Whats this pile worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance of hiring a local log truck to transport it to your place? It would certainly clean up that stack and make it safer to work on. I agree with others that once you start some of that wood might get legs and "walk away". Much more convienent if its all at your place.

About that 50% black cherry. Over time, I burn quite a bit of it, rather than take it to the dump. At best, it's only so-so firewood, only thing going for it is the fragrance downwind. IOW, it's shoulder-season wood, for heating purposes. Some of it is a bear to split, too.

OTOH, it might well be much more valuable, cut & split to smaller sizes, for barbecue smoking. I'm investigating that myself. One side benny is that for smoking, moisture content is a plus, not a problem.

Green mixed hardwood logs for fire wood sell for ~$500 for 6 cord in my area and that's delivered. If it was me, I'd say knock $400 off the bill if he delivers it, otherwise only $300 for the inconvenience of it not being delivered and not being cash money like I assume your original agreement was...

About that 50% black cherry. Over time, I burn quite a bit of it, rather than take it to the dump. At best, it's only so-so firewood, only thing going for it is the fragrance downwind. IOW, it's shoulder-season wood, for heating purposes. Some of it is a bear to split, too.

OTOH, it might well be much more valuable, cut & split to smaller sizes, for barbecue smoking. I'm investigating that myself. One side benny is that for smoking, moisture content is a plus, not a problem.

The black cherry is going to go to my camping parks I supply if I do this deal. It splits real easy, has less mess and puts out a wonderful aroma in the park so everyone that comes really likes my wood. I'm just going to do it otherwise I probably won't ever get paid. I'll try and keep you guys posted on what the cordage comes to.

Well, I pulled the pin and made the swap last night. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome, hopefully I'll be able to start this weekend if it quits raining. He's got 8 more 24' gooseneck loads to bring but I haven't made a deal on those yet. I wanted to wait and see how many cords I actually get before I write too much of the debt away.

Value of 8 cord of logs is around 500$ - 600$ delivered to your door.

IMO the location is pretty close to you and decent firewood so I think if you say your willing to call it 1/2 the debt you will be pretty close to a mutual deal.
All depends if you need the firewood or not though but it seems the person owing the debt can't pay and has at least made an attempt to make things right.
Something to think about before you low ball a man that obviously has no other way to pay.

Didn't see this until you already made the deal but had a couple of thoughts:

If he's a good guy who is genuinely down on his luck-give him a better deal, especially if he will help process it.

If he's trying to weasel out on what he owes you, don't be so generous.

I checked in with 2 logging companies and they both said they would deliver loads for $600.00 when they were in the area only and it would be at there convenience. I settled for using this figure as a starting point after seeing what you all have been paying. It is very close to me, he has ample storage for my splitters inside that I can leave on site until finished processing plus use of a loader tractor or skid steer if one is around. It's not that the guy is a low life, he just got himself in a bind with a kids medical bills and I sure wasn't going to come down on him for not paying me. He'll eventually get squared away with everyone, as he isn't the type to not pay a bill. He actually came up with the idea to trade me the logs so I would get something sooner rather than later, and like me, he just couldn't see putting them into a brush pile and burning them.

Burning all that wood would be a shame. Glad you are taking care of it.

Update. Had to get the big splitter out cause I couldn't lift up the rounds! Had to get a Stihl MS 880 with a 42 inch bar on it to get them cut. Finally have all of the first load cut into rounds and stacked and at least half split and transported. He's been bringing in a bunch more stuff, but I'm pretty tired right now in this heat and not sure when I'll go back and get more done.
20140824_111502.jpg 20140824_111507.jpg 20140824_111502.jpg 20140824_111507.jpg 20140824_111518.jpg 20140824_111530.jpg 20140824_111534.jpg 20140824_111538.jpg 20140824_111543.jpg

That will yeild 9.2 cords I would put a value of $300 on it as it sits where it sits.
Just my opinion Good luck

And just wait for a winter like last and it will be worth 300$ a chord by febuary.

That will yeild 9.2 cords I would put a value of $300 on it as it sits where it sits.
Just my opinion Good luck
Not really sure if you were being funny or not as this is an older thread. The latest pictures I posted show some new logs that were dropped off, but are not from the original load. I still have 4 rows of rounds stacked 3' to 4' high 30' long to split up. I have sold almost 3,400 bundles of wood out of this so far this summer. I think that is probably more than 9.2 cord.

Latest posts

Back