660R with 41" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbull660

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
anyone have experience running a 41" bar on a 660R ? Anyone run .404 in this setup as well?

I run a 36" on my 660 mag from time to time, but I prefer my 25" or 30". My O51 seems more comfortable with a 41" .404. I Marist say that I use the 36" and 41" for cutting bigger stuff for 2" rounds though. A buddy of mine got married and the bride wanted cupcake stands made from big 2" thick rounds, so that is the only reason I have to use those bars. Been kind of busy making those things those. Apparently Pinterest has spurred this interest.

Not a fan of my 660 w/ a 36" and balance, can't imagine a 41" being better.

Primarily I am a firewood cutter though so I stick with 30" and under.

A faller I build saws for owns 6 066/660 work saws, the first one I ported for him was very mild with no port timing mods just gasket delete. It now carries a 42" and is his big stumper cause it likes to "grunt". The other saws sport 36" bars, all using 3/8 square skip chain.

A friend I help mill logs with has a ms880 with that bar and chain set up. The 404 chain and that long a bar is a bit to much for that saw.

l run .404 on both 25"/32" bars with a ported motosagen660. lt gets the job done and gives you a nice thick kerf to work with. Around here .404 hardly gets a mention....but l like it.

My dual port 066 was maxed out with a 36" running 3/8. A stock 088 will run a .404 42" ok, not great, but ok. some folks have run a 42 " on a 066 and said it pulled with authority, but personally, I wouldn't define it as authority and mine wouldn't have done well with that length bar.

We use .404 on a 24" 390xp at work, works well and on the bigger saws too

Get a bar 14mm to 12mm bar adapter and bring your 660 to the gtg. You can try my 41" es bar. The guy who makes adapters is even going to be there.

Get a bar 14mm to 12mm bar adapter and bring your 660 to the gtg. You can try my 41" es bar. The guy who makes adapters is even going to be there.
Is it possible to run large mount bars on a 660 . I didn't think the oil hole would line up .
But I do run a 30".404 on my 660 and is works great . I think over 36 I would be running 3/8 ship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Softwoods it will be usable with a bar that long. Trying to use it in hardwood will be a losing battle. I run a .404 41" cannon bar on my ms880 and it makes for a good but very heavy combo.

At a certain point optimum balance , gyroscopic effect, oil ratios , power to weight ratios all go out the door and you have to have some nuts and just get at it.
Oregon make Durapro chain that has bigger cutters than normal 3/8 which gives you a wider kerf with out going to 404100_0953.JPG
100_0972.JPG

Anything over 36" I would run .404. Anything under 20" I would run .325. All else would be .375.

Isn't a 660R 90cc? I have a 395xp @ 94cc and I strapped a 42" bar on once and it was a workout and a half for the saw. I would think ported it would do better, and would port it if I were going to run a bar that long, but the 066/660, like the 390xp, would probably be overworked and underpowered for that setup. Is it possible? Yes. It might do it, but you probably won't like it.

But it also comes down to a) hardwood vs softwood b) crosscut vs milling, c) oiling ability, and d) how f*ing badly you need to make that cut.

At a certain point optimum balance , gyroscopic effect, oil ratios , power to weight ratios all go out the door and you have to have some nuts and just get at it.
Oregon make Durapro chain that has bigger cutters than normal 3/8 which gives you a wider kerf with out going to 404View attachment 379982
View attachment 379983
They discontinued that chain Brian. I wanted some myself.

I ran a 41" 3/8" bar on a 660r I had. It barely oiled it in hardwood. It didn't have trouble pulling the bar.

A friend I help mill logs with has a ms880 with that bar and chain set up. The 404 chain and that long a bar is a bit to much for that saw.

Thats funny, my 880 runs a 60 inch bar and 404 chain for milling all day long.

60" was way too much for my stock 088 or 880. As soon as all cutters made even light contact with the wood, the chain would stop. I cannot imagine cutting with that length bar, much less milling with it. 60" seems to be 090, big Mac, or geardrive territory from my little experience.

Back