Shaver Grates are shot!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urhstry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do anyone else's grates look this bad? I burned all wood until last year when I switched to Anthracite Coal. It just fried these grates to pulp. Working on making a whole new grate in stainless. I'll post the finished product once its complete.
IMG_20141006_145411015.jpg IMG_20141006_145441922.jpg

Do anyone else's grates look this bad? I burned all wood until last year when I switched to Anthracite Coal. It just fried these grates to pulp. Working on making a whole new grate in stainless. I'll post the finished product once its complete.
View attachment 372542 View attachment 372543
you might want to rethink about stainless.they used cast iron for a reason......and when you use coal,,you HAVE to keep a bed of ashes on the grates.. as the heat of the coal,,is at times hot enough to do what happened to you....acme stove co, may have your grates...

you might want to rethink about stainless.they used cast iron for a reason......and when you use coal,,you HAVE to keep a bed of ashes on the grates.. as the heat of the coal,,is at times hot enough to do what happened to you....acme stove co, may have your grates...
that grate certainly isnt cast... but i agree dont use stainless, it will likely warp alot worse than the hot rolled A-36 that the original grate was made out of...

yeah the originals are not cast, just a mild steel. I would think the stainless would hold up better to the heat than round stock steel. Too late now, just bought 24 feet of the stainless... I'll guess we'll see. But back to my question... is anyone else's grates close to this condition.... wood or coal burned?

Yes, I have seen grates that bad but it took many years to get that way. With wood fires only. They were cast iron too.The replacements were steel,welded up by a very good shop but they only lasted 3 years.

Yes, I have seen grates that bad but it took many years to get that way. With wood fires only. They were cast iron too.The replacements were steel,welded up by a very good shop but they only lasted 3 years.
and THATS why I say cast iron.........................

View attachment 372542 View attachment 372543
Meh...there's at least a couple more fires left in them grates. :laugh:
Be interesting to see how the SS holds up

We had cast iron grates in our old woodfurnace. If the ash would accumulate in the pan to the grates, they would warp. I always made sure to keep ash from the grates to allow for air to flow thru them.

Absolutely right.At least 2" between the bottom of the grate and the top of the ashes and more is better!Some ashes should be allowed to remain on top of the grate too.

When I make my new one in the spring would it be better to keep them closer like 1" the original grates are to open I believe and to much is falling through leaving me with no bed of coals for a milder day

Absolutely right.At least 2" between the bottom of the grate and the top of the ashes and more is better!Some ashes should be allowed to remain on top of the grate too.
I agree, the ashes hold in the heat and cause the warpage. My set warped after 2-3 years and brother in law actually made new grate out of bar stock twice and they both warped. "straightened my original and added a brace and still burning it. Will likely have to replace in next year or so but best way to minimize warpage is keep air moving across grates to keep heat buildup down.

Back