Suggestions for a sickly elm? Pics included!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To much waffle, lets get practical and if the tree comes down, respectfully ask the OP to take a couple of section pics of the trunk from say 2.5m (8ft) down as its reduced.

Now if SC is to busy, and like me can't be bothered taking lots of pics for forum entertainment/argument then fair enough.

Be nice to see some though.

Please :D

I think you would be fine to prune and toss a cable in but don't go to far spending money when the root crown is in the street. Sounds like the owner doesn't really care as long as the house is fine. Its possible the Tree Warden comes around a take it down one day. Hell he might even charge the owner for that.

Hello fellas,

Both trees will soon be horizontal. Clients has chosen to remove and replant due to liability, damage to the drive way, and dissatisfaction with the trees in general. I'll try and get some pics of the removal. The job is getting subbed out, you'll see why in the pics. Should be interesting :confused:

Liability, The Boogie Man of 2014.

Sorry for the duplication Jon; that was the full version, along with the shortened version that the hack editors demanded. But considering the mycophobia rampant in this biz, maybe it needed saying twice! Those who aren't high on 2-cycle fumes might be able to understand it and use it.

Liability, The Boogie Man of 2014.

Sorry for the duplication Jon; that was the full version, along with the shortened version that the hack editors demanded. But considering the mycophobia rampant in this biz, maybe it needed saying twice! Those who aren't high on 2-cycle fumes might be able to understand it and use it.
The house is going to be a rental, she said if she was living in it we could have taken a different approach. I totally understand that. Thanks for the suggestions and attachment you provided.

Today's the day. More pics of the inside coming soon.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416938180.629271.jpg

Photo of decay forming in the limb headed over the house. This is the worst piece there is. Not that bad IMO. Internal decay was not very extensive. After seeing this I think my initial plan and a few of your suggestions hit the nail on the head. These guys could have made it at least 5 years without another look.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416942306.469066.jpg

Thanks for the pic SC.
My concern was where the houseward bound limb joined to the main trunk.
As the limb was solid that would be considerable weight if the attachment was as bad as
it looked in pics 7,8 & 9 of the OP.
Anyway, thanks for taking the trouble to post a pic.

.... This is the worst piece there is. Not that bad IMO. Internal decay was not very extensive. After seeing this I think my initial plan and a few of your suggestions hit the nail on the head. These guys could have made it at least 5 years without another look.

Absolutely right. If a dissection of the fork is shown, the amount of holding wood will be evident. Our judgments will be more in the perspective of our vast ignorance.

Rental property or not, a highly avoidable loss.

That is a nice surprise, if it has good form. I see hundreds planted here, all pruned like lollipops, thought the species can make a great central leader.

Back