Selling Logs to a firewood buyer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mx377

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I have been cleaning up a large lot of oak tops. The other day I had a guy ask me to sell him logs....

He asked me to cut them at 8'6". Does anyone have an idea why he is requesting that size?

6 rounds out of it and the extra 6" is saw kerf?

I figured it out one day, on a 40ft log I lose over 16" of tree to sawdust.

About standard pulp log length ( 100") 8'6"=102" that gives about 6, 16" rounds with waste for saw kerf per log. 3 x (4'x8'x16")=apx 1 cord split

[Qtried "Dale, post: 4965928, member: 5289"]Yep, lumber in his mind, not firewood[/QUOTE]
I tried to sell logs to saw mills. I found I could make more money selling as fire wood than lumber I was offered $27.00 a general grade log i cut it onto firewood bundled it and made $350.00. I don't care what kind of tree its is it's f/w

6 or 7 years back only a couple of mills in the area, now there is an overabundance of people milling, some portable. In conjuction with that are the CL ads wanting big dollars for there priceless yard tree, various species besides Black Walnut. ( Like the video cartoon I saw posted somewhere a short time ago)

6 rounds out of it and the extra 6" is saw kerf?

I figured it out one day, on a 40ft log I lose over 16" of tree to sawdust.

I'd like to know what kind of saw you are using. My math tells me that you should get 30-16" rounds out of a 40'er so that means 29 cuts and using 3/8" chain it comes out to 10 7/8". I can't believe that 404 chain would bump you up another 5 plus inches, but maybe it would.

My math tells me that you should get 30-16" rounds out of a 40'er so that means 29 cuts and using 3/8" chain it comes out to 10 7/8".

Actually :D I believe 3/8 pitch chain cuts a 5/16 inch kerf, so 29 cuts equals only 9 1/16 inches of total kerf... but hey, what's an inch or two between friends?? :oops:

I was going to say processor. Log trucks stakes will efficiently hold 8 and 16 with the later hard to get straight, 8's is more wood on a load. For the measurement thing, take a sapling and cut it 8'6 and use sidewalk chalk or mark with your saw.

I use spray paint and a 12' sapling in the bush to cut to log length. Pics show the way I do it to cut rounds at home. I used a 8'6" piece of alum stair nosing marked into 16" then drilled a 1/2" hole there. Set on log and hit the hole with an inverted spray can. I used to use orange but it showed up too bright, I found a case of yellow that I had bought years ago at a sale and it works great. You can see I use my manure fork to hold up the logs too, much easier on my old back. One in the pic is maybe a 20 or 22" log.
IMG_00001172.jpg IMG_00001174.jpg IMG_00001173.jpg

Who wants to take the time to mill out of tops? Usually pretty marginal wood for sawing. IMO, the tops are by and large, by definition, the part of the tree that is no longer producing saw logs. Tops are perfect firewood, though.

Is he picking them up or are you delivering? Maybe he needs them a certain length for transport or maybe that's just what he prefers for making firewood?

Back