getting 1000lb cant up on horses

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Started milling a huge 36 inch white oak. This thing was 42 feet of strait wood till the first branch. It blew down in a windstorm and took another 36 inch white oak plus a huge beech tree with it. What a mess. I cut the first 8 foot log into several cants with the csm. This particular cant was 14 x 22. Quick and dirty math tells me this one was approx 200 bd ft, or about 1000 lbs. of wet oak. This is how I get that half ton up onto horses for much easier milling.

Here is the cant on the ground where I rolled it off of the log after milling it out of the 36 inch log.
lift1.jpg

First dig a small area under end of cant to get front of jack under, then raise it up enough to get small chunck of wood under end of cant
lift2.jpg

Slide whole jack under middle of cant and raise
lift3.jpg

Drop onto first horse
lift4.jpg

Using couple of custom made jack extensions (made out of solid locust) so jack can lift high enough, raise other end and slip other horse under
lift5.jpg

Now it's up high enough so that when I run my mill down the cant, I am not down in the dirt pushing that thing down the wood. MUCH easier on the back and knees.
lift6.jpg

Way to go!!!!! You make it look easy.
I like your operation, what kind of mill is that?

Ed

> getting 1000lb cant up on horses

necessity , the mother of all inventions .. nice work.

Ed*L said:
Way to go!!!!! You make it look easy.
I like your operation, what kind of mill is that?
Ed
It's called a Ripsaw, ripsaw.com/store.html, a small handheld bandsaw powered by a chainsaw engine. I've got tons of pics on here showing it in operation, just do a search on ripsaw and many will pop up. I use it in conjunction with a csm to mill several thousand bd ft a year. Actually, this is turning into a more productive than normal milling year for me. As of last weekend, I'm over 2500 bd ft since Jan. Weekends and some evenings till it gets dark early... I mill when I have time, and that then eventually feeds my woodshop.

Cool! and watch them toes baby! ;) You don't really appreciate how big that cant is until the 4th pic. Btw, nice horses.

lift4.jpg

Back