best for rigging port a wraps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Whoopies, loopies, or dead eyes for port a wrap? The trees I normally take down are 15" to 36" in diameter. What is the best sling for this application? A friend of mine recently got a port a wrap a loves it, so looking at getting one along with new bull rope, block, and loopie for block. Any experienced advice on lowering limbs with this system is appreciated , thanks for your input.

I prefer the loopies for Portawrap because you just adjust and go. Sometimes when you get into bigger trunks you can be limited if it won't reach all the way around. But that's usually when you get to the 5'-6' diameter and up.

Loopies are simple and easy to install. As for advice in use, start small and let your ground man get the feel of it. Taking too many wraps is a common mistake and can shake the sh*t to of the climber. What size porta-wrap are you getting?

Thanks for all the input, the loopies look the best to me as well just wasn't sure . zale , what do you mean taking to many wraps? wraps around the porta wrap?

Oh and I wasn't sure if I should get the medium or large porta wrap. im in florida so like I said the largest we usually remove is pines 3-4' diameter and the porta wrap is mostly just for lowering limbs. Was thinking a medium port, 150' 9/16 bull rope, a block, and a couple of loopies should do it? let me know what you think. or maybe its worth it to get the big port with 3/4" bull rope?

Thanks for all the input, the loopies look the best to me as well just wasn't sure . zale , what do you mean taking to many wraps? wraps around the porta wrap?

Yes, too many wraps will not allow the piece to run smoothly. Starting with small pieces allows you to figure it out. For light to medium rigging I never use more than 2 wraps.

Oh and I wasn't sure if I should get the medium or large porta wrap. im in florida so like I said the largest we usually remove is pines 3-4' diameter and the porta wrap is mostly just for lowering limbs. Was thinking a medium port, 150' 9/16 bull rope, a block, and a couple of loopies should do it? let me know what you think. or maybe its worth it to get the big port with 3/4" bull rope?
3/4 is too big the 9/16.

Whoopi or a dead eye for the porty. I prefer the whoopi as it's easy for the groundies to set up. I don't trust them tying knots or hitches very often. Keep the loopies up on the blocks where they belong. I would also recomend the large porty. You can always run a smaller rope through it if you need to

great thanks for all the input. can anyone recommend a decent priced block for what im doing?

Can anyone tell me if this loopie rig is safe for rigging down limbs 600 lbs or less? or should I just buy the huge cmi block? the wll is 2200 lbs on this unit. I can usually block above cuts but want to be safe for negative blocking too

The part I don't understand is if I were to buy the big cmi block with a 5/8 loopie the WLL is 3000lbs, only 800lbs more than the loopie above. The dmm pulley above also holds 5/8" bull rope , just like the cmi block. So that would be like saying my safe working load with a bigger loopie and block is only 300lbs?

The part I don't understand is if I were to buy the big cmi block with a 5/8 loopie the WLL is 3000lbs, only 800lbs more than the loopie above. The dmm pulley above also holds 5/8" bull rope , just like the cmi block. So that would be like saying my safe working load with a bigger loopie and block is only 300lbs?
If I am understanding you correctly.....1st, just because a 5/8 rope fits doesnt mean the little pulley is as strong as a 5/8 block. and 2nd, are you sure you are not confusing "maximum breaking strength" with "safe working load"? BIG difference.

Latest posts

Back