Crazy Burls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking the face at the top looks like a cocker spaniel too. So many different forms in it, it's just mesmerizing to look at.

I'd like to keep it because it's so unique. But I wouldn't be against selling it, especially to someone who would use it for turning out pieces.
Can you show us a pic of the other side also what type of tree did u cut it off from?

I'll get another pic and measure it. It was taken from a giant Red oak, the one in this picture. I believe the piece came from one of those bucked rounds.

IMAG0590.jpg

guy i go moose hunting with makes bowls out of them and sells them anywhere from 200 to 600 at wood shows.

Full Chisel, Post your original posting over on the wood carving and turning section on Arboristsite. I'm quite sure you will generate a lot of interest from the turners over there.

SVK, the burl that you ripped in half would of had generated some interest from the turners also, if you would have left the burl intact, and just cut above and below the burl and left the log section whole. -ken

You could still cut some pen/call blanks out of that I would think. What kind of wood is that SVK? Looks like maple but maybe cherry?

You could still cut some pen/call blanks out of that I would think. What kind of wood is that SVK? Looks like maple but maybe cherry?
It's ash, I believe white. It was cut in half by my grandpa over 40 years ago as he was an excellent carpenter and was planning on making tables but never got to this project. After he passed my cousin and I each took a half. It's been indoors for that entire time so it's REALLY dry. I do know where a few black ash burls live although not quite as grand as this one.

The main log is about 18" so this is somewhat of a beast to move around. As I mentioned I'd like to slab it off to clean up the rough outer cut and make a table or two for my cabin or office.

Wow, would not have thought ash. That is some pretty grain. Hope you dig up a mill that can get it down to size eventually.

I've got some cherry rounds that I noodled in half that I'm planning on making picture frames out of. It's some nice stuff, straight grained but it really pops in the light. Looking forward to that project...

Back