Indoor wood rack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higs2013

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has some photos or plans of their indoor wood racks? I currently use a three foot ring that holds about three days of wood when full, and I am looking to make a rack that holds more. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated...Thanks

I bought a rack from Woodland Direct several months ago to put in the garage( twelve feet) for those icy /rainy days. It was on sale. You can buy cheaper racks at Menard's or Lowes or you can make one yourself.
If you google "firewood racks" you'll get a lot of hits.

The question I have is: How mach space do you have?

Thanks for the reply stihlaficionado, The space I have is next to my stove maybe 3 feet wide 24 inches deep and 5 feet high or so. I have plenty of storage for bulk wood in my shed off my house which holds a cord. I'm looking for something that will hold a few days worth by the stove and isn't the current metal ring I use.

I don't have pics but I cut up old bed frames weld them the size I want and put casters on them.
That's a good idea. Seems like you can find bed frames in the "free" pile at most rummage sales. Scavenge the angle iron for other projects. Smart thinking there!

DSC01068.JPG DSC01068.JPG DSC01066.JPG DSC01067.JPG Close to 20 years ago I was able to salvage a couple of wooden shipping boxes from work. I store them in my pole barn during the summer and bring them to the garage in the fall. I use the smaller one for kindling and the larger one for the regular wood. I attached 2x4 blocks with a hole in each so I could put wheels on them for easy transport. One set of wheels for both boxes.View attachment 371293 View attachment 371293

I've got the 3' steel ring and also a 12' rack made from 2x4's that I keep on my deck. You could build one as long or short as you wanted to fit in your available space.

View attachment 370597
Nice home-built rack SVK
My indoor rack is primitive and is an old costume glass window shipping crate for the ship and locomotive industry made from 2x6.
It holds about one third cord and I built a shelf half way across it.
You can see part of it in the background and filled with Silver maple right now.IMG_20150802_172916548.jpg

I just use a couple of Rubbermaid totes. Small enough that the wood fits in them (16" long) but large enough so that filling two of them is enough for 24 hrs. I'm able to keep the carpet a lot cleaner by not having all the junk fall off of the wood in the house. When the tote is empty, I either dump it outside or throw it in the insert. Bugs have a hard time crawling up the plastic sides too.

I just use a couple of Rubbermaid totes. Small enough that the wood fits in them (16" long) but large enough so that filling two of them is enough for 24 hrs. I'm able to keep the carpet a lot cleaner by not having all the junk fall off of the wood in the house. When the tote is empty, I either dump it outside or throw it in the insert. Bugs have a hard time crawling up the plastic sides too.
I second the tote idea, been carrying my wood inside from the attatched garage this way for close to 15 yrs. Keeps the floor clean and any bugs that may be present in the tote where I can deal with them.

I made a rack 4th long and 2 ft tall sitting on my patio. Holds about a weeks worth on the coldest nights... I'm more concerned about keeping a weeks worth of wood dry!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

I second the tote idea, been carrying my wood inside from the attatched garage this way for close to 15 yrs. Keeps the floor clean and any bugs that may be present in the tote where I can deal with them.

Totes are great way to do it! Did it for awhile. But i like to have at least a weeks worth. Its nice to have an attached mudroom/garage!

I made this from 3/4" black iron gas pipe:

woodrack.jpg

It doesn't hold as much as I'd like, but it fits the tight space I needed it to fit in without blocking your way in the room, and doesn't visually dominate the area.

I can fit about a days worth in this box I made, which sits next to the stove.
image.jpg
And I keep this in my garage it holds a weeks worth of wood. The firewood fits in between the 2x4's and its 16' long, two 8' sections, all the debris stays inside and I just take them outside and dump as needed instead of sweeping and there is no stuff spreading all over the garage floor, 100x better with the plywood bottom.
image.jpg

Here's a sketch of what I built not too long ago:

You can adjust the dimensions as you see fit to make it hold more or less. I used 2 x 4 doug fir stock and notched the joints (half laps) for strength. Screws back up the joints, so it's rock solid. Paint it whatever color you want. I used solid color deck stain. In all, there are only 10 pieces required.

Note that you cab also add a bottom panel to it for catching some crumbs. The lady of the house might appreciate that.

Back