Stihl 026 running 20" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Ron

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a Husqvarna 455 Rancher running H80 chains (72 link, 3/8 pitch, .050 gauge). I recently picked up a Stihl 026 that has an 18" bar (74 link, .325 pitch, .063 gauge). I found that the saw will work with a 20" bar (Part# 3003-000-8921) to run the same size chains I have for the Husqvarna, so I was hoping to throw a bar on it that will allow me to use them on both saws.

Some other posts on the forum indicate problems, especially slower chain speed, just from changing from .325 to .375 pitch on an 026. Can anyone weigh in on my situation?

Thanks.

While not having had an 026 in my hands, it seems any 20" I ever saw for a Stihl in .050 3/8 ran 70 drivers... There are several members on here way more versed than I though so I'm curious to see where this goes.

Duane

The Stihl saws use 72 dl on a 20" 3/8" bar. That said, I would only run 3/8" chain on an 026 on a short bar (16") and of the 3 026 saws I have, none of them are set up for 3/8. These saws do better with the .325 chains they come with and the 026 is happiest with a 16 or 18 in the .325.
A 20" bar in 3/8 pitch is way too much for that saw.

It will of course do it in a pinch, but that's about all. Don't let what you run on one saw dictate what you run on other saws.

Another thing is that the setup on your 455 hardly is optimal on that one either.

If its a healthy saw it will pull it. You may or may not like how long it takes. As far as .325 to .375 on that saw I don't notice that much of a difference.

It will of course do it in a pinch, but that's about all. Don't let what you run on one saw dictate what you run on other saws.

Another thing is that the setup on your 455 hardly is optimal on that one either.

Understood. I'm curious about this because the 455 came set-up that way, so I am interested in your thoughts on what may serve as a better set-up. Any input you can offer is appreciated. Thx.

Understood. I'm curious about this because the 455 came set-up that way, so I am interested in your thoughts on what may serve as a better set-up. Any input you can offer is appreciated. Thx.

My impression is that they often come that way just because that's what many people expect "Rancher" saws to come with.

I'm sure that a shorter bar suits the saw better, and that .325 will perform better than 3/8". 16- 18" .325 is my suggestion.

My impression is that they often come that way just because that's what many people expect "Rancher" saws to come with.

I'm sure that a shorter bar suits the saw better, and that .325 will perform better than 3/8". 16- 18" .325 is my suggestion.

Well said. If I had only the money to buy a 50cc saw and 20" bar to cut all my wood with that's what I would buy. May not be ideal but it would work. Heck I cut all my firewood with a 42cc and 18" bar for many years.

I have run 20" bars on my old 026 successfully for years and later on MS260 Pro models, always 3/8" full skip. Maybe my saws were more powerful than the other guys here or maybe I am just better at sharpening but I was quite happy. Now that I run the MS261 I am even happier. Oh and my back feels much better with a 20" bar over a 16" bar.

I have a bunch of short bars and chains that I will be selling at the NorCal GTG on Nov 1st.

The only reason I'd suggest running 3/8" pitch on an 026/ms260 would be if everything else you run is 3/8" and you want 1-file for sharpening. With that said I'd go short, 16" max.

I run my 026 w/ 18" B&C w/ .325"... It pulls great and I don't see ever going up or down in bar length or chain pitch.

My 039 can eat anything bigger and the ms180 or my Lil Echo can chew on anything smaller

It depends what type and size wood you're cutting too, soft wood is probably fine with a 20" though it'll be slow with a 26, the oiler will need to be good too

I ran a 20" 3/8 on a mastermind 261 in full bar Ozzie hardwood and it cut but wasn't happy, 18" 3/8 was better and 18" .325 was faster still and that was an angry saw with balls

The only reason I'd suggest running 3/8" pitch on an 026/ms260 would be if everything else you run is 3/8"

This is the main reason I run .375 on mine. The second is a 16" and an 8pin on my 0446 for the utube vids. Got to cut fast yo. :)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. You all saved me from myself. LOL.

My 026 originally came with an 18" 0.325 set up. Changed it to 15" 0.325. Much snappier and better balanced, a pleasure to use.

Latest posts

Back