Dirty Hand Tools 22 Ton on sale at Lowes this weekend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just thought we'd let our fellow wood splitters know that Lowes has our 22 Ton DHT splitter on sale for $989 this weekend with fluids! If you are thinking of getting one, now might be a good time. Use their credit card for additional savings.

Cheers,
DHT

There were six DHT 22's spread between five Lowes stores in my area. Now there is one less. My first ever not used, not homemade, not craigslist, but brand new store bought log splitter. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to go fuel it up right now.

I should have waited to buy a splitter. I have a Huskee 22 tn with the briggs I bought last November. Happy with it; it is a great machine no problems, but would love to have a quieter engine, larger gas capacity and faster cycle time that the DHT has.

Used splitters in good shape appear to go for near new prices. Perhaps you could sell yours and then put some cash with it and get the DHT.

Used splitters in good shape appear to go for near new prices. Perhaps you could sell yours and then put some cash with it and get the DHT.

I have considered that. I have seen some pretty rough huskees asking 700-$800. Not sure if I want the bother of selling one and being a couple hundred dollars behind.

I have considered that. I have seen some pretty rough huskees asking 700-$800. Not sure if I want the bother of selling one and being a couple hundred dollars behind.

Well..OK..I see that but, psych it out, just think, you "rented" it last year, got all your wood up. So that cost was covered already. Be about the same cost if you had rented a splitter on several occasions. Then, 200 more for all the features you want.

Not unusual for a box store to decontent something to hit a price point by deleting something like the log trays. (standard on all the Ariens!) Cool that the DHT folks have adjusted their website accordingly. Also cool that they are engaged with end users here on a site like this. And IMO they do it in a classy way focusing on useful info rather than a hard sell.

Don't understand the lack of store inventory for such a decnt unit/good price point though. I have about 10 Ariens in stock just at my own store. My guess, and the DHT guys can confirm this, is that this is kind of a new relationship. And my second guess is that a significant reorder is headed your way this week.

So, now that this is taking off, what kind of service network is in place for DHT? Selecting a name brand engine is a good move, as most shops are set up for Kohler, so that end is covered. (And that's a great motor BTW. We sell a bunch of them as replacement motors. Mostly for splitters too. :) ) But how about the rest of the machine? "Just call the 800 number" is generally not as smooth a process in reality as it sounds in the store. How is DHT handling this?

And that's a great motor BTW. We sell a bunch of them as replacement motors. Mostly for splitters too. :) ) But how about the rest of the machine?

I'm glad to hear that about the motor. I really wanted the Ariens, mostly for the Suby engine, but just picked up the DHT yesterday at Lowes. I like the "beefyness" of the DHT better, but my only concern is that the Courage is Kohler's lower line of engines.

Hey guys thanks for the support and the purchases, we really appreciate it.

Spike let me answer a few of your questions:
- We have our 1800 number on the splitter because we encourage users to call our customer service line first to see if we can walk them through an issue. As you know, log splitters are pretty simple machines, there are not too many things that can go wrong. We would rather solve a problem ourselves than have a user need to take a product to a service center.
- We have an extensive service network, check out our web site, but if you buy through Lowes anything that needs service is required to go through their Altaequip network. So our product is serviced at the same place as a Husqvarna, John Deere or Troy Built would be. That is just the way Lowes handles all power equipment. They are very good at handling Kohler as well.
- Yes, the DHT line is new at Lowes and we were given orders very late in the season. We are basically sending them product as fast as we can make it, that is why the inventory level is low. We hope to be ahead of the game next year. We also hope to place some more products there in the future.
- We are very lucky to have Lowes as a customer. They have been great to work with and very supportive.
- Thanks for the purchases!! Please write reviews and always feel free to contact us with comments or concerns.

Cheers
DHT

I'm really not a review type of guy... that being said I spent all day yesterday on 30"-40" red oak with the machine. I will say the cycle time is the biggest plus for me. I live in southern Virginia and it was hot yesterday. The machine would run until we cleared the deck of rounds shut it down cut and repeat. My buddy has his thirty ton out which had noticeably more power, but as we all know when you start cutting wood not splitting it the wood is ugly. Some differences we noticed was wedge shape, foot plate design and the overall noise while operating. The wedge on the 22 is great it has a sharp point followed by a steep ramp which pops the wood real nice. On the down side if the wood is real hard it reaches the ramp and stops. I would then raise the ram then the round fall back roll it over to the 30 ton and let it do its thing. That's where I feel his machine with the more progressive ramp with added power shined. Now the foot plate is a big disappointment, it looked great, but as the day progressed I found major flaws it has an addition shape + with no teeth. I found it very difficult to roll the round onto the foot plate being the + pattern is so high and the lack of teeth presented me with a hairy moment. I lowered the ram to make the split when it hit the wood second stage kick in and bam wood shot out hit the stump four inches below my well you get the drift lol. I would love to see the front of the + shaved down so you can slide the round on the foot easy and either break up the long runs of steel or add teeth. Another note the pin that the beam rotates on to go vertical is very loose causing the machine to be very very loud while in operation I'm a ppe kinda guy but don't leave home without ear plugs. Other than a few small things the machine preformed without a hitch and I'm very impressed with the build and value big thanks dht. Side note a 28 ton would be my choice if I did it again

Well..OK..I see that but, psych it out, just think, you "rented" it last year, got all your wood up. So that cost was covered already. Be about the same cost if you had rented a splitter on several occasions. Then, 200 more for all the features you want.

Another rainy day and a sore back - too much time to think. I am now thinking of trading my 22 tn huskee for the 28 tn DHT. I almost can justify it if I can get enough out of the used one. The 28 ton is fast and wouldn't spend so much time in the 2nd phase laboring thru the elm I split. The 22 tn huskee stalls out on a lot of pieces and needs a few runs or reposition to get thru some pieces.

Off hand, ours has these features which the TB does not: Adjustable detent valve, coil protected pressure hoses with NPT fittings (opposed to hose clamps), horizontal shaft Kohler engine with .95 gallon fuel tank vs Honda with .3 gallon and vertical shaft for longer run time, full beam construction, fully boxed tongue with a flip down stand vs U channel and pin, manual canister, in-tank suction screen and return line filtration, larger coupler L090 vs L075 for increased durability, larger pump 13 GPM vs 11 GPM for faster cycle time, built in log cradle which will last forever, ability to add a 4 way wedge and log table. Lastly it looks cool and you will have the satisfaction of helping a little employee owned company grow as opposed to putting money in the pockets of a big conglomerate. Those are some of the reasons, maybe not all of them.....oh and we sponsor this forum!!

Cheers and good luck either way!!

After I read this post where you said ya'll were a employee owned company I left and went straight to lowes and bought one. I got it home put engine oil in it and went to splitting only to find a really bad hydraulic leak. I am pretty sure it happened because when lowes assembled it they didn't put any thread tape on the hydraulic hose fitting. I am going to try to work on it tomorrow I was just so pissed when I saw it I just came home. With that said for the 10 minutes I was able to run it. I am vey impressed. I jumped on some hickory that when you hit it with a go devils it would just smile at you and this hing powered right through it. Coming from a fiskars to this I am very happy.

We have a couple of hours fabbing up a log catch table and then split for a couple of hours afterwards. I don't think that I've ever had a better time splitting wood when it's 88 degrees out. The new 22ton DHT is getting it done. Impressive unit. Thanks for the lowes heads up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 82
Not a bad design there, Tim4. One thing I've noticed with mine is the amount of wood garbage that ends up falling on the engine, specifically the muffler (a lot comes back behind the wedge and drops right on the muffler and starts smoldering). I'd look at adding a simple hinge plate off of that platform that covers the engine, such that you can flip it up for fueling or other maintenance. That's what I plan to do.

When buying a splitter pre-assembled at a box store, I highly recommend looking it over yourself thoroughly. I looked at a Speeco splitter a few years back at a local farm supply place. The suction line was twisted so much that there is no way it would have actually primed or moved any fluid (it was completely collapsed in a couple spots). When I pointed it out to a store employee, he just shrugged.

Picked mine up today. +1 on Lowes and the thread tape on the fittings. They didn't connect the hoses because they said the unit didn't come with the tape. I thought that was a bs reason. I'll connect them tomorrow and see how she rips.

Thanks for the heads up! I've been debating on getting either the Ariens or the DHT, this might sway me. My brother already said he'd share the cost, if I can get my dad to do the same I might be picking up a DHT splitter this weekend.

I was in the same boat, I was looking at the Ariens and the DHT. Now that the DHT is on sale I'm going to pick one up tomorrow....with an additional 10% Military discount it will be a sweet deal.

I was glad to read that there is a 4 way wedge available also.

After I read this post where you said ya'll were a employee owned company I left and went straight to lowes and bought one. I got it home put engine oil in it and went to splitting only to find a really bad hydraulic leak. I am pretty sure it happened because when lowes assembled it they didn't put any thread tape on the hydraulic hose fitting. I am going to try to work on it tomorrow I was just so pissed when I saw it I just came home. With that said for the 10 minutes I was able to run it. I am vey impressed. I jumped on some hickory that when you hit it with a go devils it would just smile at you and this hing powered right through it. Coming from a fiskars to this I am very happy.
When I assembled mine on Thursday the only fittings that needed put together were hydraulic lines to the valve assembly. these fittings don't require any thread sealant and shouldn't leak if properly tightened. The npt fittings were already assembled with thread sealant from the factory and when I checked them they were very tight. I ran 5 pickup loads through mine this weekend and it worked great and didn't leak a drop of fluid.

When I assembled mine on Thursday the only fittings that needed put together were hydraulic lines to the valve assembly. these fittings don't require any thread sealant and shouldn't leak if properly tightened. The npt fittings were already assembled with thread sealant from the factory and when I checked them they were very tight. I ran 5 pickup loads through mine this weekend and it worked great and didn't leak a drop of fluid.
I didn't think they would need thread tape but I tightened the crap out of it and it continued to leak. Should I return it to lowes? It is on a line coming put of the valve into another thing right above the motor. I'm not sure what it is that the line is going into.

I didn't think they would need thread tape but I tightened the crap out of it and it continued to leak. Should I return it to lowes? It is on a line coming put of the valve into another thing right above the motor. I'm not sure what it is that the line is going into.

There is a small placard on the tongue that lists the Manufacturers toll-free number. Give them a call.

Stepup
We just sent you a PM. We'll walk you through it.
Thanks
DHT

We just thought we'd let our fellow wood splitters know that Lowes has our 22 Ton DHT splitter on sale for $989 this weekend with fluids! If you are thinking of getting one, now might be a good time. Use their credit card for additional savings.

Cheers,
DHT
Pick one up Yesterday evening. I went in with my Brother on getting one, were both very happy with it so far. We split about a cord last night with no problems. It starts easy, runs very quiet. Not picking at it because we Love it and hope future splitters will be even better. Things i noticed, Vent cap for the Hydraulic Tank could be easily hit with wood. The control handle could stand to be smoother in working. As for speed it splits fast than we want to work!!!! Great Job

Back