stihl 024AV .... rebuild or leave it alone ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich450es

you can't fix stupid
Reaction score
i bought a 024 off a guy that owned it since new for $100 (original bar and chain lol ) i just rebuilt the carb, new fuel and impulse lines , new plug and filters a month ago and the saw ran great but was low on compression (95psi) and this concerned him a little . so last week he offers me the saw because he bought a new ms250 for the $100 and i said s$%t yea i will . so the first thing i do is pull the muffler and mod it (piston and cylinder look good with no scoring ) and adjust the carb .......man that thing screams like the roadrunner on meth ....... i added a 18in bar and chain and it didn't skip a beat in this 15in wet pine i was playing in today ! ok so my question to you all is should i tare it down and re ring it or leave it alone ? (looks like brand new except for the plastic cover over the muffler is a little melted )
thanks everyone ......rich

I would do the rings. IF there is no scoring then why not make the saw run as good as new? 100 bucks is 100 bucks why throw that away? just my 5 cents. we no longer have the penny here.

i forgot to add that the shop is at 5000 feet and was cutting at 6100-6200 feet and was cutting strong for a little 42cc saw .......

where is the best place to get a good set of rings or do you think the hong kong rings off ebay will work

Got mine for $80 with similar comp and put in some oem rings. After a dozen or so tanks, muff mod, carb rebuild, port cleaning/polishing it goes like hell and comp is v high. 15" bar works well for me.

Fantastic little saw, was well worth the time and effort. Gets a lot of use.

this saw is a little toy to me because i have accsess to 880s , 660s, 440s,290s (and smaller saws) ....i am the mechanic for a tree an lawn care company and work on coustimers saws but this little bastardd put a smile on my face today ....lol

That compression reading seems low enough that I'm surprised it would run. If it was my saw, and it ran well, I'd leave it alone.
I would suspect the compression reading. Do other saws you check read higher? I'm thinking you should be seeing something closer to 150 on that saw.

i got the same reading with 2 different compression testers (1 new and one 30 years old ) i think it reads lower because of the altitude

i will take some readings in the morning on a few different saws and see if there lower also .......thanks

+1 there good little runners, if you get bored with it change the jug, carb and top cover and have a 026

get caber rings
The stroke on the regular 024 is different. You can only use the 026 jug if this saw was a 024 super. It is possible that the OP's compression tester is not
reading correctly if indeed the saw is running as good as he says. I would do the ring job, replace the base gasket with the .5mm gasket from Stihl (better
compression). You already did the lines, and filter. How does the air filter look? To round out your improvements make sure the air filter is not missing
any flocking. (If it is a wire screen filter with no flocking and no inner filter material --throw it away and buy an OEM flocked filter for this saw!).
Sounds like you are moving forward.

There's no way that your saw has 95 PSI compression and runs good both. I suspect your gauge is the wrong kind. It must have a Schrader valve at the very tip where it screws into the cylinder. Also, you need to test the saw cold and pull until the gauge won't go any higher.

There's no way that your saw has 95 PSI compression and runs good both. I suspect your gauge is the wrong kind. It must have a Schrader valve at the very tip where it screws into the cylinder. Also, you need to test the saw cold and pull until the gauge won't go any higher.

Brad I have had a guage that read about 20 psi too low and it wound up being the wrong Schrader valve insert. It was a red one instead of a white one. I would guess his saw is blowing 115 PSI .

Get a set of f cast rings from weedeaterman lose the base gasket if sqeesh is ok it will be a fine runner after I adjusted this to where I think for 15-18 people you will be in good shape...

Psi test and vacuum test it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok so i checked my gauge on a pair of 660 that the boss has around the shop and both gauges read 145 on one saw and 155 on the other sooooooooo i ordered a set of rings this afternoon and i will see what i get on the gauge after rebuild and after a few tanks of gas ......vacuum held for 2mins without a drop ..... thanks everyone rich

on an old saw like that you may even just have a totally worn cylinder. i just pulled apart an 028 that had nearly no plating left from the exhaust port up throughout the whole bore. ew rings don't help anything at that point. i'd run it.

Latest posts

Back