6in round to 12x12 square adapter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftyz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an adapter like this I can use to hook my 6in chimney pipe into the bottom of a 13x13 clay tile liner?

I just got my chimney done, and a new wood stove (Drolet HT-2000), but due to how things are setup, I need to have this adapter, or else run a pipe all the way up the chimney.

Chimney pic:

10519767_10154704749730442_21844535496236577_n.jpg

Any HVAC supplier can get one for you. Make sure its stainless so it don't rust out.

What does the Manual say for the flue size? My drolet specifies a 6" flue. I am guessing that your not going to have enough draft with a flue that big.

Manual says 6"

My mason said.. "This should draw like a m*f*-er" so I figured why not try it?

I thought thimbles were only for going into the side of the chimney?

Just to clarify, I don't really have any issue running 6" all the way up, that's how it was before with my old stove, albeit with 8" pipe. I just figured that using the adapter would be a cleaner solution overall.

I should have worded that differently. You may not have the correct draft, too much or not enough. Too much draft could over fire the stove and or lower your ability for the heat to transfer in the stove(IE low heat output).

My mason said.. "This should draw like a m*f*-er" so I figured why not try it?
He is full of it! You will need a 6" liner in that monster or you will be highly disappointed in that stove. 6" Stainless flex liner with insulation will make that baby hum nicely! Looks like a single story house? If so that chimney may be a lil short. Most of those stoves want a 15' chimney to work right. If that is the case you will definitely want to insulate the liner, you won't be able to spare losing any draft (losing temp in the chimney kills draft) you may still hafta ad a few feet of class A pipe on the top (assuming it is a short chimney that is)

Think about it, 6" round pipe has approx. 27 sq. in. area, 13 x 13 is 169! More is not better...

It is a single story ranch with full basement. The stove will be on the main floor tied in about 5' above floor height (8ft ceilings). The attic is probably 6-8' tall, the brick chimney does extend over 24" above the roof's ridge line. So that's about 13' estimated. I have 15' of single wall galvanized pipe that I am going to put in going up from there, the 15' should bring it up to the top plus a foot or two. I do not know the exact height.

I live in a place with a nearly constant breeze which I'm told should help promote a healthy draft.

If this will not work out well then I may just have to live with being disappointed in it this winter, between the roof, chimney and stove I have spent all of my savings. That class A pipe isn't cheap..

Just reading up on the subject, would a top plate sealing off the opening around the pipe at the top of the chimney create enough dead air to act as insulation?

leftyz, I don't know where in upstate NY you are, but I have a 6.5" x 25' SS flex liner kit that I tried to install but couldn't (chimney was too crooked), that I would be willing to part with for a break-even or small loss. I live less than an hour from Elmira or Corning, for reference.

If you're interested, let me know, if not, that's cool too.

Thanks King, I already have the rigid 6" pipe, so I don't feel the flex is necessary. If you had insulation wrap for cheap I might jump on that ;)

Learning alot just from your comments and doing research afterward. Thank you all, any more comments are welcome.

Here is how the chimney looked before I emptied my wallet to my mason. (He actually gave me a very fair price, I believe, but it still hurt!)

1654295_10154673746365442_3427131110707055075_n.jpg

Galvanized is not meant to be a chimney liner period, it just won't last. A S.S liner that length won't cost that much and will last for years. If your current liner is in good shape then insulation may not be necessary. I went with a rigid 22 gauge stainless liner, and would go that route again in a heartbeat. We had a 7x12 liner on our 32' chimney that wouldn't hold enough draft for our EPA furnace. Once I put a 5.5" liner down the chimney, things worked much better.

Back