What Knot Do You Use For Pulling Trees Over?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I'm not a newbie why is using spikes for "prune only" a bad thing?

Frankly I already know the answer or should say I have my own opinions... plus my studies from the certification material I have... along with the most common answers out there... plus all the answers I see from searching the net. Then there's the study manuals and CD-rom material, etc. You know, ANSI, ISA, TCI... So with that said, yeah, I have a good idea of all the typical answers.

However, if one were not to ask other professionals their advice, then one is losing out of the #1 source of receiving reputable answers.

Anyway, that particular question was not for me, but after a number of replies would have taken place, I could show 2 retards in this area that doing prunes using spikes is wrong... and they would see this not from myself, but from other members here.

I'm way ahead of you. I no longer need your input on this particular thread. If perhaps you don't understand what I just wrote here above, I can type s.l.o.w.e.r if that helps.

Sorry, but you got that one wrong, your assumption and the reply.

StihlRockin' :rolleyes:

Cant we all just get along, not everyone can articulate well in writing. It does not mean they're stupid or don't understand what they're doing.

A running bowline is what ive always used in what im thinking is your application. Knot your having issues with is probly some type of hitch. I know some old timers that rely on the trusty old clove hitch for just about everything you could imagine but in the wrong application i've seen it bind up pretty bad.

I used a running bowline for a long time and to this day I get frustrated tying knots if I am lowering a bunch of stuff so recently I use a steel carabiner for lowering limbs or pulling trees over. So much better!!! The only time I won't use it is catching a top since the straight down angle won't give you the friction needed to hold.

Pulling a tree with a carabiner
Seems risky , unless you just use then once and retire then

Cant we all just get along, not everyone can articulate well in writing. It does not mean they're stupid or don't understand what they're doing.

A running bowline is what ive always used in what im thinking is your application. Knot your having issues with is probly some type of hitch. I know some old timers that rely on the trusty old clove hitch for just about everything you could imagine but in the wrong application i've seen it bind up pretty bad.

Ok, to re-say what I said prior, I only come across the issue not frequently, but enough I know there's a better knot and I was thinking of using the running bowline. The knot I was taught years ago worked ok, however I forgot it's name.

And YES!... moojpg2... I totally agree on the "Cant we all just get along, not everyone can articulate well in writing. It does not mean they're stupid or don't understand what they're doing." That's why I try to be clear in what I write so that what I say is clear. Unfortunately "someone" here doesn't care about getting along, instead is comfortable with trying to belittle or cut other's down.

Thank you for your post moojpg2 and others. This ol' guy has to go. Phone and emails to reply to!

Thanks fellas for your help, advice and opinions. Much appreciated.

StihlRockin'

Running bowline or double bowline here also. Depends on my mood

Thanks treebilly for the reply!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To put alcohol on the wound so to speak, I vehicle pulled 2 trees over today with my "experimental" knot not mentioned here and pretty much did a great job...

...making an AXE KNOT! You know what that is? Is the sort of knot you need an AXE to untie. LOL! No more experimentations here boys. Took 15 minutes between both knots to get the ******* untied! :mad: Should have gone to my go-to knot or at least did a running bowline. Ok, I'm stubborn!

Thanks.

StihlRockin' :)

I don't use rope to pull my trunks over I usually just sit around and wait for the proper gust of wind.

Running bowline......

Ladies.... Is there no 'bickering' forum you can join? You are being ridiculous....

Sent from my iPhone

And YES!... moojpg2... I totally agree on the "Cant we all just get along, not everyone can articulate well in writing. It does not mean they're stupid or don't understand what they're doing." That's why I try to be clear in what I write so that what I say is clear. Unfortunately "someone" here doesn't care about getting along, instead is comfortable with trying to belittle or cut other's down.

StihlRockin'
Oh boy. I'm not here to belittle anyone. I myself have asked beginner questions here. Hell, I haven't been at this trade all that long. I have however put a good bit of blood sweat and humility into getting as good at this work as I possibly can be. Humility being the most important aspect. When I have a question, I ask it. I would say something like this "hey guys, I don't know what knot I should use for this application, can you tell me what you would use?" The reason I responded to this post the way I did is simple. I have noticed that all of your questions come with an insinuation that you already know the answer. Just admit you have a question for people who have more experience than you and you won't run into "belittling". Now you can go ahead and have the last word. That's all I came to say.

I have noticed that all of your questions come with an insinuation that you already know the answer.

It's not an insinuation but a fact I already have my own opinions on things... especially when I've been doing it a number of years that has done well for me, but unless I ask questions I won't get answers where I may learn something other than I know now which may be better, faster, more efficient, etc. I let people know upfront my thoughts so they know they are not dealing with a rookie so in that they don't waste their time with the usual newbie stuff and instead maybe write something different that's a bit beyond the learner stage. For you to insinuate that ALL my questions are as you imagine is wrong, false, misinterpreted and misleading... something you have clearly shown you are good at.

I have already proved you wrong with these accusations with my replies.

What you have clearly demonstrated here to me and others is that you don't play nice and are rude, disrespectful and nothing short of being a trouble maker. Imagine if people came here to learn and ask questions and they all get the same stuff that you have demonstrated here? Forum wouldn't last long.

I asked a question and several good fellas took their valuable time to help with their replies, whereas you come out making ridiculous statements and being antagonizing... downright hostile.

You started all this and I'm not going to sit back and let you say **** without hearing back from me.

StihlRockin'

Pulling a tree with a carabiner
Seems risky , unless you just use then once and retire then

I always put the carabiner on the backside to not take the impact. Essentially, it works the same as a running bowline just way faster. Tying knots is not my strong side as a climber, I can do it but it hurts my brain.

In the fire service we went away from using the bowline. At my station we went to using the figure 8 family for everything. Yall say using a steel carabiner is risky. But spend the extra money 35-50 bucks for a NFPA rated carabiner and they are rated around 9000+ pounds and will hold more but they under rate those things for safety reasons. The figure 8 family of knots are easy to tie and even when loaded they are still a breeze 99% of the time to untie if you had to. Just some input from the firefighters side. That maybe yall could try.

Latest posts

Back