bring: lawyers, guns or money...
Yeah ‼ Those are the couple guys I was talkin' 'bout ‼
And those are the guys that tend to respect your stuff more than their own stuff ‼
And no one "keeps score"... 'cause there flat ain't any need ‼

Trusted family and a few select friends - yes, in a heartbeat. The shirt off of my back if you need it.

Everyone else - Sears/Lowe's/TSC/you get the point is right up the road...

Well, yes & no, mostly no. I have lent tools to my son, hasn't broken anything yet. I got a beater chainsaw with a bunch of chains that probably only got a little life left on them, in case the neighbor or BIL come a-knocking. The other 3 saws are off limits. Over the years a couple of friends have wanted to borrow the splitter. That's a big no-go. I heat with wood, and cut-split-stack for my winter comfort. The last thing I want is excess mileage on it, and nobody ever seems to be around when its time to buy fluid, filter, etc.

Shakespear- "Neither a borrower nor lender be"
I'll borrow out anything I have assuming the friend I lend to knows how to use it; AND!!!!! I'm willing to loose it forever.

Shakespear- "Neither a borrower nor lender be"
I'll borrow out anything I have assuming the friend I lend to knows how to use it; AND!!!!! I'm willing to loose it forever.
"I'm willing to loose it forever."

That's how I feel about loaning money.

I will loan out about anything, but nothing that is two stroke or my truck unless I am there.

I've got 5 brothers and only one I will lend tools to. And as far as my chainsaws, I don't care if it is God himself knocking on my door the answer is NO.

Back