Round Up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've heard some of you say that you cut Round Up with water and it still works? What ratio do you use?

I've got about a half gallon in one of their jugs with the hose and pump sprayer. Need to kill some moss and grass.

I've heard some of you say that you cut Round Up with water and it still works? What ratio do you use?

I've got about a half gallon in one of their jugs with the hose and pump sprayer. Need to kill some moss and grass.

If it is in a pump and spray jug it is already cut. The active ingredient is glyphosate and can be bought at 41% it is much cheaper. I get here at Farm and Fleet or Big R. The 41% can than be cut. We use 50/50 to sray trees when we ring them. The weeds in the woods is 1qt. of glyphosate to 3qt. water. Around the house I mix 4 oz. per gallon.

Like HD2010 said, if it's in one of those pump 'n' spray jugs, it's been pre-mixed... or pre-deluded (and that's the most expensive way to buy it).
I buy a quart of "Super Concentrate" (purple lid) at the fleet store every spring when it goes on sale for something under $40.oo... a quart lasts all season for my purposes. I don't believe I've even started the string trimmer this year.

Like HD2010 said, if it's in one of those pump 'n' spray jugs, it's been pre-mixed... or pre-deluded (and that's the most expensive way to buy it).
I buy a quart of "Super Concentrate" (purple lid) at the fleet store every spring when it goes on sale for something under $40.oo... a quart lasts all season for my purposes. I don't believe I've even started the string trimmer this year.

If you by the Glyphosate 41% you can save some money. A quart of the 50% Glyphosate (Round Up) is $46 and a gallon of the 41% Glyphosate (Pronto Big N Tuff) is $35 here at Farm and Fleet. My partner buys 20-30 gallons a year so it's a pretty good savings.

We buy the stuff in 500 gallon totes at a time.

In my sprayer around the house I put maybe a pint (two glugs out of a 2 1/2 gallon jug) in my hand sprayer. (Not sure how big it is)

Round up is cheap.

I have a chemical applicators license for lawn care and fruit crops and own a business that applies herbicides and control fertilizers.

Spraying herbicides/pesticides without calibrating equipment, and violating label directions is not only irresponsible, it is illegal.

I use generic Glyphosate 41% bought at Tractor Supply. It has a surfactifant added in the mixture but I usually add one half ounce of Dawn per gallon of water. The recommended amount of Glyphosate is 3oz. per gallon water on heavy growth and only 1-1/2 oz. per gallon on newer growth. I've been using the lesser amount for several years and it has always gotten rid of anything I have sprayed it on.

The use of a surfactant greatly enhances the effectiveness of herbicides, especially if the target weed has a waxy surface.

I generally use Li-700 which is a non ionic surfactant, acidifier and buffering agent. This combats hydrolysis of some insecticides and fungicides. Highly alkaline water can shorten the half life of some spray mixes to as little as 28 minutes.

Thanks guys, I'll use this up and save the jug for mixing the concentrate later. I ended up getting this one from my mom so the price was right ;)

Spraying herbicides/pesticides without calibrating equipment, and violating label directions is not only irresponsible, it is illegal.

Calibrating Equipment?? Irresponsible?? Illegal?? Heck man, we're talkin' homeowner here.
And I didn't read where anyone was "violating" (really... "violating"?) label directions.
Besides, we're talkin' RoundUp... you can dump that stuff full strength on the ground and there ain't no worries other than dead vegetation.
Sorry if I'm being a PITA... but I really get tired of all the environmental police, safety police, food police, whatnot police crap.
If someone wants to arrest me for mixing my RoundUp a bit on the "strong" side... well... bring it friggin' on‼

I do mine five gallons and a quart or so surfactant to 190 gallons water. Tank holds 200 so there is some slosh factor mixing it going out to spray. Works but slow. If you want fast, to just 100 gallons. Boss pays for it but I know it costs a lot so I don't waste it, usually opt for slow burndown.

Causes rust though, same with 2,4-d stuff, so watch where you spray it! I go real slow and try to be accurate with the wand doing fencelines. Takes me awhile. Doing around and between buildings and the dirt roads at the clucker farm, egads, takes me a couple days. Always all sorts of expensive metal equipment crap in the way.... He had one doofuss was sloppy, rusted out all the bottom metal panels.

You get a bad case of gorilla arm hanging onto a spray wand all day. I stop when my aim gets sloppy. heh Much more fun in the spring when I am on search and destroy for multiflora and whatnot invasive species, privet, and like poison ivy when I can reach it, etc. More or less get to play tank commander in a free fire zone.....

..I crack me up sometimes. Ya gotta have fun where you find it!

I have a chemical applicators license for lawn care and fruit crops and own a business that applies herbicides and control fertilizers.

I watched MoDot spray more Gly (and into a drainage ditch along a rock bluff on the highway) then I've used in over a decade of commercial and residential lawn care. Seriously. I was staggered to consider how much they had used on several miles of that one road. More than I'll EVER use.

Calibrating Equipment?? Irresponsible?? Illegal?? Heck man, we're talkin' homeowner here.
And I didn't read where anyone was "violating" (really... "violating"?) label directions.
Besides, we're talkin' RoundUp... you can dump that stuff full strength on the ground and there ain't no worries other than dead vegetation.
Sorry if I'm being a PITA... but I really get tired of all the environmental police, safety police, food police, whatnot police crap.
If someone wants to arrest me for mixing my RoundUp a bit on the "strong" side... well... bring it friggin' on‼

REALLY? You missed the part where one was using the "Glug" recipe?

Homeowners not following label directions is why we have regs.

Go ahead get really tired of the "police", maybe you'll realize your attitude is why you're in that position. There are people that are much smarter than you, and certainly know more about their product than you ever will, that are trying to make it so you can continue to buy the product in the future for your use. Apparently, you think you know more, and choose to do what ever you want- F- all the rest of the planet, "I'm Spidey, I do what I want?"

So what if others do it, that makes it okay for you to do it? Get over yourself.

The right product at the right dosage,, and properly mixed and applied, and you get results.

:clap::clap::clap:

2 1/2 gallon of generic Glyphosate 41% concentrate from ATWOODS costs between $48 to $54 depending if it's on sale.
Use 2 oz of concentrate per gallon of water can stretch the usage and do a fairly good job on grass and weed kill.
Use 2.7 oz. of concentrate per gallon of water puts the hurt on shrubs, small trees, and other obnoxious plants.
However; to permanently kill these type of plants it usually takes at least 3 sprayings, at one spraying per year.

Did an MRI on a lady who "sales/distributes" this stuff to golf courses and sech, she says mixing it any stronger than labeled is wasting it, as it is formulated to work at specific percentages,,follow the label. My buddy who is the maintenance super at a golf course, he use to mange 6 of 'em, confirmed what she had to say. Hell, they spray it on grain crops, that we eventually consume, and it is some nasty stuff,,hard to believe the "enviro-whackos/police" worry about a homeowner mixxing it a little strong. I give my 2 gal. sprayer a shot and spray the hell outta' anything I can't reach with my mower, never measure the dose, and it works quite effectively, it's a surfactant and non-residual,, my weed whacker is like brand new..

I buy the 170oz. Extended control pump and go and i get the 160oz refill free. Lowes has that sale every spring and it usually lasts me through the season.

Wow who would have thunk that people who have no knowledge of herbicides other than the ability to purchase it RETAIL would know more than the chemical engineers who develop, extensively test and make the product. Mixing glyphosphate substantially stronger than the label suggest does not make it work better it just wastes the product.

But then again this is America and you have the right to be as ignorant as you need to be.

Hardly.

So what if others do it, that makes it okay for you to do it? Get over yourself.
Where, exactly, did I state I didn't follow the label??
The directions on the container show two or three (don't remember exactly now) mix ratios depending on what you're spraying... grass, stout weeds, shrubs, trees, etc. The truth is my container says 2½ oz per gallon of water for "general purpose" grass and weeds. Guess what?? I mix it 2 oz to the gallon, weaker than the "instructions"... 'cause I can get more mileage from the container and it never fails to kill what I spray.

My comments had absolutely nothing to do with what I do... it was a reaction to the "dressing-down" from c5rulz, nothing more.

It's worth stating again... Hardly‼
Regulation (rather than law) is about control and money... get over yourself.

Back